Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 09:41 AM

196 posts, read 206,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
more of a pricier Olive Garden with huge portions.
have you eaten there?...Ive been curious about trying it, was wondering if it was any good... yeah, def more pricier than OG, but seems to draw in the townies and shoppers because of the location, I get turned off to the lines/wait at OG too... I can make my own Italian these days that pleases me better than out, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2008, 01:18 PM

859 posts, read 3,604,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparco View Post
have you eaten there?...Ive been curious about trying it, was wondering if it was any good... yeah, def more pricier than OG, but seems to draw in the townies and shoppers because of the location, I get turned off to the lines/wait at OG too... I can make my own Italian these days that pleases me better than out, lol
Quite a few times and they do taste good. Always got leftovers with their pasta dishes, but other entrees are portioned just fine. I quit going to olive garden since it doesn't taste all that great so the wait there was never worth it. Avoid lines at Maggiano's when you go for earlier dinner and not on Fri/Sat. Reservations can be taken I believe.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:38 PM

895 posts, read 4,236,861 times
Quote:
Ate there once. Food was decent -- portions huge. Husband and I both got upset stomaches (I think the food was too oily for us) afterwards so we'll never go back.

IMO, I wouldn't consider this restaurant fine dining. You can't put Maggiano's in the same thread as Matthew's or Restaurant Medure (sorry).

Old 04-28-2008, 08:19 AM

70 posts, read 360,552 times
I agree about Maggiano's. It's a fun place to go with a big group, but I would not consider it fine dining. The meals are served family style though, so better make sure you go with people who have similar taste. For Italian food, fine dining style, I would go with Giovanni's, Cafe Andiamo, or Travini's out at the beach. La Cucina downtown is pretty good too, just make sure you don't try to change any of the dishes, because the chef will not be happy.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM

The only fine dining in SJTC, if you can call it that, is Capital Grill. Mitchel's Fish Market and Catina is more of a after work hang out place.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:00 AM

1,641 posts, read 5,008,252 times
Maggiano's is a chain. I've eaten at the one in Tampa, and thought, like the others, the food was good, but not of the quality of a little mom-pop place. Best I've had (and I haven't eaten at Giovanni's which I hear is great), is Sarnelli's in Orange Park. Family owned and operated, they've been there for a very long time. It's just incredible food there.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreatlife View Post
Best I've had (and I haven't eaten at Giovanni's which I hear is great), is Sarnelli's in Orange Park. Family owned and operated, they've been there for a very long time. It's just incredible food there.
Sorrento on Saint Augustine Road in the Lakewood-Dupont area (San Jose) is really good too, same chef for 21 years now.

I still need to check out Sarnelli's and Giovanni's...haven't been to either yet.

Old 04-29-2008, 10:11 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,783,258 times
Olive Garden has Italian food? This is new to me. Maggiano's is a huge chain. The first one I ate at was in Costa Mesa, CA. It was OK, I thought the food was kind of bland and very greasy. I actually think Macaroni Grill is better as far as the chains go. If you like Olive Garden however I think you would be impressed. But I'm kind of a snob when it comes to Italian food lol.

I'm sure a city as large as Jacksonville has to have at least one decent local Italian restaurant. Do some research or get some recommendations and try a local place and you will taste the difference.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:01 AM

196 posts, read 206,701 times
Default Chinese

Im really been hungry lately for some good Egg Foo Yong, I have yet to find any place that has good Chinese, that place on Mayport Rd is so bad, yuck, do not go there, they are king size ripoffs and the food is horrible, at least what I had was, and I didnt even get the buffet, which is probably why it was so gross...but I have tried Wok N Roll and thought it was mediocre, anyone have any suggestions for Chinese?...Im not big on Japanese, and I can make my own Egg Foo Yong pretty good, but its the gravy Im really hungry for, I cant make the Chinese gravy the way they can, and since King Woo left the beach Ive been pretty sad, did they relocate or just go out of business?...anyone know?....they were excellent...thanks for any help, I really like Chinese alot, the mall venues are kinda good, but Id like a nice sit down atmosphere without all the racket if theres some place decent....

Old 04-30-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Im really been hungry lately for some good Egg Foo Yong, I have yet to find any place that has good Chinese, that place on Mayport Rd is so bad, yuck, do not go there, they are king size ripoffs and the food is horrible, at least what I had was, and I didnt even get the buffet, which is probably why it was so gross...but I have tried Wok N Roll and thought it was mediocre, anyone have any suggestions for Chinese?...Im not big on Japanese, and I can make my own Egg Foo Yong pretty good, but its the gravy Im really hungry for, I cant make the Chinese gravy the way they can, and since King Woo left the beach Ive been pretty sad, did they relocate or just go out of business?...anyone know?....they were excellent...thanks for any help, I really like Chinese alot, the mall venues are kinda good, but Id like a nice sit down atmosphere without all the racket if theres some place decent....
getting OT but...
Try Hong Kong Bistro on San Jose Blvd. It's a sit down place.

googled egg foo young sauce:
  • 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
  • a few drops sesame oil
  • Freshly ground black or white pepper to taste, optional
  • 1 teaspoon cornstarch dissolved in 4 teaspoons water
Chained Chinese take out places often depends on the chef, they all have the same menu, same source of ingredients, but different chefs on rotating shifts, even switch between the stores. Food at the same store you go to for years often taste different depending on who cooked the fried rice that shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville