U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2019, 08:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,288 times

Advertisements

Hi, all.... My wife and I are looking at retiring in about 5 1/2 years, and I am very attracted to St Augustine for a number of reasons. We've visited a few times (coming back in December) and really like the climate, vibe, history and beaches. Been looking at various things and this popped up -

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Seems like crime rate is pretty high across the board..... I'm wondering what current St Augustine residents feel about this. Do you feel 'unsafe'? Have you been personally impacted by what seems to be a very high crime rate? I'll note that we have not felt unsafe at all when we have visited, and we've stayed downtown. Planning on staying at a beach this year.

Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Yac; 11-13-2019 at 12:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2019, 12:52 PM

370 posts, read 268,297 times
St Augustine has grown a lot. I don't currently live in St Aug but did for years. It is a so much busier now where it used to be dead quiet in the winter but not any more. Drugs and fights were the most common issue back in the 90's when I lived there. I am pretty sure that is still the norm but with higher rates of theft and the drugs are worse these days. I know when you visit you think wow i want to live here. It's a great city but there is a pretty bad drug problem and not just weed smokers. There is an abundance of meth and heroin arrests pretty much everyday. Other than that, I don't think violent crime is really much of an issue. Likely isolated to bad neighborhoods near the city. I would live in St Augustine again and might end up back there at some point in my life.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:12 PM

13 posts, read 5,071 times
I think their numbers are skewed by the low population. We moved here in 2015 and go to old town St Augustine a few times a week and have no problems. See the data from the link you provided that seems pretty low to me. There are rough parts of St Augustine but I doubt you'd be living or wandering around there. It's obvious if you are in a bad area so unless you are looking for what that area offers I think you won't need to go in those places.

MURDER RAPE ROBBERY ASSAULT
Report Total 1 6 23 70

Old 11-01-2019, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 1,288 times
Thanks for the responses..... Not much activity on this board I guess.

The crime 'rate' is that, a 'rate', so that accounts for the population size. So yes, the actual numbers of crimes aren't that large, but they are tracked as a percentage of the population.

On another topic, are there local forums or boards where there is more local discussion of St Augustine? There is a Facebook group I belong to but they don't really allow for much discussion of local issues, mostly just (beautiful) pictures and asking for recommendations.... I see there is a Nextdoor group but I'm having trouble joining that.

Thx.

Old 11-01-2019, 08:40 AM

370 posts, read 268,297 times
I say follow your heart. If there a number of reasons you love St Augustine (and there are a number of reasons that I do as well), then set your sights on moving there. The higher crime areas are along king st, lincolnville and smaller pockets in neighborhoods west of town. If you go looking for the cheapest place to live, you're going to end up closer to worse areas. I suggest checking out Crescent Beach.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:46 PM

Keep in mind there are a lot of areas called St Augustine due to their zip code but they are outside of what' i'd call the city limits. I'd think you'd find lower crime in those areas. They are going to be newer housing in planned neighborhoods, some gated, some not.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:46 AM

4,737 posts, read 3,417,272 times
MY CHANCES OF BECOMING A VICTIM OF A VIOLENT CRIME in St Augustine
1 IN 142

This pretty much sums it up. You can probably multiply that out 50 times if you don't do drugs and aren't out wandering the streets after midnight.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:24 AM

1,002 posts, read 2,306,540 times
The downtown area is full of vagrants and IMHO te place has deteriorated in the past few years so much so we moved out

Old 11-04-2019, 09:22 PM

We walk around downtown 2-3 nights a week mostly in the tourist areas. We aren't out there to often after 10pm but always feel safe.

I would avoid the area west of US1 and King Street and similar to the north on the West side of US1. But as Florida2014 wisely put. If you aren't living fast and hanging in areas where others are you'll greatly improve your safety factor.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:24 AM

4,737 posts, read 3,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
The downtown area is full of vagrants and IMHO te place has deteriorated in the past few years so much so we moved out
Few people actually live in downtown St Augustine, so I wouldn't factor this in if I were deciding to move to S.A. or not. Nearly every major city's downtown area can be fraught with homelessness, drug activity, etc. In fact, St Augustine's is fairly tame compared to other, larger cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville