U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 06:16 PM

1 posts, read 189 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm considering building a new home with Dreamfinders and I'm reaching out in a "due diligence" kind of way to see if anyone can offer any thoughts, concerns, regrets???

Thanks in advance for any help! - M1316
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 06:58 AM

31 posts, read 16,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariner1316 View Post
Hello all,

I'm considering building a new home with Dreamfinders and I'm reaching out in a "due diligence" kind of way to see if anyone can offer any thoughts, concerns, regrets???

Thanks in advance for any help! - M1316
Hey Mariner,
We signed a contract in 2018 to build and closed in May 2019. In the other Dreamfinders builders thread I posted a lot of thoughts. Here they are summed up.

Structural changes:
Ask them for the options for the model you are looking at and take a day or two to mull them over. We had a few regrets because we didn't do our homework. And if you want to go back and change it after you sign the initial contract, they will charge you out the wazoo. If you think you might want it, you probably will if it fits in your budget. It's cheaper to do just about anything with them than it will be to do it later... with the exceptions of screen, fence and gutters... Alex and Melanie will even tell you that.

Interior design appt:
GO TO THE PREVIEW NIGHT! This is immensely helpful, and worth every minute. Maybe even go twice. Again, anything you want will be cheaper with them than getting it done later. Just determine if it's something you want to potentially pay on for 30 years. Anything that wouldn't potentially/probably make it through at least about 15 years we didn't roll into the mortgage and did it later... we should have had DF do it and just increased our down payment.

Build:
My dad was a construction super for 10 years in Orlando and he looked at our house multiple times and structurally was very impressed. Said it looked great and was better built than he thought it would be. The details on the finishes are average at best. The subs are super freaking lazy so pay attention to every little detail on walkthroughs. the paint quality is crap, so we are repainting with a better quality paint... if you ask them to use better paint, they will kill you on pricing, so just wait on that and do it yourself. The grout in our showers has been terrible. It has mostly washed away, and while DFH has been on my side and pressuring them, the actual company has stopped responding so I'm elevating it with DFH now to ensure they actually follow up. I might even just pay a real company to come out and do it right.

Overall thoughts:
We like our house a lot. Everything we have had wrong has (thankfully) been minor. If you build in here, ask for Amanda to be your super. The other ones suck, and she is awesome. If you have a concern, she will get it fixed right away. Also, hire an inspector. We used Paul Drayton... nothing negative to say, but also not rave reviews. I'm going to look around for better recommendations for our one year inspection. Also, they no longer use Zip System on the roof... I'm not sure why, but may be worth an ask.

PM me if you have any specifics. I'm happy to answer what questions I can.

Old 02-27-2020, 01:54 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,102,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soflguy View Post
Hey Mariner,
We signed a contract in 2018 to build and closed in May 2019. In the other Dreamfinders builders thread I posted a lot of thoughts. Here they are summed up.

Structural changes:
Ask them for the options for the model you are looking at and take a day or two to mull them over. We had a few regrets because we didn't do our homework. And if you want to go back and change it after you sign the initial contract, they will charge you out the wazoo. If you think you might want it, you probably will if it fits in your budget. It's cheaper to do just about anything with them than it will be to do it later... with the exceptions of screen, fence and gutters... Alex and Melanie will even tell you that.

Interior design appt:
GO TO THE PREVIEW NIGHT! This is immensely helpful, and worth every minute. Maybe even go twice. Again, anything you want will be cheaper with them than getting it done later. Just determine if it's something you want to potentially pay on for 30 years. Anything that wouldn't potentially/probably make it through at least about 15 years we didn't roll into the mortgage and did it later... we should have had DF do it and just increased our down payment.

Build:
My dad was a construction super for 10 years in Orlando and he looked at our house multiple times and structurally was very impressed. Said it looked great and was better built than he thought it would be. The details on the finishes are average at best. The subs are super freaking lazy so pay attention to every little detail on walkthroughs. the paint quality is crap, so we are repainting with a better quality paint... if you ask them to use better paint, they will kill you on pricing, so just wait on that and do it yourself. The grout in our showers has been terrible. It has mostly washed away, and while DFH has been on my side and pressuring them, the actual company has stopped responding so I'm elevating it with DFH now to ensure they actually follow up. I might even just pay a real company to come out and do it right.

Overall thoughts:
We like our house a lot. Everything we have had wrong has (thankfully) been minor. If you build in here, ask for Amanda to be your super. The other ones suck, and she is awesome. If you have a concern, she will get it fixed right away. Also, hire an inspector. We used Paul Drayton... nothing negative to say, but also not rave reviews. I'm going to look around for better recommendations for our one year inspection. Also, they no longer use Zip System on the roof... I'm not sure why, but may be worth an ask.

PM me if you have any specifics. I'm happy to answer what questions I can.
They stopped using the zip system on the roof because the subcontractors (framers or roofers, one of the two) installing the tape were not rolling it (required by the manufacturer), and they are having leaks on some homes because of that. The company that does the walls however, is trained and monitored by Huber (the Zip Wall manufacturer), so there are no problems with the walls.

They are now using a full underlayment on their roofs, which is a far superior installation in my opinion, and I would certainly recommend Dream Finders to anyone buying a new home.

SS

Old Today, 12:49 PM

6 posts
Definitely read up on reviews online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville