U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 12:32 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,507,177 times

Advertisements

I attended Duval County schools - and lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2019, 05:44 PM

8 posts, read 3,196 times
I just moved here from CA (San Diego) few months ago. And must say we really really like it here. Here is what we noticed so far: people are very friendly and social from around the whole US and many international. Humidity is here after rain it rains a lot now during winter but it’s often warm. It can go from 37F at night to 80F during day. Beaches are stunning and not crowded. Fried food and seafood is great, not so much Mexican lol we are buying at Nocatee. You could get nice tow home there with 1 car garage but shared yard. Or nice home in Beacon Lake or Durbin area. Saint Johns is gonna feel very suburban. I was kind of in environmental shock seeing all the woods and trees everywhere. We go places every day when we are off. The bad I noticed many people smoke like you see young or old smoker, some areas look still trashy but we avoid them. Traffic can be bad when it rains or busy time in morning. And I saw Firs time yesterday the biggest cockroach in our apartment. But overall we really love it here. I prefer humid over dry. I would recommend rent few months before buying to get feel of the area and feel. We moved here before we ever visited for my husband’s job and it was good move so far ( social more family friendly area and newer bigger house)

Old 12-20-2019, 07:14 AM

370 posts, read 268,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuropeanInAmerica View Post
I just moved here from CA (San Diego) few months ago. And must say we really really like it here. Here is what we noticed so far: people are very friendly and social from around the whole US and many international. Humidity is here after rain it rains a lot now during winter but it’s often warm. It can go from 37F at night to 80F during day. Beaches are stunning and not crowded. Fried food and seafood is great, not so much Mexican lol we are buying at Nocatee. You could get nice tow home there with 1 car garage but shared yard. Or nice home in Beacon Lake or Durbin area. Saint Johns is gonna feel very suburban. I was kind of in environmental shock seeing all the woods and trees everywhere. We go places every day when we are off. The bad I noticed many people smoke like you see young or old smoker, some areas look still trashy but we avoid them. Traffic can be bad when it rains or busy time in morning. And I saw Firs time yesterday the biggest cockroach in our apartment. But overall we really love it here. I prefer humid over dry. I would recommend rent few months before buying to get feel of the area and feel. We moved here before we ever visited for my husband’s job and it was good move so far ( social more family friendly area and newer bigger house)
Welcome! A little off topic but if you want some good Mexican food, check out Pepe's Hacienda in Jacksonville. It's right off University Blvd. It's an old run down place in a classic Southside neighborhood but it's good authentic food (and cheap!).

Old 12-20-2019, 11:06 AM

Well my husband Is government employee so same Pay if u consider no state income tax. Yes pay may be lower but I am in the industry that is and will be booming in Jax (logistics) due to port expansion. I feel like I can sell my California experience more. I was contacted by recruiter 2 weeks after move date with job interviews. For now I am taking my time to find the best company for my career growth. I try to focus on positive things that Jax and FL bring to our life. There are and will be always pluses and minuses when you make decisions of moving but it’s all about attitude.

Old 12-20-2019, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Welcome! A little off topic but if you want some good Mexican food, check out Pepe's Hacienda in Jacksonville. It's right off University Blvd. It's an old run down place in a classic Southside neighborhood but it's good authentic food (and cheap!).
We actually are staying temporary across from that place at San Jose and indeed it’s great place to shop for meat and Hispanic groceries. It reminds me my small Mexican stores I used to shop at in San Diego. I have not found a place where they sell good home made corn tortillas. This place sells only fresh flour tortillas. Any suggestions for other Mexican grocery store similar to Pepe Hacienda?

Old 12-20-2019, 12:25 PM

4,744 posts, read 3,422,451 times
Super Tienda Latina...near San Jose. Que bueno.

Old 12-29-2019, 10:15 PM

110 posts, read 86,325 times
First of all, you cannot compare California to Florida in prices. NE Florida, St. Johns in particular is in a major demand phase and if you are looking at the really great areas, staying under $300k for 3/2 homes is not easy. When a builder says "starting in the low $300s" you have to remember this doesn't include the lot premium, the upgrades and then the likely CDD fees and HOA fees that you will pay. Overall, I would say the average St. Johns home is in the mid $400s these days. That being said, if you are willing to go older or townhome, then yes, you can stay at $300k or less.
The schools are great - we moved here for them, BUT do not be fooled, the county cannot keep up with the building right now and new schools take HUGE tax pools of money to have built. People here complain a lot that they need new schools and they are over crowded and "where is MY NEIGHBORHOOD NEW SCHOOL" to the point that it is crazy and not very intelligent....think about it, it takes MILLIONS of dollars to build a new school and brand new homes are not fully assessed and taxed until the second year and by then, these master planned communities have thousands of homes that are done, which means several thousand kids and only partial taxes collected, so yes, obviously it is going to take 1-2 decades for this poor county to catch up. For example, one new Nocatee school (Nocatee is the biggest hyped up community with water parks and dog parks and a planned 15,000 homes and tons of shopping and conveniences) so I pick Nocatee for this example - their newest school Palm Valley Academy has 15 kindergarten classes?????? WHOA! that is crazy - think about the future of the schooling for the families and the kids? The pressure on the teachers to get great test scores to maintain their funding and their programs....growth brings growing pains and St. Johns has that right now. That all said, I LOVE being here and I have 4 kids. We got out of the master planned "theme park" neighborhood and moved to the beach - older home, needs updating in the next few years, but the Ponte Vedra Beach schools are not as crowded and they are also not rezoning. Actually some of the newest neighborhoods (Beach Walk and Beacon Point west of Nocatee) are "borrowing" our schools until the county can zone these kids closer to home (their bus rides are about 45-50 minutes each way right now because they pass two schools to cross the ICW and get to the beach - yes, great schools but definitely some chaos for the moment.

Consider also that Nease - a top top top high school only 5 years ago has dropped in ratings and in test scores. Why? Did it all of a sudden become bad? No, but the population increased tenfold and not every kid coming from every corner of the USA is going to fall right inline and keep those test scores high - this is why it is now at an 8/10 when it used to be a 10 and then a 9.

As for your hurricane question - I actually laughed. I get it - you are 3000 miles away and the news hypes it all up and just like we think every home is Kansas and Nebraska is leveled by tornadoes each spring, it must appear that we get hit over and over again.....well, yes, storms have caused some damage, but unless you are near the ICW, the river or tidal marshes in a low lying home, the hurricanes are really more of a pain to clean up the yard later than anything else. We live across the street from the ICW and our yard floods but our home is built higher and we are fine. And just because many more homes now require flood insurance, that doesn't mean that they will flood. It means that FEMA is mandating policies so that they can collect monies to recoup what they paid out for the storms that did cause damage - overall, we have no sinkholes, minimal areas that flood repeatedly and we have a great life here - but you have to do your homework and realize that nothing is perfect. DON'T BUY INTO THE HYPE OF COMMUNITY LIFESTYLES! Do the research and know if that water park community is long-term or would you rather be in a beach area? Maybe you don't mind older and smaller homes if the schools are better? That sort of thing....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or