U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2020, 01:46 PM

48 posts, read 225,076 times

Advertisements

With most new construction homes being built on small lots 40 or 50 ft. I would like opinions from homeowners who live in homes with 40 or 50 ft lot. Do you wish you had purchased a larger lot? Can you here your neighbors inside of the home? Do you here neighbors cars at all times of the day. I ask these questions because new homes in Northeast Florida seem to be stacked pretty close together. Does it look worse than what it is?
All opinions and thoughts are appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 06:30 PM

260 posts, read 133,089 times
While I have not had a tiny lot yet here, I did have a 50ft lot in Texas with a new build in 2011. We were within 10 ft of our neighbors, and their kitchen and dining room windows pointed right at out master bedroom. They liked to party and it was terrible.

We paid extra for an irregular cul de sac lot on the house we are building in Fernandina Beach. This puts us over 20 ft away on the two sides when the angles are applied, with the closest points being areas without living area, well over 35ft away on the living areas. Also more space in the back yard.. takes our 50' wide lot in the front and fans it out to a full 1/4 acre.

You might want to look for something like that, even if it costs $15-20k more.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,427,949 times
We lucked out by renting, then purchasing a house that was a model home so the lot size was considerably larger than most other lots in our area. We have enough space on either side that my son and I can have a good game of catch with some wiggle room on both sides, even with a fence separating our yards.

Personally, space is a bigger priority than the house itself for me. Many of the newer homes in our development are built so close that they are more or less townhomes with shared walls. If your neighbors made any noise at all (and even the "intimate" kind of noise) with how cheaply these homes are built I can guarantee that sound travels right into their neighbor's homes. And with how close they are, you not only have to deal with your immediate neighbors you also have to worry about their neighbors and any potential neighbors behind you as well. If I'm going to spend $300K on a home like that, I'd rather save the money and buy a townhome. It's the same thing more or less, you could hardly enjoy your yard at all and if anyone had a barking dog or played loud music it would be misery.

Old 02-03-2020, 09:03 AM

370 posts, read 269,027 times
building code requires 10 ft (think this is still correct) between the edges of the roofs. Often times, the houses that builders can place on a 40 or 50 ft lot have a small footprint to allow this 10 ft requirement. I have a 60 ft lot but my house has a larger footprint (as do my neighbors) so we still have about the same amount of space between our houses. I can't hear my neighbors from inside my house and no it's not a block home.

That said, 40 ft is pretty narrow. If I could choose without too much of a premium, I would go with 50 and also ask if there are any premium/oversized lots.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:07 AM

4,274 posts, read 12,936,365 times
Another factor regarding narrow lots, besides lack of privacy, is that driveways are shorter and narrower. Since garages become storage spaces for things other than cars, many households have to park a car on the street. In these newer developments the streets tend to be narrow which means traversing the street is more like slalom skiing. We discovered this last year when househunting.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:31 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,427,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
Another factor regarding narrow lots, besides lack of privacy, is that driveways are shorter and narrower. Since garages become storage spaces for things other than cars, many households have to park a car on the street. In these newer developments the streets tend to be narrow which means traversing the street is more like slalom skiing. We discovered this last year when househunting.
Hadn't thought of that but yes, it's a pretty major eyesore in certain neighborhoods too to have 75% of the houses with cars in the driveway or on the already too narrow street.

I now fully understand why these self storage facilities sprout up everywhere, there's no room for everyone's crap!

Old 02-04-2020, 10:20 AM

2,907 posts, read 1,208,212 times
You probably already know the answer to this, but it is better to have a bit more land. Our first house was on a 40 ft. wide x 85 ft. deep lot and our living room and bedroom windows were right next to and above our neighbors driveway, so the layout of the rooms also matters. We had to keep the living room windows closed all the time. After 23 years we downsized to a ranch style house in a neighborhood with 100 ft wide x 150 ft. deep lots. The 100 ft. wide lots provides isolation from neighbors'noise and exhaust fumes, etc. It is much better.

Old 02-07-2020, 09:54 AM

2,046 posts, read 3,104,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sax33 View Post
With most new construction homes being built on small lots 40 or 50 ft. I would like opinions from homeowners who live in homes with 40 or 50 ft lot. Do you wish you had purchased a larger lot? Can you here your neighbors inside of the home? Do you here neighbors cars at all times of the day. I ask these questions because new homes in Northeast Florida seem to be stacked pretty close together. Does it look worse than what it is?
All opinions and thoughts are appreciated.
I have a 70' lot, and it's still to close to the neighbors for me!

SS

Old 02-10-2020, 02:08 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,158,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
This is happening in most of the developments around us. Coupled with the sidewalks are being partially blocked by those with oversized SUV’s and pickup trucks. You wonder where the children will park their cars when they start driving. A lot of friends garages are full and when both the husband wife cars in the driveway I park in the street.

With so many of these new subdivisions on reclaimed pulp wood forests, you would think the land be cheaper and would entice the builder to make the lots a bit wider and deeper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or