U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2019, 07:42 AM

31 posts, read 16,955 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
A few of you probably have more experience than I do with this, and I have a question for y'all. We were looking closely at our shower grout last night because we noticed that water was pooling after our shower. What we found was that there are areas that are extremely thin (looks like it was washing away and getting real thin), cracked and chipped, and just straight up holes in the grout in some places. I filed a warranty claim with the builder, and I'm sure the trade's solution will be to just add more grout and call it good. The builder uses Denshield water proofing, but from what I can tell, that's only on the walls per the mfr website. Is there any concern for mold/water damage from the floor grout getting messed up? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2019, 07:48 AM

4,728 posts, read 3,415,177 times
I'm no expert but we had similar issues in our shower and just had Sir Grout come out and re-grout the entire shower for not a ton of money. Sounds like a common problem with tiled showers.

Old 12-09-2019, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I'm no expert but we had similar issues in our shower and just had Sir Grout come out and re-grout the entire shower for not a ton of money. Sounds like a common problem with tiled showers.
Thanks for the reply... how long did it take for your grout to wear away? We've only been in our house for just over 6 months which I think is ridiculous. Thanks.

Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 AM

4,728 posts, read 3,415,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflguy View Post
Thanks for the reply... how long did it take for your grout to wear away? We've only been in our house for just over 6 months which I think is ridiculous. Thanks.
Ours was an 8 year old house at the time, but we probably waited several months too long. I do worry that some water got down between the opened cracks but nothing we can do about that now. I would agree that 6 mos sounds like a builder issue and should be covered under warranty.

Old 12-10-2019, 06:49 AM

697 posts, read 407,205 times
Replaced with a custom sized 8' x 4' one of these...… No problems for 10 years so far and counting.

https://www.onyxcollection.com/shower-bases-pans.html

Old 12-10-2019, 09:58 AM

2,447 posts, read 5,447,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Thank you for mentioning Sir Grout. I can easily use them as a specialty vendor in my property management business.

Old 12-12-2019, 09:46 AM

2,046 posts, read 3,102,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflguy View Post
Hi all,
A few of you probably have more experience than I do with this, and I have a question for y'all. We were looking closely at our shower grout last night because we noticed that water was pooling after our shower. What we found was that there are areas that are extremely thin (looks like it was washing away and getting real thin), cracked and chipped, and just straight up holes in the grout in some places. I filed a warranty claim with the builder, and I'm sure the trade's solution will be to just add more grout and call it good. The builder uses Denshield water proofing, but from what I can tell, that's only on the walls per the mfr website. Is there any concern for mold/water damage from the floor grout getting messed up? Thanks!
The concrete for the shower floor is poured on top of the dirt, so there's no real worry of any mold or water damage from this. However, based on what you described, the grout in the tile should absolutely be under warranty.

FYI...it needs to dry completely for at least 24 hours before re-grouting.

Please keep us posted on how the builder handles this situation, because it's important for potential homebuyers to know what kind of follow through these builders have, especially with the quality of new homes having deteriorated in a rather dramatic fashion lately.

Thanks!

SS

Old 12-12-2019, 10:40 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,719,530 times
If the shower was built per specs you should be fine with a re grout where needed. Unfortunately leaky showers happen quite often with these mass builder homes. Shoddy work with the shower pan was the number one cause of failure. If you have a two story home with showers upstairs good luck. I made lots of money fixing water damaged homes. Builders loved to put band-aides on problems until the warranty expires.

Old 12-12-2019, 10:45 AM

387 posts, read 90,167 times
I have done 2 bathrooms with epoxy grout on all of the tile. It was a little costly and a ton of work, but I expect it to last longer than I do (I'm kinda old). I don't know what it would take to do that over existing deteriorating grout.

Old 02-26-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
The concrete for the shower floor is poured on top of the dirt, so there's no real worry of any mold or water damage from this. However, based on what you described, the grout in the tile should absolutely be under warranty.

FYI...it needs to dry completely for at least 24 hours before re-grouting.

Please keep us posted on how the builder handles this situation, because it's important for potential homebuyers to know what kind of follow through these builders have, especially with the quality of new homes having deteriorated in a rather dramatic fashion lately.

Thanks!

SS
SS et al,
The builder, DFH, was very responsive to my claim. The sub, however, has been garbage. We played phone tag a few times due to my work schedule, and the lady at Designers and Builders Inc never picking up her phone. Finally, after she stopped responding for 1.5+ months, DFH is now assigning a new company to do the work. As far as I'm concerned from this interaction, DFH has been fine in their response and follow-up and Designers and Builders will hopefully go out of business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville