Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 08:59 AM

5 posts, read 4,358 times

Advertisements

Coming from another state and looking into moving to Jacksonville.
Looking for jobs in the I.T. field is just hopeless.
They view my resume and but that's about it.

I put down that I can phone interview and fly down at my own expense but still nothing.
I would like to have a job before I move.

We do have around $30,000 in funds to just go down there and look for work but that is a huge risk and could very well have to retreat back if no work is available to a transplant.

How the hell do you even begin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2020, 09:17 AM

482 posts, read 419,275 times
You're doing exactly what you're supposed to do: secure the job BEFORE you move.

It takes time.

Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 AM

10 posts, read 7,037 times
Linkedin - market yourself - make connections.
Search for hr / Onboarding personnel in Jax
Search for IT companies in jax

Find common background with these folks, make a connection. Get them to interact with you. Don't go right for the 'can I send you my resume', build a rapport first. Get them involved.

If you want jax leads, make sure you change your location to Jacksonville on resume and linkedin

Theres so many tricks, it's a game you need to understand the rules.

What's your background?

Old 02-25-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ______ View Post
Linkedin - market yourself - make connections.
Search for hr / Onboarding personnel in Jax
Search for IT companies in jax

Find common background with these folks, make a connection. Get them to interact with you. Don't go right for the 'can I send you my resume', build a rapport first. Get them involved.

If you want jax leads, make sure you change your location to Jacksonville on resume and linkedin

Theres so many tricks, it's a game you need to understand the rules.

What's your background?
I have 20 years as a Systems admin with a do it all (Phone systems, network, etc)
Mainly support 200 people or less but worked MSPs supporting 80 companies as manager of 16 techs.

I did update my resume to Jacksonville but all previous are not of course.

I get a few views but don't hear from anyone.
Not sure if i should reach out directly to the hiring manager or not.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:05 AM

9,392 posts, read 8,360,377 times
You mention getting " a few views".......how are you applying to jobs? It sounds like you've simply posted a resume online and are expecting to get called by someone. You have to actively search for openings, then apply. In IT I suspect there are dozens of reputable IT staffing firms that can, at a minimum, get you interviews and/or temp positions that would allow you to secure housing and get formally move to Jax.

You gotta be way more proactive than that.

Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 AM

Lol,
I send them out through Indeed.
There really isnt any way for me to contact them directly.
I am with a couple of staffing firms and just got a call that they hired someone locally for one I applied to

Double edge sword.

Old 02-25-2020, 12:41 PM

Don't go through Indeed. If you find a job posting there, go to their website and apply there instead. I've got much better results that way if that option is available.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:00 PM

Secure a recruiter, Google "top tech firms in Jacksonville" and go to each company's Careers page looking for jobs directly, search all job sites not just Indeed, update LinkedIn, have someone review your resume who is a professional, find a local address and use that when applying.....etc. etc. Grab the bull by the horns!

Old 02-25-2020, 01:43 PM

4 posts, read 1,399 times
I agree with Florida2014. Indeed is a useless website. LinkedIn is much better. Also, try to apply straight from the company's website instead of using the staffing firm.
You can look up the salary on Glassdoor. Besides, what skills do you have? "20 years as a Systems admin" won't guarantee you a job. Today, most companies are outsourcing IT jobs to oversea.
Last, I don't understand the reason of changing the address to local. I got a job offer in Jacksonville, including the relocation package, which will cost you a lot of money.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duclong12a5 View Post
I don't understand the reason of changing the address to local. I got a job offer in Jacksonville, including the relocation package, which will cost you a lot of money.
It's because some companies may want to only deal with local employees and not have the added expense of flying in candidates, or the time it takes to do so. You just have to be prepared to fly out quickly, which can cost big bucks. You can always outline in the cover letter your intent to move and that "I am able to meet with you at your convenience as I have several upcoming trips to the Jax area."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: