U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 04:54 PM

7 posts, read 8,391 times

Advertisements

We are planning to move to JAX (due to job) this summer after finishing my son's 7th grade here in Wake County school district in Cary NC. I would be moving alone in February first and eventually the family will follow. We visited JAX for a couple days to take a feel of the area and look at homes in St Johns County as my son will be going to 8th grade and my younger one will start pre-school. We looked at some new homes in Nocatee which we thought is a great place to live plus good schools. However it has high CDD fees and I personally prefer quick access to grocery stores, etc. which we are used to in Cary NC which I didn't find in Nocatee. There is just 1 shopping center where there is Publix for the whole of Nocatee. Also didn't find many Indian restaurants and Indian grocery stores nearby which is a requirement for us.

1. Is there any other good area to live besides Nocatee where there are great schools and new homes around 2800 - 3200 sq ft? My job location is on Gate Pkwy JAX.
2. If we decide Nocatee then I would like to know from the people living there about their experience.
3. Which builders are best in the area? Providence, Toll Bros, Riverside, Dostie, ICI? So far we liked Providence and Toll brothers.
4. Where we live right now in Cary NC mostly the people work in IT and Pharma good income jobs, kids going to great schools, most of them don't have boats, surf boards, canoe, kayak, etc. On Nocatee I felt like many of them had homes in Nocatee as vacation home, second home and might not be living there for the whole year. I am bit concerned if it would be like keeping up with the Joneses?

Please share your experience, advice, answers to above. Thanks in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 10:02 PM

6,790 posts, read 7,494,610 times
Welcome to Jax!

1. Hm, I mean imo there are plenty of great places to live in Jax but we may have very different views on what's great. I will use your Nocatee description to kinda shade the type of recs I make (which honestly are not the type of places I would typically choose myself) Yesterday I just walked the construction site/community for one of my best friend's future home. The model homes looked amazing and it is very reminiscent to me of Nocatee. This is the community: https://www.etownjax.com/neighborhoods/edison

2. I know some people who live there. They seem to really like it and well, they knew what they were getting into and it has delivered I suppose.

3. The neighborhood I mentioned above is built by Toll Brothers. Cant honestly say much more than that, but my friend is a former architect and very picky.

4. At least the people I know are regular families (well maybe middle to upper middle class) and they just like that lifestyle. Probably a bit of keeping up with the Joneses mentality though...thats often true at many economic levels.

I would definitely consider living somewhere closer to your work. As the previous poster mentions, "Bombaymeadows Rd" is the epicenter of Indian restaurants, groceries, and stores. The etown development where my friend is moving is just off Baymeadows, only a few miles from the "Indian" stretch. The high school neighborhood is fairly new and looks very nice, though score wise looks like it gets 4 out of 5 (A-) on Niche and 6 out of 10 on Great Schools. The thing is, in Duval County, the magnet program is quite strong so you'd probably opt to send your kids to a school much farther away, but much better suited to their interests/strengths. There are also many other new developments in this general area...close proximity to your work and to the Indian area. You might check them out. I think I remember one being called Old Quarter. This part of town is booming and with the St Johns Town Center there is definitely no shortage of any shopping or any other general needs you have. If you are just super set on St Johns County then Nocatee may be your best bet. Or consider up farther north along the coast to Ponte Vedra area.

Old 01-08-2020, 06:55 PM

7 posts, read 8,391 times
Hyper-Duel and projectmaximus Thank you so much for your reply. I think what I am gonna do is first rent out somewhere near Gate Pkwy and then figure out by summer where I would love to move with my family. It would be easier that way to determine what place we want to live.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:36 PM

6,790 posts, read 7,494,610 times
Perfect! Welcome and good luck.

Old 01-09-2020, 10:02 AM

2,046 posts, read 3,104,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shonas View Post
We are planning to move to JAX (due to job) this summer after finishing my son's 7th grade here in Wake County school district in Cary NC. I would be moving alone in February first and eventually the family will follow. We visited JAX for a couple days to take a feel of the area and look at homes in St Johns County as my son will be going to 8th grade and my younger one will start pre-school. We looked at some new homes in Nocatee which we thought is a great place to live plus good schools. However it has high CDD fees and I personally prefer quick access to grocery stores, etc. which we are used to in Cary NC which I didn't find in Nocatee. There is just 1 shopping center where there is Publix for the whole of Nocatee. Also didn't find many Indian restaurants and Indian grocery stores nearby which is a requirement for us.

1. Is there any other good area to live besides Nocatee where there are great schools and new homes around 2800 - 3200 sq ft? My job location is on Gate Pkwy JAX.
2. If we decide Nocatee then I would like to know from the people living there about their experience.
3. Which builders are best in the area? Providence, Toll Bros, Riverside, Dostie, ICI? So far we liked Providence and Toll brothers.
4. Where we live right now in Cary NC mostly the people work in IT and Pharma good income jobs, kids going to great schools, most of them don't have boats, surf boards, canoe, kayak, etc. On Nocatee I felt like many of them had homes in Nocatee as vacation home, second home and might not be living there for the whole year. I am bit concerned if it would be like keeping up with the Joneses?

Please share your experience, advice, answers to above. Thanks in advance.
Rent first, take your time deciding. Jacksonville is a huge land mass and learning the ins and outs of the different areas can be difficult. E-Town would be a great location for the proximity to your job, however, there is some massively shoddy workmanship going on on those new homes, but if you stick with Pulte Homes in there, you'll be fine. Make sure you hire a pro home inspector if you get a new home built, to make sure they many things that get overlooked (and their will be many things) get corrected by the builder before they get covered up. And read, my post below:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...rs-2020-a.html

SS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or