U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2020, 07:24 PM
Caa Caa started this thread

940 posts, read 2,252,101 times

Advertisements

H❤️Hi everyone, my husband and I and Daughter are going to be moving to Jacksonville hopefully within the next year. We’re looking at San Marcos we’re looking at different areas of Jacksonville. But we’re wondering about Avondale, Fairfax, five points , Riverside , Lakeshore, Southside and I think it’s the Ortega area kind of south of the city. What areas are good around Jacksonville outside of the downtown and what area should we stay away from? Our daughter may be attending UNF eventually so we’d like to be within a half an hours drive to the school.
We’ve been there once for three days and drive all around a few areas but it’s so much bigger than where we live now it was a bit overwhelming. We are looking for a condo, mid to high range prices, good area, nearby things to do .
Any advice at all would be great !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 08:23 PM

370 posts, read 268,297 times
Price range? Close to beach? Walkability? What's important?

Old 01-05-2020, 10:29 PM

6,766 posts, read 7,486,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caa View Post
H❤️Hi everyone, my husband and I and Daughter are going to be moving to Jacksonville hopefully within the next year. We’re looking at San Marcos we’re looking at different areas of Jacksonville. But we’re wondering about Avondale, Fairfax, five points , Riverside , Lakeshore, Southside and I think it’s the Ortega area kind of south of the city. What areas are good around Jacksonville outside of the downtown and what area should we stay away from? Our daughter may be attending UNF eventually so we’d like to be within a half an hours drive to the school.
We’ve been there once for three days and drive all around a few areas but it’s so much bigger than where we live now it was a bit overwhelming. We are looking for a condo, mid to high range prices, good area, nearby things to do .
Any advice at all would be great !
Welcome! San Marco, Avondale, Fairfax, Riverside (Five Points is a section of it) and Ortega are all pretty much can't miss. If you are actually in those neighborhoods you are in a good area and personally an area that I like quite a bit. All of those are pretty walkable and trendy, save for Ortega which is maybe a little isolated/residential to be called walkable. But it's basically tucked away behind other walkable areas. San Marco will be closest to UNF and should usually be under 30 minutes except for the absolutely worst traffic times. Without traffic only 15.

Lakeshore will be a bit sketchy and not quite so desirable. There are cute blocks but plenty of sketchy parts too.

Southside is by and large quite desirable and safe, but it's a huge, broad, swath of area. UNF by some maps/descriptions is basically adjacent to parts of the Southside. Anyway, you're generally gonna be fine in most of the Southside too, although like I said it's such a huge area that it's hard to put too strong a label on its characteristics. If you're by the St Johns Town Center that would be a pretty nice area (except for horrible traffic) and you'd be basically right by UNF.

P.S. I just noticed you said Condo! I'm not sure there are any Condos in Ortega or Fairfax...some very close by. But the pickings are actually quite slim for condos in the majority of the neighborhoods I mentioned above. At least in the traditional sense of condo complexes. Avondale, San Marco, Riverside are all very historic neighborhoods and most condos would be large homes or small buildings converted to small multifamily. Don't get me wrong, they do exist as you'll find on Redfin and Zillow, but it's just not in abundance and is a small fraction of available housing stock. Now...Southside, will have an abundance of these. Some that I like in particular are Tapestry Park and Deerwood Place, which both give you a dozen or more shops/restaurants at your doorstep and you're about 3 miles from UNF. There are plenty of others around the St Johns Town Center but I can't recommend any...many are very new or being built and I'm just not familiar with stuff completed in the past two years. I have been to 5000 Town which is a well-located luxury apartment complex at the town center.

Old 01-06-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Price range? Close to beach? Walkability? What's important?
We live in a tiny town in south east Florida called Palm city it’s extremely walkable but there is absolutely nothing really here to do. So place with some culture and some fun things to do would be great my husband and I are in our early 50s though we feel like were in our early 40s LOL !fun places to go musicals ,plays to see some sports bars and brew houses we love beer and love to explore new brew housesSo we are looking for a price range between 100 to 200,000 for a two bedroom condo nothing fancy. Obviously in a good area though. We would like to be able to walk to shops and things like that we do that here we really like that although it’s quite a walk from our doorstep to get to Publix or anything like that so would like something where it’s walkable right around the corner pretty much. Do like the San Marco area a lot but like the one poster said there’s not a whole lot of choice of condominiums in those areas. We don’t want to be close to the beach well let me put it this way we don’t have to be close to the beach but we don’t wanna be too far away to either.
We lived in Baton Rouge Louisiana for nine years and really enjoyed the vibe of that city, we don’t want to move back to that area per se., But we do love a city feel so we’re very excited about leaving is boring town with everybody being 80 years old and hopefully going to a place with some more energy and fun

Old 01-06-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyper-Duel View Post
Avoid most of Arlington, Northwest Jax, and most of West Side. Your best bet would be Southside area and the Bleach Blvd area since that's near UNF.
Are those just run down areas or just a lot of crime or what’s up with those areas of Jacksonville? We drove through there but didn’t really get a chance to walk around or do a whole lot in the areas that we mentioned above

Old 01-06-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Welcome! San Marco, Avondale, Fairfax, Riverside (Five Points is a section of it) and Ortega are all pretty much can't miss. If you are actually in those neighborhoods you are in a good area and personally an area that I like quite a bit. All of those are pretty walkable and trendy, save for Ortega which is maybe a little isolated/residential to be called walkable. But it's basically tucked away behind other walkable areas. San Marco will be closest to UNF and should usually be under 30 minutes except for the absolutely worst traffic times. Without traffic only 15.

Lakeshore will be a bit sketchy and not quite so desirable. There are cute blocks but plenty of sketchy parts too.

Southside is by and large quite desirable and safe, but it's a huge, broad, swath of area. UNF by some maps/descriptions is basically adjacent to parts of the Southside. Anyway, you're generally gonna be fine in most of the Southside too, although like I said it's such a huge area that it's hard to put too strong a label on its characteristics. If you're by the St Johns Town Center that would be a pretty nice area (except for horrible traffic) and you'd be basically right by UNF.

P.S. I just noticed you said Condo! I'm not sure there are any Condos in Ortega or Fairfax...some very close by. But the pickings are actually quite slim for condos in the majority of the neighborhoods I mentioned above. At least in the traditional sense of condo complexes. Avondale, San Marco, Riverside are all very historic neighborhoods and most condos would be large homes or small buildings converted to small multifamily. Don't get me wrong, they do exist as you'll find on Redfin and Zillow, but it's just not in abundance and is a small fraction of available housing stock. Now...Southside, will have an abundance of these. Some that I like in particular are Tapestry Park and Deerwood Place, which both give you a dozen or more shops/restaurants at your doorstep and you're about 3 miles from UNF. There are plenty of others around the St Johns Town Center but I can't recommend any...many are very new or being built and I'm just not familiar with stuff completed in the past two years. I have been to 5000 Town which is a well-located luxury apartment complex at the town center.

Thank you so much for your post lotta information there! I’ll look those two areas tapestry Park and Deerwood I think it was, I just got a email from the Jacksonville newsletter and it actually split all the neighborhoods up and to different articles in and check that out as well. I hope we end up moving there because I don’t think I could live in this town much longer LOL I like it but it’s just not for me or my family

Old 01-07-2020, 08:17 AM

6,766 posts, read 7,486,486 times
Make sure it's Deerwood Place Condos. Home "Deerwood" is a separate golf and country club several miles away with very large and expensive single family homes.

This is Tapestry Park: https://www.tapestryparkllc.com

I'll describe why I singled them out...most of the places you listed in your first post are walkable neighborhoods (by Jax standards) with gridded streets, retail corridors adjacent to residential streets, all with decent pedestrian-scale streetscapes. On the Southside for the most part this doesn't really exist (Tapestry Park and maybe a couple spots in the St Johns Town Center may offer this feel in one very specific spot but not for multiple blocks) Since you mentioned all those walkable neighborhoods, I thought maybe that walkability is desirable for you so in the case of Deerwood Place and Tapestry Park, you DO have some semblance of walkability in the immediate area. It's not really in the traditional sense, but at least there are available options at your doorstep.

Deerwood Place has the advantage of being next to a nice Publix grocery. Tapestry Park does not have a grocery store in walking distance but imo the layout is prettier AND in addition to the couple dozen or so restaurants/stores in Tapestry Park, you can walk about 5-10 minutes down a windy sidewalk to reach Tinseltown, which is a shopping center with a megaplex theater and several dozen more restaurants/bars/shops. Again if you use your eyes it's very suburban looking and not at all like Riverside, Avondale, etc, but sometimes it doesn't matter that much and it's just nice to have the option.

If this walkability is not important, there are dozens of condo and townhome complexes all in this 2-3 mile radius around the St Johns town center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or