U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 09:59 AM

3 posts, read 2,206 times

Advertisements

Hello! I’m in the early stages of thinking about a move to the Jacksonville area. I’ve lived in Nashville, TN for 1.5 years and have the opportunity to transfer with the company I work for. I’ve read some online articles about reasonable cost of living and cultural offerings. Can anyone offer some pros? Cons? Advice for moving to the area? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2020, 10:28 PM

16 posts, read 10,104 times
Ha! I just moved to Chatt from Jax due to the increasing cost of living, difficulties in finding affordable housing and the HORRIBLE weather. I mean if you like 95 degree weather at 11PM at night in October, go for it!

Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 PM

3 posts, read 2,206 times
Gotcha. Thanks for replying.
Had you lived in Jax for long? Any good things about it? The cost of living in Nashville is over the top and not decreasing any time soon.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:46 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,156,847 times
We have had a unseasonably warm fall and winter but we are now seeing temperatures closer to our seasonably norms.

I mean everywhere has pro’s and con’s.

Jacksonville is growing rapidly picking up the slower steady pace we have been used to for the 30 plus years we have been here. With that rent and housing prices are increasing also.

Don’t expect much of an urban core but I think we are finally seeing plans in place to see this happening.

Suburbs seem to rule here with the north side and south side seeing rapid growth.

Where you work would be a great starting point on the advice you want along with what you would like to target as the amount to rent or purchase.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:24 AM

370 posts, read 268,847 times
I've never actually heard someone say that Florida has horrible weather. This is a first! I think the droves of northerners that move here on a daily basis would argue that is far from the truth.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:22 AM

4,749 posts, read 3,425,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccaytraveler View Post
Ha! I just moved to Chatt from Jax due to the increasing cost of living, difficulties in finding affordable housing and the HORRIBLE weather. I mean if you like 95 degree weather at 11PM at night in October, go for it!
Unless you sleep outdoors or are so poor you cannot afford air conditioning, this isn't an issue at all for anyone.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:58 AM

7,467 posts, read 17,134,691 times
We lived in Jax for 10 1/2 years. Sort of (note: "sort of") got use to the heat/humidity thing, but when it did get to hot/humid, we stayed in our apartment. We couldn't even take our boat out on St John's River. Then again, during those years, we were in our 60's.

We lived just north of the Avenues Mall (aka Southside) and it was rather nice. Lived in the same apartment the entire time we lived in Jax.

Jax doesn't have the best crime-rate, but, then again, most large cities/areas don't.

We lived in a "No Evacuation Zone", so we stayed in our apartment when the outer bands of Hurricane Mathew came over. But, Hurricane Irma did come right over us. Parts of Jax was a mess, including the St John's River.

Compared to where we live now, NOCO (aka northern Colorado), the population of Jax is really big. And, btw, we had lived in Colorado before, for 5 1/2 years, so we knew what we were coming back to (weather). But, we really ended up missing the Rockies, wildlife, rodeo action and miles upon miles of farm/ranch land.

There are those that absolutely love Jax and those that have left.

So, yes, there are definitely "pros" and "cons" to living there.

Old 01-30-2020, 12:27 PM

1,822 posts, read 1,507,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
I've never actually heard someone say that Florida has horrible weather. This is a first! I think the droves of northerners that move here on a daily basis would argue that is far from the truth.
It is also not 95 degrees at 11 PM. That might be the high for the day.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:35 PM

384 posts, read 342,609 times
It is really hot in the summer... but quite nice weather wise during spring, fall and winter. I leave in the summer. Jax itself is sort of a crappy city. The downtown sucks, no one goes there other then if you work there. The city itself is mostly a sprawl of developments where everyone resides outside the city center. Culturally the area is sort of a dead zone compared to other cities. You will have to look hard to find what you want unless it is football with the worst team in the league. On the plus side, you do have the weather, minus summer. You do have the beach scene which is accessible from everywhere. Boating, fishing if you want. Excellent job market, although unskilled jobs pay less here then elsewhere. Very family oriented if you have kids. Endless amount of jesus stuff, must be 1,000 churches. I"ll let you decide if that is a positive. Also military mentality as this really is a military town. Again some like, some not so much. Best of luck.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:33 AM

184 posts, read 99,555 times
There are several threads about Jax on this forum.

Here is what I wrote in one of them last year (scroll down to #79):
//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ositive-8.html

Here is an old thread about Jax:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...lle-fl-51.html

And another page:
//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...l#post53886374
I agree with post #12
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville