U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2019, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,132 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to relocate to Jacksonville in the next year and a half. Empty nesters in our 50's and not ready for retirement yet....unfortunately..... Husband will work uptown for B of A and I am a teacher. Want a golf course community. So much to choose from and need some advice. Want to stay in the 300's for a home. Thanks!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2019, 05:25 PM

4,274 posts, read 12,935,222 times
There are a few golf course communities as you've probably found. I can only speak of Eagle Harbor in Fleming Island ... lived there until 2012 (ha...then went to Gastonia in your neck of the woods ... back in Jax now though). We really liked EH. Very friendly, properties are well-kept, good golf course, nice driving range, restaurant (open to public) has gone through some changes, tennis courts, 3 pools. Access to amenities are included in HOA fees, but I don't know what the golf membership fee is. I believe most properties in EH have CCD fees. The commute to downtown Jax could be a bit of a task going by way of Hwy 17 all the way to I-10/I-95 interchange or going I-295 over the Buckman Bridge and up I-95 (less desirable). As well, it would depend upon where you would be teaching. General rule of thumb is to live on the same side of the St. Johns River as where you work (although rules are made to be broken of course).

Old 11-03-2019, 07:02 AM

6,786 posts, read 7,492,239 times
do you mean downtown? I haven't heard of an uptown area in Jax. But the majority of BoA employees are not downtown so definitely want to confirm.

Old 11-03-2019, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
do you mean downtown? I haven't heard of an uptown area in Jax. But the majority of BoA employees are not downtown so definitely want to confirm.
OP probably referring to downtown. Charlotte's downtown is called uptown ... hard to get used to using the vernacular of the locals :-)

Old 11-03-2019, 07:18 AM

Yeah I agree but just want to be sure. The commute to the Southside campuses is pretty different from the commute to downtown.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 PM

2 posts, read 1,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Sorry. I did mean downtown. We call it uptown here in Charlotte.

Old 11-04-2019, 09:27 AM

370 posts, read 268,847 times
Deerwood, St Johns Golf and Country, Sawgrass, World Golf Village, North Hamptons, South Hamptons

Deerwood is the shortest commute and closer to the hustle and bustle of Jax.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:15 PM

297 posts, read 473,698 times
Doubt the OP will find anything in the 300s in Deerwood or St. Johns Golf & Country Club. Maybe in Sawgrass if it's a patio home or small home in the older section Oak Bridge. World Golf Village is too far away. Not familiar with Hamptons.

I second looking at Eagle Harbor or Fleming Island Plantation in Fleming Island. We moved from Charlotte to Eagle Harbor 16 years ago, but moved to the beach as empty nesters/pre-retirees 4 years ago. I'm a beach person but never stay all day, and the drive to the beach from Fleming Island was too far just to take a walk or spend a couple hours.

LaineyD, Fleming Island is your best bet for staying in the 300s in a golf course community. Home prices west of the St. Johns River are less. Don't know if it's changed, but in Eagle Harbor, we were able to have our own golf cart (had to be a specific color) to drive to/on the course, which was nice.

My husband drove to work downtown but didn't take either of the routes mawipafl suggested. He drove north on 17 and then took side roads. Couldn't tell you the route, only that he made a right off 17. I don't know if that will work for the OP's husband since I don't know where BofA is.

Mawipafl, you went from Eagle Harbor to Gastonia? Yikes.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:21 PM

In addition to Deerwood above, you could check out Deercreek. Unfortunately neither is an easy commute to downtown, but it's not too horrendous. There are a few other options in the same general distance that you might like more, but I don't think they have any options under $400k. Even Deerwood and Deercreek are pretty limited in that price range.

Old 11-04-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayT15 View Post

.... My husband drove to work downtown but didn't take either of the routes mawipafl suggested. He drove north on 17 and then took side roads. Couldn't tell you the route, only that he made a right off 17. I don't know if that will work for the OP's husband since I don't know where BofA is.

Mawipafl, you went from Eagle Harbor to Gastonia? Yikes.
I'm guessing the right turn onto side streets off 17 was probably through Avondale or Riverside, and yes, options rather than going as far as the 95/10 split.

Yup Eagle Harbor to Gastonia ... lived in the York-Chester Historic District ... really nice, but called back to Jax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or