U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,331,213 times

Advertisements

There it is. 2 games back-to-back in London...

Oh but wait, we get a 5% (average) price reduction and 50% off preseason games. Hold on, that's not all, we also received a guarantee that the Bears and Steelers game will be played in Jacksonville. Plus: "season ticket holders will receive a strong benefits package with both features new and improved... blah blah"

Play those London games in September or early October and I'll be somewhat ok with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2020, 12:05 PM

4,746 posts, read 3,422,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post

Play those London games in September or early October and I'll be somewhat ok with this.
I was thinking the same thing but it is doubtful this happens. Opening day is typically one of the most attended days and they wouldn't give that up....although I guess technically you could have another "opening day" when they return from London.

Don't forget the parking lot improvements.

Old 02-05-2020, 06:01 AM

On radio this a.m. a few NFL "experts" were claiming the move to London is inevitable for one NFL franchise and that the Jaguars are obviously the most likely team.

I still don't understand why Khan would invest that money into the surrounding areas of the stadium if he was going to move the team. And I really don't understand how this would all work logistically with this team and all of the teams who had to travel abroad to play a London-based team. People who have made the trip to watch the games say there is very little local interest in the NFL in Europe and that the majority of the fans are ex-pats living abroad.

Old 02-05-2020, 02:36 PM

3,090 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Kahn is a business man first and foremost and no matter what the fans think he’s going to do what he needs to do to market the team, and bring in as much revenue as he can.

He has made some pretty smart moves in Jacksonville such as getting the revenue for the stadium naming rights, getting exclusivity for revenue at the amphitheater and a part of the stadium revenue for non-Jaguar events and getting the city to pay half of all renovations and improvements to both those property’s.

As far as moving the Jaguars, I find it hard to believe as much as he is investing around the stadium and downtown he would move the Jaguars. If he did, I can’t imagine what the city of Jacksonville would do with a state of the art stadium.

Now for my three cents as a fan an a armchair quarterback, like it was mentioned I would take two of our early notoriously hot home games and play those in London.

As much as everyone likes state of the art stadiums, for the life of me I don’t understand why we needed pools, doggy zones and the biggest scoreboard in the NFL. If they wanted to better the fan experience they should have also opened the south end zone up with a cross over like Gillette to let some wind in to take the heat out.

They say the next contract for the stadium lease is going include an agreement on renovations to possibly block out some of the sun.

Kansas City waited 50 years for a SB, at my age I won’t see that in my lifetime with the Jaguars if they take that long

Old 02-05-2020, 02:52 PM

I totally agree with your points about the stadium. I never quite understood the point of a pool at a stadium, nor why anyone would want to take their dog to a game. The pool is a glorified hot tub minus the heat, it's not very large and when CBS closes in they pretty much show everything so heaven help you if a camera is pointing your way and you're doing anything out of the ordinary while in there.

They were nothing more than marketing ploys to get some buzz going around a stadium that is simply too freaking hot to attend for the first 2-3 months of the season. We are Raymond James Stadium East.

Old 02-05-2020, 03:27 PM

1,265 posts, read 1,331,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Now for my three cents as a fan an a armchair quarterback, like it was mentioned I would take two of our early notoriously hot home games and play those in London.
Remains to be seen but unfortunately, the recent trend has been to play the London game during the Florida Georgia weekend which typically falls on the last weekend in October. This year's Florida Georgia is 10/31/2020 so my guess is that they'll play back to back London games bracketing that weekend. Hoping that's not the case...

Only exception was in 2016 and 2017 when they did the fans a fan a favor and played in late September and early October.

Old 03-02-2020, 06:43 AM

Yannick Ngakoue said his farewell to Jacksonville online this weekend. While I think he's very good, I don't think he's worth the money he's asking for ($20 mil per). That's elite defensive lineman money there and he's not elite, he had like 8 sacks last year, a single sack every other game? No thanks, Yan. Hopefully franchising him means we can trade him for a really good TE and not have to worry about that position in the draft.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:55 AM

From everything I read and hear this Jaguars team will again be in a top to bottom rebuilding phase.

It’s pretty much in the past but I would still love to know the inner workings of these past two years meltdown with Caldwell, Coughlin and Marrone and how it played out. I know a lot was riding on developing the team around Foles but to see Coughlin take all the blame and become the scapegoat for this team is puzzling for an organization with so many pieces to the puzzle.

I am perfectly content watching this team rebuild again over the next two years if they can build a solid base of young talent for the future.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:52 AM

I've never seen a team need to rebuild so frequently in any sport. The team made huge bets on Bortles and all of those high priced defensive players such as Campbell and Dareus. They got one single good year out of that team and that was it and you could argue they only got "hot" in the playoffs for 2 games.

I'm find rebuilding again as well but this has got ridiculous. What's most ludicrous is that our highest paid player, Foles, likely won't even be a starter.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I've never seen a team need to rebuild so frequently in any sport. The team made huge bets on Bortles and all of those high priced defensive players such as Campbell and Dareus. They got one single good year out of that team and that was it and you could argue they only got "hot" in the playoffs for 2 games.

I'm find rebuilding again as well but this has got ridiculous. What's most ludicrous is that our highest paid player, Foles, likely won't even be a starter.
Your right, I try to be optimistic but it is like the movie Groundhog Day with this teams rebuilding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville