U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city in Florida will we find it easiest to get a 5000 sq ft + home for 700K-1.2M in that feeds
Jacksonville 6 54.55%
Naples-Fort Myers 3 27.27%
Orlando 0 0%
Greater Tampa Bay Area 0 0%
Fort Lauderdale 0 0%
Daytona Beach area 1 9.09%
Other 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2020, 10:41 PM

2 posts, read 561 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm considering relocating to Jacksonville.

So, the main reasons for our moving are warmer weather and lower taxes.

I'd also like to get a nicer, larger home in the 4500 sq ft + range.

I work from home, often spending ~ 10+ hrs per day, at least 6 days per week, so I'd like to get a larger home with 1 or 2 home offices.

Having extra room for visiting family and/or babysitters wouldn't hurt, either.

My wife is a physician. She's considering an offer from St. Vincent's Ascension - Riverside - Hospital.

Can we find homes in the 4500 sq ft + range that are close-by? Target price range is 700K-1.2M. I'm very nervous about spending more than 1.2M because I've noticed that it's difficult to sell expensive homes outside of San Jose, San Francisco, DC, and NY.

We have 2 young kids under 3, so good schools and childcare are important, too.

I enjoy sporting activities, including tennis and racquetball. Does Jacksonville have a big sporting community?

Can we get a large home with good schools within 15-30 minutes of St. Vincent's Ascension - Riverside - Hospital?

We're also looking at Naples and Fort Myers. Does Jacksonville compare favorably to Naples for family-friendliness, weather, housing, and sporting activities? Are the beaches comparable? I did notice that the property taxes in Collier County are some of the lowest statewide. How big a factor should that be?

Are there other cities in Florida that you'd suggest looking into?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2020, 01:14 AM

238 posts, read 98,583 times
You're wanting to spend a million dollars on housing for your family....and you resort to an anonymous internet message board?

Good luck, pal.

Old 03-08-2020, 09:02 AM

22 posts, read 3,770 times
Ponte Vedra Beach would fit the bill nicely. We are planning to relocate there in the very near future. We didn't care for Naples, its very seasonal and seniors oriented.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:47 AM

370 posts, read 268,101 times
Ocala

Old 03-10-2020, 02:01 AM

8,106 posts, read 4,433,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_239_904 View Post
Hi,

I work from home, often spending ~ 10+ hrs per day, at least 6 days per week, so I'd like to get a larger home with 1 or 2 home offices.

My wife is a physician. She's considering an offer from St. Vincent's Ascension - Riverside - Hospital.

Can we find homes in the 4500 sq ft + range that are close-by? Target price range is 700K-1.2M. I'm very nervous about spending more than 1.2M because I've noticed that it's difficult to sell expensive homes outside of San Jose, San Francisco, DC, and NY.

I enjoy sporting activities, including tennis and racquetball. Does Jacksonville have a big sporting community?

Can we get a large home with good schools within 15-30 minutes of St. Vincent's Ascension - Riverside - Hospital?

We're also looking at Naples and Fort Myers. Does Jacksonville compare favorably to Naples for family-friendliness, weather, housing, and sporting activities? Are the beaches comparable? I did notice that the property taxes in Collier County are some of the lowest statewide. How big a factor should that be?

This one hits most of your requirements and Google says it's nine minutes to the hospital. Extremely nice area that I've had my eye on for a while but you'll need to touch base with some people who are already there to find out about the schools, etc..

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...44499550_zpid/

Here's another, also nine minutes to work, but on foot...

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...82979599_zpid/

You might want to look on the other side of the river in the San Marco area to be a little closer to the beach if that's important to you.

Last edited by kokonutty; 03-10-2020 at 02:11 AM..

Old 03-10-2020, 08:37 AM

3,616 posts, read 1,949,095 times
IMHO, why live in Florida if you can't be close to the beach? It depends on how much you wife likes to drive and if the commute from a beach area is a non starter. St Johns schools are consistently rated the best in Florida. We have a lot of Mayo Doctors here in PVB, maybe she can get a job there. Some people love San Marco and Ortega with the gorgeous old houses and really nice neighborhoods. PVB is a but more sterile and not really neighborhoodish (is that a word?) with most things a drive but close to the beach and cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter but also more likely to evacuate in case of a hurricane. In the end its up to you. Good luck.

Old Today, 12:28 PM

2 posts
Hi, a bit late to this post. Hope it helps.

Healthcare is abundant for jobs here in Jax. We are the least expensive coastal city in Florida. Period.

To give you an idea, here are the homes that have already sold in that type of criteria:

[url]https://www.flexmls.com/link.html?1isevaj63xru,15,1[/url]

Public information, I just made it easier to find.

Our of those, four of them have tennis courts in their neighborhood, which is probably a good start because they will have some good community amenities, etc. The ones in St. Johns, FL you may like.

Super affordable in Jax, but it gets colder in the winter than Naples. Two different worlds.

I love Jax, we moved here from Ohio 15 years ago and I raised my kids here. We live a mile from the beach and honestly that's the place to be because it's warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida_239_904 View Post
Hi,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or