U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2020, 01:43 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,102,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflguy View Post
Hi all,
A few of you probably have more experience than I do with this, and I have a question for y'all. We were looking closely at our shower grout last night because we noticed that water was pooling after our shower. What we found was that there are areas that are extremely thin (looks like it was washing away and getting real thin), cracked and chipped, and just straight up holes in the grout in some places. I filed a warranty claim with the builder, and I'm sure the trade's solution will be to just add more grout and call it good. The builder uses Denshield water proofing, but from what I can tell, that's only on the walls per the mfr website. Is there any concern for mold/water damage from the floor grout getting messed up? Thanks!
No real concern for mold/moisture damage, as underneath the tile/grout is concrete on the floor. Not sure who your builder is, but our builder did a 1 year "call back" for warranty issues, and re-caulked and re-grouted the areas in our showers that needed it.

Granted, they used the cheapest caulk and grout available, so 5 years later it's full of holes and cracks again, but your builder should have to come back and repair that at no charge, since it's still under the 1 yr warranty that most builders carry on those types of things.

Make sure to let your shower dry out completely though (about 48 hours) prior to completing the work, or you'll end up with mildew on the underside of the caulk.

SS
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2020, 04:06 AM

31 posts, read 16,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
No real concern for mold/moisture damage, as underneath the tile/grout is concrete on the floor. Not sure who your builder is, but our builder did a 1 year "call back" for warranty issues, and re-caulked and re-grouted the areas in our showers that needed it.

Granted, they used the cheapest caulk and grout available, so 5 years later it's full of holes and cracks again, but your builder should have to come back and repair that at no charge, since it's still under the 1 yr warranty that most builders carry on those types of things.

Make sure to let your shower dry out completely though (about 48 hours) prior to completing the work, or you'll end up with mildew on the underside of the caulk.

SS
DFH is working to get it fixed. Designers and Builders (the sub) is a trash company who won't even return phone calls. So DFH is getting someone else on line to come out and inspect and fix the grout. My real concern for mold is on the step up out of the shower. I'm construction illiterate so I don't know if the shower pan goes up to the step, or if that is where they should have put the Denoshield. Either way, I told them they need to inspect it since there are areas completely missing grout. Hopefully DFH will continue a positive follow through.
Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville