Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 08:38 AM

253 posts, read 190,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I think a lot of that is longevity and continuity of the staff. Pats and Steelers have rolled with the same HC's forever. That really helps their QBs quite a bit, especially if you draft them young (Big Ben & GOAT). That's why I think we need to stick with Pederson and Trevor for at least the next 3 or 4 years to see how this pans out. TL has now had, what, 3 different head coaches and offensive coordinators already? That's just really hard on a young QB. Not making excuses for the kid but that's just the reality of it.
I tend to agree however....CJ Bethard isn't a bad QB. I think maybe we need to see more of him when Trevor starts "Trevoring", if you catch my drift? Warming a bench can have an amazing impact on one's ability to learn and grow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2022, 09:58 AM

9,394 posts, read 8,363,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
I tend to agree however....CJ Bethard isn't a bad QB. I think maybe we need to see more of him when Trevor starts "Trevoring", if you catch my drift? Warming a bench can have an amazing impact on one's ability to learn and grow.
Nobody is a bigger Beathard fan than I am as I'm a lifelong Iowa Hawkeyes diehard; however, even when Trevor starts doing dumb things you've gotta keep him in. The only way this kid improves is through reps, especially live reps in games. Will it cost us a few games? Probably. But we have to take a long-term mindset here with Trevor. Very few QBs are Patrick Mahomes in their 2nd season, it just doesn't happen that way. You need time, good coaching and a very motivated QB and TLaw seems eager to improve.

Unless things change dramatically, we aren't going to make the playoffs this year so it's all about developing young talent right now and that starts at the top with TLaw.

I wish nothing but the best for CJ but I don't believe he's a starting NFL QB. He has flashes but was/is never consistent enough to warrant a starting gig.

Old 10-23-2022, 06:03 PM

5,201 posts, read 6,142,795 times
Well that didn’t go to well. Though we are developing this would have been the year for the Jaguars to catch a break, so many teams are suffering inconsistencies.

Giants had so many key players out and our penalties and play calling killed us. Jaguars should have went for a field goal instead of trying to score as at least we would have been up seven if the Giants had come back and score which they did. At least then we would have been tied and possibly returned with a field goal.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:41 AM

That loss is on Doug P. Never should have went for it up 4 with the ball deep in Giants territory. I know he's a risk taker and known for that; however, there is a time and place to go for it and there is a time and place to take the points and with your D playing relatively well, you take the points there.

So many small things could have happened that would have allowed the Jags to win yesterday. Just one play here and there and the game could have been won.

On the bright side, we likely aren't going to the playoffs and with yet another top 10 draft pick we can shore up the Oline and maybe draft a game changing WR. I feel like the D is good enough right now save for last week's embarrassment.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:12 AM

I did not expect the playoffs this year but seeing how everyone else in our conference is playing I thought we could have been doing better.

Jacksonville is such a melting pot with all the transplants moving here it is always amazing to me to see so many away teams fans dominate in our stadium. It was a sea of blue yesterday and the cheers for the Giants was incredible.

As far as draft picks, it will be nice one day to worry about the playoffs rather than looking forward to draft picks.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:31 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
I feel the expectation of TL of being a top-tier QB with bargain basement second/third tier WRs and TEs is a bit much. Until the Jags owner/mgmt commits to paying the big bucks to fewer high impact free agents, they'll always be a middling mid-pack or lower team.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:40 AM

I was watching the Dolphins game last night at Hard Rock Stadium. That is exactly what the Jags need. A temperature controlled retractable roof dome that can be opened/closed in the same way. I think that would really do wonders for this team to be able to attract more people to the games. And not just the opposing team's fans. I feel like this area really wants to support the home team but years of loss after loss after loss has just sapped the support away.

And without a ton of local support, my guess is Khan couldn't get that done without some type of tax increase and/or subsidies of some sort on Duval residents to help defray the cost.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:53 AM

253 posts, read 190,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I was watching the Dolphins game last night at Hard Rock Stadium. That is exactly what the Jags need. A temperature controlled retractable roof dome that can be opened/closed in the same way. I think that would really do wonders for this team to be able to attract more people to the games. And not just the opposing team's fans. I feel like this area really wants to support the home team but years of loss after loss after loss has just sapped the support away.

And without a ton of local support, my guess is Khan couldn't get that done without some type of tax increase and/or subsidies of some sort on Duval residents to help defray the cost.
Funny thing is, I always viewed Jacksonville's climate (hot and humid) as an asset to the team. Working out in the Summer in these conditions should (in theory) make the Jags one of the best physically conditioned teams in the NFL. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Based on that I tend to be anti-dome (use the sun and the heat to wear down opponents), but I do see the value of shade/AC for fans. But but, I'm also anti-corporate welfare (taxpayers footing the bill for the dome). Would make more sense to levy a fee on all tickets sold for any even held with TIAA Bank field, as well as a usage fee for those who bring events in (Monster Trucks, concerts, Georgia/Florida, etc). Just a thought.

Old 10-24-2022, 08:10 AM

I am not a Duval county taxpayer so I have no dog in this fight but the city has given Kahn everything he desires while ignoring existing business downtown, Except for the MOSH there is nothing to draw families downtown. Many of those living in Jacksonville will not benefit from the four seasons.

So many cities would kill to have a river walk like we have and all we are going to have is a state of the art NFL football campus.

Georgia wants its game back, upgrade the stadium but also find away to entertain people before and after the games and start competing for national events, don’t rely on just the Jaguars.

My two cents from someone who has lived here thirty three years and witnessed the Landing from cradle to grave

Old 10-24-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 912904 View Post
Funny thing is, I always viewed Jacksonville's climate (hot and humid) as an asset to the team. Working out in the Summer in these conditions should (in theory) make the Jags one of the best physically conditioned teams in the NFL. That doesn't seem to be the case.

Based on that I tend to be anti-dome (use the sun and the heat to wear down opponents), but I do see the value of shade/AC for fans. But but, I'm also anti-corporate welfare (taxpayers footing the bill for the dome). Would make more sense to levy a fee on all tickets sold for any even held with TIAA Bank field, as well as a usage fee for those who bring events in (Monster Trucks, concerts, Georgia/Florida, etc). Just a thought.
As someone who lived in Denver for many years at 5,280 feet of altitude, I used to think that was a huge advantage for the local teams.....nope! Not really. These are professional athletes and most of them are in elite shape, so throwing snow/cold/rain/heat/humidity/altitude may have *some* effect on the players but not as much as one would think. So many of these guys are from the SEC/south anyway.

I used to be anti-dome until I went to a Jags game in September and nearly passed out with heat exhaustion just sitting.

If the city could come up with a creative way to subsidize the cost of a new stadium that would be great but generally the costs end up being borne by the residents in the form of tax hikes and I'm 99% certain Duval residents would not be in favor of that for this franchise, at least not currently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville