U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2020, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 6,196 times

Advertisements

Can someone give me good advice on how to keep the snakes out? And, a good reliable company that can help solve my issue without charging me a fortune? Snake fence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 05:56 PM

421 posts, read 725,040 times
Snakes make good snacks.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:43 PM

370 posts, read 269,258 times
Just learn to accept that they are part of your habitat there and be on the lookout. Learn to identify which are venomous and which aren't and give them space. Spray them with a garden hose to shooo them off. There isn't a snake pesticide company and moth balls are meh.... Are you in a new construction area or is this a long standing issue?

I moved to the same area three years ago and saw snakes ALL THE TIME. Nowadays I barely see them (even last summer). The more built out a neighborhood gets, the more the critters seem to move on.

Old 03-18-2020, 05:24 AM

4,763 posts, read 3,430,408 times
These companies claiming they can rid your yard of snakes are scamming you. Neighbors have reported that they come and sprinkle fairy dust around your yard and then rope you into some type of monthly deal with them praying on your irrational fear of snakes.

There are some people who will come out for free and relocate the snakes, that is probably your best bet if you really are that afraid of them.

I've seen two snakes on my property in 6 years, one was a black racer and the other was a corn snake....neither venomous.

Old Today, 10:28 AM

4,275 posts, read 12,937,478 times
Plain and simple you want snakes. Yes, you can jump a mile if one appears, but if petrified just back off and let the snake do what you want it to do - clear your property of the unwanted bugs and rodents. Nine times out of ten the snake is more afraid of you. A racer for example will freeze so that it thinks it looks like a stick. Certainly the venomous ones aren't as welcome (rattlers, cottonmouths), but the majority are harmless. Even the venomous ones want nothing to do with you unless cornered. It's just habit to never slog around in thick underbrush nor reach your hands into where you can't see. That's what long-handled rakes are for. I am one of those who jumps a mile and my heart stops when I see a snake, and I back off. I don't like snakes. But then I start to breath again and remember that snakes do have a purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville