U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 07:59 PM

27 posts, read 18,332 times

Advertisements

Hello. Jacksonville was in one of my husband moving list. My #1 priority is great school so I ended up st. Johns county as it seems like they have great public school. Husband loves fishing and I love beach and my kid has eczema and one of his great remedy is ocean salt water. We just watched few videos on YouTube and searched houses in the area. Our budget is <300k for 3-bedroom and we’re finding gorgeous houses and townhouses within a budget with greater than 8 ratings schools. Beaches are right there and it just seems like ‘too good to be true’. I know Florida summer gets humid with lots of bugs and Florida gets hurricanes and tornadoes. Is the area in the middle of natural disasters? What are the cons of living there? I’m more or realistic person so I wanna know all the bad things to consider moving so I can be prepared and know what to expect! TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 06:26 AM

4,728 posts, read 3,415,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnsu View Post
Is the area in the middle of natural disasters?
No. Not at all. Just curious where you came to this conclusion from?

Old 12-16-2019, 10:27 AM

27 posts, read 18,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
No. Not at all. Just curious where you came to this conclusion from?
Just because we were thinking why everything seems so good and affordable maybe hurricane ruins houses every year? Lol
We’re in Sacramento and compare to here, st. Johns county seems like the perfect place for us.

Old 12-16-2019, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krnsu View Post
Just because we were thinking why everything seems so good and affordable maybe hurricane ruins houses every year? Lol
We’re in Sacramento and compare to here, st. Johns county seems like the perfect place for us.
I would suggest doing some research before coming to such conclusions. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:40 PM

7 posts, read 8,112 times
We're also considering a move to the area next summer. We're former Floridians who have lived as far south as Ft. Lauderdale so we know all about the heat and humidity. My only concern is the schools. Our child currently attends the top rated school in our state and I worry that even with A rated schools, St Johns county won't compare. Our boxes are checked for everything else but the school and class sizes scare me a little.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:40 PM

93 posts, read 78,834 times
Schools in the northern part of the county are incredibly overcrowded with no end in sight. The quality, IMO, is already negatively impacted. Others will disagree, sighting scores and rankings as proof. Scores (some, not all) are inflated and students are given every opportunity to earn the desired grade to maintain the #1 district ranking. Consider where you’re moving from compared to the state of Florida as a whole when giving weight to St. John’s County being #1.

I may sound negative, I don’t mean to. St.Johns County has a lot to offer but the idea of moving my family long distance for the sole purpose of the school image found on a google search is difficult for me to comprehend. Everyone’s entitled to their own reasoning. Good luck.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlover23 View Post
Schools in the northern part of the county are incredibly overcrowded with no end in sight. The quality, IMO, is already negatively impacted. Others will disagree, sighting scores and rankings as proof. Scores (some, not all) are inflated and students are given every opportunity to earn the desired grade to maintain the #1 district ranking. Consider where you’re moving from compared to the state of Florida as a whole when giving weight to St. John’s County being #1.

I may sound negative, I don’t mean to. St.Johns County has a lot to offer but the idea of moving my family long distance for the sole purpose of the school image found on a google search is difficult for me to comprehend. Everyone’s entitled to their own reasoning. Good luck.
I agree with this. My kid had a so so score on a test earlier this year and the teacher almost insisted he re-take it. I was like "You can re-take tests???"

Hopefully some of the new school builds ease overcrowding but I feel like the residential building is coming at a much faster pace than the schools. I believe eventually this area will resemble Orange Park....with nothing but traffic, row after row of strip malls full of 90% chain stores with no local flavor and lots of multi-family housing, which seems to be sprouting up more and more.

We aren't there yet, it's still a very nice area to call home, I just don't feel very positive about the long-term prospects given the trajectory of how things are going these past several years. I think if and when SJC loses it's #1 ranking, the wheels could come off very quickly.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:34 PM

370 posts, read 268,101 times
Trust me. It's still better than the average Duval middle school rif-raf. My kid's elementary school friends from before we left Duval are on Instagram almost daily flashing AR-15's and handguns etc....We moved to SJC in early 2017 and haven't looked back. Yeah it's getting more crowded but for now, it's better than the 'middle class' area of Duval.

Old 12-18-2019, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanac13 View Post
It is going to get worse. I know people who are thinking about moving to SJC from New England, West Coast, and some of the Midwestern Cities due to lower cost of living "to them" and for the schools. Sooner or later it is going to be like the rest of the Jacksonvile suburbs: A bunch of cookie cutter houses with tons of strip malls and no flavor. It's like eating chicken without the hot sauce. I'm not looking forward to the build out of SJC down the road, because I'm really seeing it to become a thing soon.

You sound like every other white person that I know who had white flight and left Jax to SJC. So much subtle racism in your post it isn't even funny. Yes, flashing AR-15s and handguns is a sign of minorities and a future life in crime.

A lot of the schools in Jax are on the good side, but not all as we know. It is all about location and zoning as always. Honestly I know plenty of people with high incomes living in SJC. They live there to be near like minded people, and their kids get the best school system in the area. Just can't help that their lives are just cookie cutter as their homes. Oh well, boring families.
The Instagram posts were white kids that overnight decided to become thugs and bangers once they hit middle school. Did you get your Psych degree online?

Old 12-18-2019, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanac13 View Post
Nope. By hanging out with a lot of white southerns over the years they told me when they say rif-raf, they were all referring to the black parts of town. It was one of the code words that I picked up over the years. Personally, I'm sick of it. However, Jacksonville is more like the old south so I have to learn to deal with it.
I could see that. The rif-raf I am referring to here is really the same as most parents (southern or not) have labeled generation after generation. "kids these days and their music!" That sort of rif-raf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or