U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2020, 02:32 PM

13 posts, read 10,822 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 (two high schoolers still at home) relocating to Jacksonville. The options for housing are endless it seems!

High schools are important, but as long as they are not 'the worst' we are open. We have moved A LOT, and have ALWAYS picked the 'best schools in the area'. Quite honestly, we haven't been happy with the 'best' schools. Test scores are great, but sometimes those awesome schools are ONLY into the test scores and not looking out for the kids socially.

I am literally all over the place right now because my husband and I have different ideas of what we want.

Details: Job is located near Deerwood. We do not want to spend more than $500k. Of course, less is always better!

1) I love the idea of walkability. I love Fernandina Beach, but I feel like the drive to Deerwood would get old quickly.

What other areas should i look into that are walkable? Or, Golf Cartable?
Are golf carts allowed in the beach towns?
Are the Jacksonville Beaches as quaint and walkable as Fernandina?

2) Any neighborhoods that have boat storage or docks in the neighborhood?

3) What golf course communities are worth looking at near Deerwood?

I looked in Deerwood, but I am not happy that they do not have sidewalks. If I can't get 'walkability' to a quaint little town, I need walkability in my neighborhood without getting hit by a car.

4) I get pulled to Nassau county every time I look online. North Hampton (boat storage in 'hood, great amenities, golf, close to Fernandina) and Amelia National.

How are these neighborhoods?
Would the commute be terrible to Deerwood?

Thanks so much for any input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 03:07 PM

2,046 posts, read 3,102,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makememories8 View Post
We are a family of 4 (two high schoolers still at home) relocating to Jacksonville. The options for housing are endless it seems!

High schools are important, but as long as they are not 'the worst' we are open. We have moved A LOT, and have ALWAYS picked the 'best schools in the area'. Quite honestly, we haven't been happy with the 'best' schools. Test scores are great, but sometimes those awesome schools are ONLY into the test scores and not looking out for the kids socially.

I am literally all over the place right now because my husband and I have different ideas of what we want.

Details: Job is located near Deerwood. We do not want to spend more than $500k. Of course, less is always better!

1) I love the idea of walkability. I love Fernandina Beach, but I feel like the drive to Deerwood would get old quickly.

I looked in Deerwood, but I am not happy that they do not have sidewalks. If I can't get 'walkability' to a quaint little town, I need walkability in my neighborhood without getting hit by a car.

4) I get pulled to Nassau county every time I look online. North Hampton (boat storage in 'hood, great amenities, golf, close to Fernandina) and Amelia National.

The commute from Fernandina to Deerwood would range between atrocious to pure hell if you're talking about normal working hours and traffic times.

Jax Beach is not where I personally would send you, as it's gotten a bit rough with a pretty large homeless population. I would suggest you look at Neptune and Atlantic Beach (which is still part of J'ville). Much more quaint and safer, and 1st street is full of walkers/joggers/bikers all the time. You should easily be able to find something in your budget and yes, golf carts are allowed, but there are some specifics to registering them to drive them on the streets. I don't know those specifics, but if you look up the Atlantic Beach group on Facebook, there is a whole thread dedicated to the topic. I wouldn't say Atlantic/Neptune is as quaint as Fernandina, but St. Augustine, which is far better in my opinion, is just a short jaunt down a very scenic A1A.

Fletcher High is ok if you keep them in the right group. I have one kid that goes there and is in the AICE program, which keeps them somewhat separated from the less desirables, shall we say. My other kid makes the hour long drive to and from Paxon School for Advanced Studies, and he's in the IB program there. He tried Fletcher for a couple quarters, but quickly went back to Paxon, and has now earned the Bright Futures scholarship. My point being that there are school options besides just Fletcher if you're willing to put in the work and pursue them with a little bit of due diligence. Of course, the kids have to be motivated for all that as well, or you won't be able to do it on your own.

Good luck!

SS

Old 03-05-2020, 04:06 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,153,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by makememories8 View Post

For quality of life and location it is hard to beat Amelia Island and living off island. The proximity to the airport, downtown Jacksonville and the amount of shopping and restaurants available in short distance is another plus.

The schools are rated pretty well but unfortunately are nearing capacity or at capacity.

500k is quickly becoming the median price of homes on island. Off island 500k will get you a lot more house.

I leave the island each morning between 5:30-6:00 AM and traffic in both directions is busy. They say 45% of Nassau County commutes to Jacksonville.

I put a link below from 2017, our growth has really exploded since then and the main road heading east and west which was supposed to be completed in 2019 is still not completed.

I have commuted in Boston, LA, San Diego and a few other large urban areas and the traffic in Jacksonville is a breeze compared to those areas but it has gotten really heavy for those that have nothing to compare it to.

It wasn’t that long ago we only had two traffic lights heading east to Amelia Island from I-95!

Good luck and welcome to the area.

https://ameliaislandliving.com/ferna...fic-commuting/

Last edited by JBtwinz; 03-05-2020 at 04:18 PM..

Old 03-05-2020, 08:51 PM

370 posts, read 268,101 times
I would say Nocatee but the whole 'high rated schools all about test scores' has me hesitate. It's walkability is limited to the growing retail that is the Nocatee town center. Sidewalks and golf carts are abundant, it's 10 minutes to the beach, 30 minutes to St Aug or downtown Jax (and Deerwood). The down side is that it's the trendy master planned community where if a kid is seen fishing in a pond, social media is lighting up with people arguing over whether that is allowed, safe, invasion of privacy etc...The schools are A rated but lots of cliques, crowded and lacking diversity. It also lacks any southern charm if that is important as not many people living in Nocatee are actually from Florida. It is super low crime, clean, tons of amenities etc but older kids wont care much about these things. It is an awesome place for families raising small kids.

Old 03-06-2020, 06:31 AM

4,728 posts, read 3,415,177 times
Now that 9B is complete, the drive from the 210 corridor to Deerwood is not that bad - 20 mins roughly assuming no major traffic stoppages. There are ample golf course communities over here - St Johns Golf and Country Club (my suggestion), Cimarrone and South Hampton. All are located in areas with good high schools, all are walkable and you can probably get far more house for your buck than in other areas such as Nocatee (which isn't a golf course neighborhood but has sidewalks).

Palencia is another option but that commute would likely get old as well as you'd have to probably be on Highway 1 back and forth every day, 30-35 minutes minimum. And $500K would not go as far there either.

I like Shaken's Neptune Beach suggestion. There are some nice, quaint neighborhoods in the Neptune/Jax Beach area that you might find you like. And I also agree with him about that commute from Nassau. Life is simply too short to be doing that nonsense day after day.

Old 03-06-2020, 04:29 PM

13 posts, read 10,822 times
Thank you all for the input!

I keep reading about the Mandarin, San Jose, San Marco area being walkable. I see this area is close to work, and marinas are near. Are these areas safe and truly walkable? I know it is further from the beach, but just want to know if I should even put this area on my 'to look at area' when we come down.

Old 03-06-2020, 05:23 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,153,726 times
My wife used to commute to JTB at Skinner Parkway, right by I-95. Leaving mid island and traveling Hecksher to 295 south would be just about an hour each way to give you an example.

Amelia Island is pretty self sustaining, we rarely go off island on the weekends, shopping, restaurants, biking, kayaking and the beaches.

It is a great place to live and raise children and it checks off a lot of boxes, but the commute if you are working on the south side is going to be the big negative. Downtown Jacksonville at the urban core is doable!

The growth in Jacksonville and those areas surrounding it has been amazing the last eight years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or