Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 06:49 AM

103 posts, read 139,579 times

Advertisements

Have lived in St. Johns County for 25+ years. Have lived downtown, STA beach, and currently in the northern part of the county in the 'burbs. I frequent the "city limits" regularly for shopping and visiting family members.

Has it changed? Most definitely. My work gives me a first hand look into the poverty, homelessness and drug activity that exist just like anywhere. But I absolutely do not feel unsafe, ever. Yes there are areas to avoid at anytime of day, but assuming you are not looking to retire in these areas, you will be fine.

Always suggest renting first and following your instinct from there. Also to consider, the growth, with no end in sight. It is crowded, everywhere. My folks are retired and live 2 blocks from the beach on Anastasia Island. They have most everything they need in under 10 minutes. Crossing any bridge back into town is what they dread. US 1 and downtown are just oversaturated with cars, tourists, college kids.

I feel some of the charm is gone but good to hear you feel differently when visiting. It really does have so much to offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2019, 07:47 AM

661 posts, read 865,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover23 View Post
Have lived in St. Johns County for 25+ years. Have lived downtown, STA beach, and currently in the northern part of the county in the 'burbs. I frequent the "city limits" regularly for shopping and visiting family members.

Has it changed? Most definitely. My work gives me a first hand look into the poverty, homelessness and drug activity that exist just like anywhere. But I absolutely do not feel unsafe, ever. Yes there are areas to avoid at anytime of day, but assuming you are not looking to retire in these areas, you will be fine.

Always suggest renting first and following your instinct from there. Also to consider, the growth, with no end in sight. It is crowded, everywhere. My folks are retired and live 2 blocks from the beach on Anastasia Island. They have most everything they need in under 10 minutes. Crossing any bridge back into town is what they dread. US 1 and downtown are just oversaturated with cars, tourists, college kids.

I feel some of the charm is gone but good to hear you feel differently when visiting. It really does have so much to offer!
Well said. I guess one positive change is the explosion in the food scene.

Old 11-24-2019, 05:38 PM

41 posts, read 69,842 times
I live in what is often considered the "bad" part of St Augustine "west st Augustine" and have never had a single issue or been a victim of crime. Lincolnville is no longer considered a bad part of town but rather the opposite... It had become one of the trendiest and expensive. I think this trend will continue all around town were gentrification and home flippers will continue to change the dynamic of these once "bad" areas. My home has nearly doubled in value in the 6 years I've owned it! The high crime I believe is attributed to a small city population but extremely busy downtown area filled with tourists and millions of people from surrounding St johns county who consider downtown "theirs". The homeless population has grown but no more than I have seen all around the state and country. I don't give them the time of day and they don't bother me or my family. I've been here 20 years and love the fact I can ride my bike or walk downtown and only live a 5-10 minute drive to Vilano beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville