U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 06:59 PM

370 posts, read 268,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Great comeback win by the Jags although I still hope we make some changes with coaching next year. Definitely going to be a tough call determining starting QB.

On another note it was a bit sad to see those really passionate Raiders fans seeing their team playing for the last time in their stadium. They have one heck of a fan base but they do have the population to support it.
I've pulled against the Raiders for the most part over the years but yeah...it was pretty sad to watch the final game in Oakland. Here's to Madden, Lyle, Stabler, Allen, Long, Otto, T Brown, Otto etc...for making NFL history. Hated watching their fans over the years in some games but I could see their hearts pouring out at the end of the game today. Cheers black and silver! Cheer on your Raiders in Vegas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 01:32 PM

4,728 posts, read 3,415,177 times
My only hope is this win and any potential win vs. the Falcons next week doesn't influence Khan at all when considering a GM/coaching change in the offseason. A win is a win but I was barely watching yesterday if I'm being honest.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:21 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,153,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
My only hope is this win and any potential win vs. the Falcons next week doesn't influence Khan at all when considering a GM/coaching change in the offseason. A win is a win but I was barely watching yesterday if I'm being honest.
I feel the same way and feel like a bad fan for it but there was a glimmer of hope in one of Gus Bradley's last seasons which with a few late season wins parlayed into extending him another year and we all know what happened after that.

So many QB's, so many great players coming and going along with coaching staff over the last twenty plus years.

I would love to see a truly solid rebuilding process that allows consistency for several years.

Old 12-16-2019, 02:41 PM

I think it has to start with the offensive line. Without that the team can accomplish nothing. Both Foles and Minshew are consistently under pressure when dropping back and that's just not going to work in today's game. It's a quick passing game now and if you're forced to hold the ball for more than 2 seconds you're toast.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:25 PM

5,538 posts, read 4,499,131 times
Quote:
I think it has to start with the offensive line. Without that the team can accomplish nothing. Both Foles and Minshew are consistently under pressure when dropping back and that's just not going to work in today's game. It's a quick passing game now and if you're forced to hold the ball for more than 2 seconds you're toast.
Yep! The offensive line is, has been, and always will be the most important unit on any football team. It's a proven fact the strongest, smartest QB cannot pass from a horizontal position. As great as Fournette is, he can't run with 3 300 pound men holding him. How many times has he had a long run brought back because of an O-line penalty? You can win championships with a mediocre QB, but not a crappy O-line.

Old 12-17-2019, 06:01 AM

So this news from the NFLPA is very disconcerting. Sounds like the Jags have been fining players like Fowler for not rehabbing in their facilities, but the collective bargaining agreement allows players to rehab outside of the home facility. Fowler was fined over $700K and you just know this has Coughlin written all over it. Never in my lifetime have I seen a message from the NFLPA warning free agents not to sign with a particular team.

Coughlin MUST go. Today's game has clearly passed him by.

Old 12-17-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
So this news from the NFLPA is very disconcerting. Sounds like the Jags have been fining players like Fowler for not rehabbing in their facilities, but the collective bargaining agreement allows players to rehab outside of the home facility. Fowler was fined over $700K and you just know this has Coughlin written all over it. Never in my lifetime have I seen a message from the NFLPA warning free agents not to sign with a particular team.

Coughlin MUST go. Today's game has clearly passed him by.
I happen to agree with you that this is definitely a red flag, but at the same time looking back you have to see there has been disciplinary problems in the locker room.

There has been so many issues with the players over the last few years with the likes of Jones, Soward, Blackmon, Harrison, Ramsey, Porter, the debacle the night before the London game a few years back and so many more.

We have also had so many holdouts over the years over salary also.

This carries over to the field also with the Jaguars leading the NFL in penalties.

You see very little coach to player interaction or engagement on the sidelines during the games.

Bottom line is management can control a lot of these issues but somehow they haven’t been able to control the locker room.

On the other hand do you think a lot of these players come to Jacksonville only to find out it is a small market without any of the big city or bright lights and just bide their time?

It is so easy to be an armchair QB but this team does lack the right formula for success in my humble opinion.

Last edited by JBtwinz; 12-17-2019 at 08:12 AM..

Old 12-17-2019, 08:15 AM

I think the discipline issues and this are two different things. When Fournette goes into the crowd to fight a fan or when Ramsey shoves a coach, if the league doesn't step in to handle it, the Jags can and should suspend the player(s) for such behavior. That hits them in the pocketbook as well.

But fining Dante Fowler for not rehabbing in a Jaguars facility to the tune of $700,000??? That's borderline bullying and Coughlin and anyone in the organization would have to have known that goes against their agreement with the players. It does the team no good for that type of stance. If you're a free agent and considering a move to Jacksonville or another team, that just might be the reason why you choose not to come play for the Jaguars, knowing there is a tyrant who can and will fine you to death for any perceived infraction.

I think any sane free agent would understand suspending a player for refusing to enter a game, shoving a coach or any nonsense like that. I don't think that's a deterrent to playing for a team. But when your union openly warns you against signing for a team......my goodness, Khan has to be absolutely beside himself today.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
I think the discipline issues and this are two different things. When Fournette goes into the crowd to fight a fan or when Ramsey shoves a coach, if the league doesn't step in to handle it, the Jags can and should suspend the player(s) for such behavior. That hits them in the pocketbook as well.

But fining Dante Fowler for not rehabbing in a Jaguars facility to the tune of $700,000??? That's borderline bullying and Coughlin and anyone in the organization would have to have known that goes against their agreement with the players. It does the team no good for that type of stance. If you're a free agent and considering a move to Jacksonville or another team, that just might be the reason why you choose not to come play for the Jaguars, knowing there is a tyrant who can and will fine you to death for any perceived infraction.

I think any sane free agent would understand suspending a player for refusing to enter a game, shoving a coach or any nonsense like that. I don't think that's a deterrent to playing for a team. But when your union openly warns you against signing for a team......my goodness, Khan has to be absolutely beside himself today.
It is hard to put into perspective but while agreeing the 700k is troubling I have to say that a well unified team in the locker room breeds success both on and off the field and this carries on to both the players and coaching staff respecting each other.

Both Fowler and Ramsey were having issues with the team that continued to fester. The so called flu and back injury were perfect examples. Fowler has had discipline issues going back to Gus.

These guys are getting contracts for millions of dollars and while not sticking up for management if I had an injured player worth millions I would definitely want to have my finger on the pulse of his progress, but as you say if mangement isn't able to put together a positive atmosphere in the locker room I can see where things can get out of hand.

Attitude is everything both on and off the field..............and we don't have it yet. In retrospect we don't have an owner like Snyder who butts in too much but then Shad I think really thought Coughlin could be the guy to right the franchise without Shad getting heavy handed. I wonder if he has anyone in mind to replace Tom to turn this thing around?

Fowler among others had been a problem child. There was something not getting taken care with the players in terms of setting things straight by the coaches that most likely built up the drama with Fowler and Ramsey.

https://www.theintelligencer.com/spo...f-10683129.php

Last edited by JBtwinz; 12-17-2019 at 09:03 AM..

Old 12-18-2019, 04:41 AM

Interesting article about Coughlin and the Jaguars. Is it me or were things really a bit too loose in the locker room?

https://www.jacksonville.com/sports/...d-tom-coughlin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville