Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 08:49 AM

8,882 posts, read 20,260,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccaytraveler View Post
No place is safe in Jacksonville. Have you seen the stats for murder and rape? Single woman? Do yourself a favor and move somewhere else. I lived there 10 years (and I’m from Central FL) and recently moved to TN. I will never go back to that nightmare!
It was more than just how the crime went up during the 10 1/2 years we lived on the Southside. Many parts of the Southside were safe, while there were other parts that weren't...….like around the area of Baymeadows/Phillips Highway and the area of Baymeadows/Baymeadows Way.

Many folks that live in the nicer parts of Jacksonville don't pay any attention to the crime rate going up and up and up. All they will say is, "crime is in every bigger area, including Miami". Those folks think more about their job income, going to Wild Wings on Friday night or to the SJTC shopping or eating. "Yea, we know there is a lot of crime/murders in Jacksonville, so what?" they will say. These folks are REALLY "in love" with Jacksonville! We weren't anymore and moved back to Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2020, 12:58 AM

62 posts, read 120,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccaytraveler View Post
No place is safe in Jacksonville. Have you seen the stats for murder and rape? Single woman? Do yourself a favor and move somewhere else. I lived there 10 years (and I’m from Central FL) and recently moved to TN. I will never go back to that nightmare!
Bullsh*t. Most of the victims of violent crime are poor black folks that you don;t live near and don't interact with. And I don't care about non-violent property "crimes". Your Amazon package getting stolen once a year does not an unsafe city make.

City Data forums are a right-wing space full of hysterical lies right off of Fox News and the people who retweet Trump unironically. Get out of my city

Old 01-31-2020, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Bullsh*t. Most of the victims of violent crime are poor black folks that you don;t live near and don't interact with. And I don't care about non-violent property "crimes". Your Amazon package getting stolen once a year does not an unsafe city make.

City Data forums are a right-wing space full of hysterical lies right off of Fox News and the people who retweet Trump unironically. Get out of my city
Well, there are those that care about all crime that happens. Just because you don't, there are those that do.

It's just a fact, not just reports from news media, that Jax has a high murder rate and it just seems not to lower. There are other cities in the U.S. that have the same going on...…..Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle and others, but people still move there and the ones living there don't seem to care.

Most people, in the nicer areas of Jax, think exactly the same way you do...……"not in my area, so I don't care", while there are others that do care. Wife and I thought that way, "not in my area, so.....", but we changed our minds when more and more murders were happening.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:06 AM

9,280 posts, read 8,185,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post

Most people, in the nicer areas of Jax, think exactly the same way you do...……"not in my area, so I don't care", while there are others that do care. Wife and I thought that way, "not in my area, so.....", but we changed our minds when more and more murders were happening.
Why would I care about crime in NW Jacksonville if I live 60 miles away in an entirely different zip code and/or county? If you're going to care about crime in that area, why not Chicago? The murder rate is high there too. How about NYC? Where does it end? You repeat yourself over and over and over again with these same statements.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Why would I care about crime in NW Jacksonville if I live 60 miles away in an entirely different zip code and/or county? If you're going to care about crime in that area, why not Chicago? The murder rate is high there too. How about NYC? Where does it end? You repeat yourself over and over and over again with these same statements.
What about those that live inside Jax? What about those that ask "how safe is Jax?" It would be obvious to me that any possible newcomer wouldn't want to live in a high-crime area.

Even when we lived on the Southside, there were some that were concerned about the crime rate in other parts of Jax. One lady told me, who lived in our apt. complex, "if I would've known how bad the crime in Jacksonville is, I wouldn't have taken a transfer here for work. Compared to Jax, there wasn't any crime where I use to live/work in Oregon."

Anyway, like some, we have already moved and darn glad we did. Jax is great for many, but for others, not so. That's just a fact also.

Old 01-31-2020, 11:43 AM

62 posts, read 120,675 times
Quote:
Well, there are those that care about all crime that happens. Just because you don't, there are those that do.

It's just a fact, not just reports from news media, that Jax has a high murder rate and it just seems not to lower. There are other cities in the U.S. that have the same going on...…..Chicago, NYC, Los Angeles, Seattle and others, but people still move there and the ones living there don't seem to care.

Don't misunderstand me - I do care about the crime rate but not for my own safety or property values, which is what 99% of these threads mean when they ask "is Jacksonville safe". These people don't care about poverty and the overpolicing of black neighborhoods. I do, however, which is why I support raising property taxes on wealthy homes, dramatically cutting the JSO budget, and using this money to invest in infrastructure, public transportation, public defenders' office, JHA housing, and other things that materially help the poor. Countries with low wealth inequality are usually among the safest in the world like Switzerland, Uruguay, Finland, etc

Old 01-31-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Don't misunderstand me - I do care about the crime rate but not for my own safety or property values, which is what 99% of these threads mean when they ask "is Jacksonville safe". These people don't care about poverty and the overpolicing of black neighborhoods. I do, however, which is why I support raising property taxes on wealthy homes, dramatically cutting the JSO budget, and using this money to invest in infrastructure, public transportation, public defenders' office, JHA housing, and other things that materially help the poor. Countries with low wealth inequality are usually among the safest in the world like Switzerland, Uruguay, Finland, etc
Unfortunately, there are those that will highly be against raising property taxes. They will say, "it's not my fault they live the way they do". Others will say "if improvement is done in the poor areas, the poor will find someway to destroy it."

There have been two Mayors and two Sheriff's that stated, "if elected, we will do things about the crime in Jacksonville." However, I know...…..campaign crap.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:17 PM

9,280 posts, read 8,185,589 times
Quote:
Anyway, like some, we have already moved and darn glad we did. Jax is great for many, but for others, not so.
Yet you're still drawn to the Jax message board.

Old 01-31-2020, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Yet you're still drawn to the Jax message board.
And, your point?

So are others that have lived and left Jax!

Old 01-31-2020, 03:24 PM

482 posts, read 413,082 times
Quote:
And, your point?

So are others that have lived and left Jax!
Yeah...but you're annoying. Some people have committed suicide too.....

Just as long as people understand your input here is jaded and irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville