Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2023, 05:55 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

If I was ultra wealthy and had a few million sitting around looking to invest, I might seriously now consider buying up some properties around the new stadium in the hopes of flipping them. I would be willing to be at SOME point in the next 5-10 years that area becomes prime for gentrification. I know we've all been hoping for that for a while now but this new stadium COULD plus having a franchise QB for the next 10+ years (knock on wood) could be the magic sauce to reinvent that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 07:37 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
If I was ultra wealthy and had a few million sitting around looking to invest, I might seriously now consider buying up some properties around the new stadium in the hopes of flipping them. I would be willing to be at SOME point in the next 5-10 years that area becomes prime for gentrification. I know we've all been hoping for that for a while now but this new stadium COULD plus having a franchise QB for the next 10+ years (knock on wood) could be the magic sauce to reinvent that area.
I've always wanted this house. Tailgate central lol:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...44532334_zpid/

Old 06-09-2023, 07:45 AM

That's awesome!!! Look how cheap that is too.

Old 06-09-2023, 08:44 AM

5,126 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
I hope you are right, since we welcomed the Jaguars things downtown have only gotten worse as far as vibrancy.

I have traveled extensively both domestically and internationally and Jacksonville having the Saint Johns River running through it along with it’s boardwalks would make so many cities envious.

We have a weird vibe here in Jacksonville, the Saint Johns Town Center and River City provide a stronger pull than desire to hangout in a vibrant urban core.

While the agriculture center at the fairgrounds isn’t a state of the art facility it does have many events we have attended as a family and now with Khan purchasing it will will move to the west side to the equestrian center.

It’s is funny you mention the property aspects around the stadium. There was an article a few years back that mentioned the exact same thing that the property surrounding the stadium were the most inexpensive out of all the NFL teams.

As I stated having been here since 1989 and was able to enjoy the Landing, Harbormasters and then the River City Brewing, the water taxis and much more it’s disappointing to see downtown where it is now.

I love having the Jaguars here in Jacksonville, I just wish the city of Jacksonville could have spread around some seed money for small business and housing. They invest 100% in Khan and have given up so much in return such as stadium naming rights, etc.

Old 06-09-2023, 01:12 PM

I hear you. Jax is the only major metropolitan city I know of that has such a barren downtown. I think the city needs to try and bring in more financial incentives for employers (along with the buildings needed for them to call home). That's a way to essentially force people to go downtown daily. Having more people will mean more demand for restaurants, bars, nightlife, entertainment. I know, easier said than done but you're so spot on, it's crazy to me how perfect our downtown is with the river running through it yet it's a ghost town most evenings.

Old 06-15-2023, 07:04 PM

Went to one of the Jaguars town hall events tonight at the Mellow Mushroom near JIA (last minute change from the Hyatt).

The presentation of the stadium was pretty impressive. If it comes to fruition it will be pretty state of the art and definitely a unique experience attending football games.

A few items from the audience Q & A’s:

Could we host a Super Bowl after the stadium renovations are complete. Jaguars response was not until the hotel situation improves and there is better infrastructure in place to entertain those attending.

Is the roof fully covered? Jaguars response was there will be a roof made up a a very high tech film much like a sun glass lens. The film is supposed to lower the outside temperatures by 15 degrees. There will be some sort of a way to allow the air in through the stadium. There will be no AC or heat.

How many seats. jaguars response, 62,000 with the ability to easily add 10,000 through a system of seats that can be retracted in and out.

There were several in the audience that loved the stadium renovation but questioned the need to burden taxpayers and mentioned examples of things in the city that needed attention now. Jaguars response was those are issues that the taxpayers need to address to their city council members.

Will season ticket holders be adversely affected by those games played offsite. Jaguars response, no and mentioned the meeting with the Daytona people tomorrow. Jaguars also mentioned the need for infrastructure upgrades and other things need to be done at the track to bring the games there.

Someone asked about the playing field if it would remain turf. Jaguars stated that there is not enough room to have a retractable field so they would try to keep turf but due to the film and areas of the field not getting direct sunlight grow lights might have to be brought in.

Among other things, four food zones in each of the four corners. It would be franchises that are in place in town and the Jaguars mentioned they would have to charge what they charge locally at the stadium.

I could be mistaken but I believe the huge scoreboards would be replaced and also there would be a walkway all around the stadium above the stadium top seating. The bud zone would be relocated to the opposite end of the stadium. Jaguars also mentioned they have a high demand for high end seating that they can’t meet now.

If you have a chance to go to one of the remaining town halls I would definitely recommend it.

Definitely a lot to think about for the city of Jacksonville with the Jaguars touting the renovation as a way of revitalizing downtown.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:29 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,148,490 times
Thanks for the detailed info. I've heard that the Jags won't institute PSLs (personal seat licenses) when the reno is finished. That was one thing I was afraid would be put in place but apparently/luckily the Jax market is too small to support PSLs.

We're going on 8 years as season ticketholders so I need to to find out if we'll be allowed to take 2 years off from purchasing season tickets (if the location is set to either Orlando, Gainesville or Daytona) and still maintain loyalty pricing/seat location once the reno's done.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:39 AM

A film that lowers temps by 15 degrees??? Hmmm, not sure I believe that but even if that's true, a September/October 1pm game would still be in the upper 80s, still a bit hot for an "indoor" stadium. Of course we lose one of those every year to London so maybe it won't matter that much.

I have heard Daytona is the leader for where we play during the renovations, was that finalized? I hope so, I much prefer that over a half empty Gators stadium.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:24 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
I hear you. Jax is the only major metropolitan city I know of that has such a barren downtown. I think the city needs to try and bring in more financial incentives for employers (along with the buildings needed for them to call home). That's a way to essentially force people to go downtown daily. Having more people will mean more demand for restaurants, bars, nightlife, entertainment. I know, easier said than done but you're so spot on, it's crazy to me how perfect our downtown is with the river running through it yet it's a ghost town most evenings.
The city should think about benchmarking a city like Indianapolis or Cincinnati to see how they turned the corner to make the downtown area a focal point. Indy has been up and running for a while but Cincy is a relative newbie with its downtown revitalization.

Old 06-16-2023, 02:13 PM

Quote:
A film that lowers temps by 15 degrees??? Hmmm, not sure I believe that but even if that's true, a September/October 1pm game would still be in the upper 80s, still a bit hot for an "indoor" stadium. Of course we lose one of those every year to London so maybe it won't matter that much.

I have heard Daytona is the leader for where we play during the renovations, was that finalized? I hope so, I much prefer that over a half empty Gators stadium.
They mentioned some type of breezeway effect where they could manipulate some type of openings to allow the air to flow through the stadium.

I saw some comments on the news website about the film being highly reflective and it could blind cars driving on the expressway. I thought it was a goofy commenter but the jags actually addressed that saying they need to consider that.

To Ivan Putski, the Jaguars said season ticket holders would not be held to paying for the two years of away games.

There was so much information given out. A lot of great information given out. Definitely a must see town hall for season ticket holders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville