U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2020, 04:19 PM

7,467 posts, read 17,129,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Yeah...but you're annoying. Some people have committed suicide too.....

Just as long as people understand your input here is jaded and irrelevant.
Well, we lived there for 10 1/2 years, so we definitely know about the city and it's crime. Just watch the daily news there and find out.

Anyway, just let folks move to Jax and find out for themselves. It's really too bad that folks there don't want to acknowledge the high crime there, however local news does.

Is your local news stations "annoying"? Our your local news stations "jaded and irrelevant"? Just wondering.

Anyway, the question was asked and I answered it, just like a couple of other posters did. So, I guess their reply was "annoying", "jaded" and "irrelevant" also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2020, 05:31 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,154,384 times
Jacksonville in itself is a beast of its own, while it has Los Angeles beat as far as land size our density or population does not even compare.

As far as violent crime it can happen anywhere in Jacksonville but the numbers and trends portray the west side north of the urban core as the most likely area to see violent crime.

We have been here over 30 years and god knows the city has tried to revitalize the urban core “downtown”. With the landing opening in the late eighties it seemed like it was on a path. Thirty years later it’s been torn down and a new vision is in place.

Do I feel safe late at night in downtown? Not really, I don’t feel like I would be putting my life at risk but I am comfortable down there but I definitely would not be walking or driving around some areas of the west side.

As far as the burbs being violent crime free I would somewhat agree with this. While we don’t see the steady homicides some areas in Jacksonville does we have been seeing some what more semi violent crime moving in.

When Duval closed their gaming venues they moved into Nassau County and since then we had several robberies at gunpoint one or two where shots were fired. The Hibbet sports store was recently robbed by a group from Jacksonville also. The county has now given notice that these gaming places will now permanently close shortly.

We are also experiencing more car break-ins. Small groups are coming in from Jacksonville and just combing the neighborhoods for open doors.

There are some crimes you can live with, some where your choice to live can put you in harms way.

You can’t stop crime but it is has been heading our way in an increasing fashion.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...NIBTKNIJXZWQQ/

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...cade-in-yulee/

Last edited by JBtwinz; 02-01-2020 at 05:43 AM..

Old 02-01-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Jacksonville in itself is a beast of its own, while it has Los Angeles beat as far as land size our density or population does not even compare.

As far as violent crime it can happen anywhere in Jacksonville but the numbers and trends portray the west side north of the urban core as the most likely area to see violent crime.

We have been here over 30 years and god knows the city has tried to revitalize the urban core “downtown”. With the landing opening in the late eighties it seemed like it was on a path. Thirty years later it’s been torn down and a new vision is in place.

Do I feel safe late at night in downtown? Not really, I don’t feel like I would be putting my life at risk but I am comfortable down there but I definitely would not be walking or driving around some areas of the west side.

As far as the burbs being violent crime free I would somewhat agree with this. While we don’t see the steady homicides some areas in Jacksonville does we have been seeing some what more semi violent crime moving in.

When Duval closed their gaming venues they moved into Nassau County and since then we had several robberies at gunpoint one or two where shots were fired. The Hibbet sports store was recently robbed by a group from Jacksonville also. The county has now given notice that these gaming places will now permanently close shortly.

We are also experiencing more car break-ins. Small groups are coming in from Jacksonville and just combing the neighborhoods for open doors.

There are some crimes you can live with, some where your choice to live can put you in harms way.

You can’t stop crime but it is has been heading our way in an increasing fashion.

https://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/l...NIBTKNIJXZWQQ/

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/...cade-in-yulee/
How very, very true!

When we lived on the Southside, there was a stabbing and a shooting/murder in the area of Baymeadows and Baymeadows Way. A murder at the McDonalds there as well. And, a shooting at the Motel 6 at Baymeadows and Phillips Hwy.

The Sheriff of St Johns County has stated that criminals from Jacksonville were coming down to St Augustine area to do crime.

Anyway, I'm glad that this post was done, but, be ready OP, from some "not so nice" replies to this!

Old 02-01-2020, 07:52 AM

The biggest problem is...…..the nice, high/higher paying jobs are in the big-to-bigger cities that can have high crime. Lots of traffic, documented high crime, but plenty of entertainment and nice salaries. Nice salaries for those with college degrees, that is. My wife was 71, when we moved from Jacksonville and making a nice/descent salary.

And, when talking about "nice salaries", just take a look at the folks that live around the Town Center and shop/eat there. Now, talking about a safer place to live, living around the Town Center will COST, but it's much, much safer than some other areas of Jax.

Old 02-01-2020, 01:13 PM

4,734 posts, read 3,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, we lived there for 10 1/2 years, so we definitely know about the city and it's crime. Just watch the daily news there and find out.
Unfortunately you don't know Jacksonville well at all. Your opinions are all based on such "research" as watching the local news and seeing nice cars at the Town Center (which, by what you said means that people living in that area are generally very, very wealthy). It's laughable how you have one conversation with someone and then draw huge generalizations based off of that. "My neighbor told me......" was the basis of a lot of what you said here and, apparently, are continuing to push. You claim to care about crime in the poorer areas of Jacksonville and admonish those who don't seem to care, yet you did nothing about it....just claimed to "care." I bet you never visited West or NW Jacksonville in your 10.5 years here, did you?

Old 02-01-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Unfortunately you don't know Jacksonville well at all. Your opinions are all based on such "research" as watching the local news and seeing nice cars at the Town Center (which, by what you said means that people living in that area are generally very, very wealthy). It's laughable how you have one conversation with someone and then draw huge generalizations based off of that. "My neighbor told me......" was the basis of a lot of what you said here and, apparently, are continuing to push. You claim to care about crime in the poorer areas of Jacksonville and admonish those who don't seem to care, yet you did nothing about it....just claimed to "care." I bet you never visited West or NW Jacksonville in your 10.5 years here, did you?
We went to Orange Park, were members of Gateway Gun & Rifle Club and went to the Bud Plant on the Northside.
Actually we did do something about “caring” about the crime in Jax, we moved! LOL.
Apparently, nobody can do anything about the crime in Jax!!

Old 02-25-2020, 07:48 AM

5 posts, read 876 times
I am thinking most dont want to move in to an area where the crime is high so asking about areas like that is the norm.

I am planning on moving to Florida or South Carolina in the next few months and I have heard both places are bad.

The area I am in is not bad but the sun hasn't been out in three weeks.

If i drive 30 minutes west of me the crime is high but I don't venture in those areas due to I don't have to.

I look at places for rent and see bars on windows, filth in the lawns and just over all laziness I know that it is a bad area. If it is black, white or whatever I would rather not move to a place where they have garbage in their front lawn.

Just by reading through the threads I see an anti Trumper spouting off about the crime yet they leave instead of fixing things. Any chance they get they come on the board and get on the soap box about how bad it is and someone needs to do something about it as they move away.

Ironic

Old 02-25-2020, 09:51 AM

184 posts, read 99,152 times
We also lived in Jax for over 10 years but did not know that Jax was known as the murder capital of Florida when we moved there. Knowing that I lived in the murder capital of Florida always made me feel bad.

I did not watch the local news much but when I had them on it was scary! It was always about murder and shootings.

Of course, that type of crime is mostly concentrated in zip code 32209 but not exclusively! You have to be on your guard wherever you go. I could not imagine living in Jax if I was single. I would find it very scary. But I did not grow up here in the US, i. e. I was not used to be surrounded by crime.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:53 AM

2,046 posts, read 3,102,659 times
Well, I think all of you successfully managed to run her off with all your bs.

Merrillo5...if you see this, I apologize on behalf of these cranky townies. They are not the same as us beach people.

LoL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or