U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2020, 02:25 PM

370 posts, read 268,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
32208 and 32209 make up the Northside ghetto, this is where the majority of violent crime happens on the Northside. Of the murders that happen in these two zip codes, they are almost always due to being involved in the thug life. As long as you're not slinging drugs, you escape the bulk of violent crime that happens in the 'hood. Then, there's retaliation shootings and murders that take place; someone has conflict with another person, they blow their brains out with a shotgun. It's not the police's responsibility to control crime in the ghetto, it's up to the residents. The problem is that the hood has adopted a culture of violence and thuggery, then when violence hits close to home, the same folks want to cry "Stop The Violence". Then there's this no snitch policy that is rampant in the hood; you can't go to the police with what you know because you and/or your family could be a target. There's a saying in the hood called "Streets Is Watching", that term means an inner-city criminal has friends in the hood that keep an eye out for anyone who may consider going to the police about their criminal activity. The criminal's friends inform him that the cops may be hot on him, so that criminal and his associates confront the citizen(s) and let them know if they tell the police, they can expect retaliation.
Da Bangum!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2020, 06:47 AM

3,303 posts, read 6,271,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Da Bangum!
That name was coined by the hood, to show how violent the ghetto can be.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:36 AM

7,467 posts, read 17,128,021 times
Actually, a Pastor on the Northside, said this, what Northside 904 stated, in a news interview. Part of what this Pastor said, "Families on the northside don't want to talk to police due to retaliation and/or the family itself is involved with something illegal."

Heck, the murders even came down to the Southside, when we lived there. A shooting at the Motel 6 at Phillips Hwy at Baymeadows, a murder at the McDonalds and Wendy's on Baymeadows at Baymeadows Way, a murder at a motel down the street from Denny's and so on. One thing is for sure, murders sure are encircled on the northside! Even near a Shell Station by the Town Center had a murder.

Yet, lots and lots of people still moving to Jax. When we left Jax, there were nice/new apartments that had gone up and building more by the Town Center.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Heck, the murders even came down to the Southside, when we lived there. A shooting at the Motel 6 at Phillips Hwy at Baymeadows, a murder at the McDonalds and Wendy's on Baymeadows at Baymeadows Way, a murder at a motel down the street from Denny's and so on. One thing is for sure, murders sure are encircled on the northside! Even near a Shell Station by the Town Center had a murder.
That's what I keep telling folks, there's just as many murders on the Southside as there are on the North, NW and West sides of the city.

Old 02-08-2020, 09:26 AM

7,467 posts, read 17,128,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
That's what I keep telling folks, there's just as many murders on the Southside as there are on the North, NW and West sides of the city.
But, I wouldn't say "as many", because JSO presents isn't as big as in some other parts of the city. Believe it or not, when we first moved to the Southside, we stopped at the Best Buy there. There was a JSO Motor Officer in the store and spoke with him. Told him where we lived and he said "well, you picked one of the safer areas of Jacksonville to live." When we moved, we thought, "well, that may have been true in January 2009, when we got there, but when we moved (August 2019), not so much."

Actually, I forgot, we even had a murder-suicide in our apartment complex, while we lived there. The couple weren't found for a couple of days. So, while those in the complex were either working or sleeping, a couple laid dead in their living room! It was the woman's father that started wondering about her, came to the complex and Maintenance let him in the apartment. They found the couple.

Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM

1,687 posts, read 2,529,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolegator View Post
Economic inequality leads to crime.

There are other demographic factors that have a much higher correlation with crime.

Tom

Old 02-13-2020, 04:27 PM

1,196 posts, read 1,463,165 times
There is a shooting reported every day on the news in Jacksonville. Same area too. That northwest area. Same people, same results. Problem is that this lifestyle is all they know.

It amazes me that there is no accountability by anyone as to stopping this wave of violence. Never hear politicians , well the Mayor is too busy sucking up to the football team owner, the city council is too busy dealing with the JEA scandal..

Only thing you see after a shooting is some useless community group ( mad dads

Old 02-15-2020, 01:48 PM

384 posts, read 342,130 times
The question in my mind is how do you actually stop crime in those areas. While more law enforcement will probably help it is not really working towards a solution. As stated before the real problems are rooted in poverty. Not just being poor because there are plenty of good poor people, but being in the cycle of poverty. If your lot in life is to be born black in some crappy ghetto, your odds of breaking the cycle are low. Odds are high you come from a broken, dysfunctional family. You go to a school that is the worst, where getting well educated is a joke. The economy of the ghetto is actually not what we think of as normal, it is a sub economy run by the thugs. Being a drug dealer is a legit job as is any hustle because if you are black, uneducated, maybe have a felony... exactly what are you going to do to get by? I know some people in my neighborhood who are just so ill educated and while a lot are good guys, they can hardly speak what I call English. They are poor, doing scrub work for nothing. They don't have a drivers license. Who would hire this guy? I feel bad for them. Their life was so far removed from mine as a child. Anyway, the point is I think as a society we have to address the problem at the very earliest stage. Mainly I think putting the best schools in the worst areas, having the city do a full on employment counseling, adult education , family guidance, All laser focused and free in our worst areas. People need to be shown there is another way but I think it is often to late for adults... focus on the kids.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:58 PM

562 posts, read 200,656 times
The Northside (North Of the Trout River) seems a lot tamer than the urban core north side.

Old 02-29-2020, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
The question in my mind is how do you actually stop crime in those areas. While more law enforcement will probably help it is not really working towards a solution. As stated before the real problems are rooted in poverty. Not just being poor because there are plenty of good poor people, but being in the cycle of poverty. If your lot in life is to be born black in some crappy ghetto, your odds of breaking the cycle are low. Odds are high you come from a broken, dysfunctional family. You go to a school that is the worst, where getting well educated is a joke. The economy of the ghetto is actually not what we think of as normal, it is a sub economy run by the thugs. Being a drug dealer is a legit job as is any hustle because if you are black, uneducated, maybe have a felony... exactly what are you going to do to get by? I know some people in my neighborhood who are just so ill educated and while a lot are good guys, they can hardly speak what I call English. They are poor, doing scrub work for nothing. They don't have a drivers license. Who would hire this guy? I feel bad for them. Their life was so far removed from mine as a child. Anyway, the point is I think as a society we have to address the problem at the very earliest stage. Mainly I think putting the best schools in the worst areas, having the city do a full on employment counseling, adult education , family guidance, All laser focused and free in our worst areas. People need to be shown there is another way but I think it is often to late for adults... focus on the kids.
Interestingly enough, two of the city's best schools, Paxon and Stanton Prep are located in the ghetto. Many of the guys in the ghetto have no hope. For many of them, the odds are stacked against them so why fight to improve your situation when you have constant hurdles to jump through? Then you add a broken, dysfunctional family, horrible schools and that's what leads to the ghetto being in disarray. I see myself in a lot of guys who grew up in the Northside 'hood because I could've been one of them: Dead/locked up, selling drugs, hanging on the corner at all times of the day, but some of the OG's pulled me aside and told me "This life isn't what you want. You have the hustle to make it out of the hood. We better not see you on these streets doing wrong. Education and entrepreneurship is your ticket out of the hood."It says a lot when known neighborhood gangsters don't want you making the same mistakes as they have; you listen to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
The Northside (North Of the Trout River) seems a lot tamer than the urban core north side.
As someone who grew up on the Northside, I concur. Dunn Ave. is the dividing line between the good and bad of North Jax. North of Dunn Ave., Northside gets better. South of Dunn Ave. Northside gets hood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or