Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 07:50 PM

5,125 posts, read 6,119,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Florida is all about beaches and water, etc. If we don't get the economy open, the deaths from poverty, suicide, domestic abuse, etc. will make the covid 19 deaths look like a minor accident. Why is this so hard to understand?

If you want to stay at home, no problem.
As far as staying home, when you are deemed essential I have no choice.

On another note if this virus and it’s shelter in place start undermining our many Floridian family’s core values in a way that suicide, domestic abuse, and crime become common place then I have really mis-judged my fellow neighbors.

We shall see in a few weeks with the governor releasing nursing home numbers and if our numbers peak or keep rising.

PS. Jacksonville made for some pretty big news today internationally and domestically. My European friends said we were the lead in all day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 07:50 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,415,447 times
Quote:
Congratulations, Jacksonville! And no, I don't think it's a "crazy bad idea" like the snowflake in the article.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...-reopen-friday
Well ,,We all will know in less than 2 weeks if opening up the beach to the public was such a great idea. Hope it was but lets just wait and see if people start getting sick in any notable numbers.

Old 04-19-2020, 05:23 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,304,358 times
#FloridaMorons trending on Twitter. Here’s why.
Many people of Twitter aren’t impressed with Jacksonville reopening its beaches during the pandemic.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health...ter-heres-why/

"Holy hell.

Today, Florida set a record of new coronavirus cases: 1,413 in the last 24 hours.

Florida’s total cases is now 24,753.

Today, @GovRonDeSantis allowed beaches back open."

Old 04-19-2020, 06:57 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,176,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Many people of Twitter aren’t impressed with Jacksonville reopening its beaches during the pandemic.

"Holy hell.

Today, Florida set a record of new coronavirus cases: 1,413 in the last 24 hours.

They're just jealous.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
Well ,,We all will know in less than 2 weeks if opening up the beach to the public was such a great idea. Hope it was but lets just wait and see if people start getting sick in any notable numbers.
But how do we know? I personally don't know anyone who has covid. I don't even know OF anyone who has covid. My sister, who is up in Connecticut, says she knows two young men who are home improvement subcontractors who had it and recovered (mild cases). She said a mutual friend of ours had an elderly neighbor in Massachusetts who went out for a run, came home and apparently keeled over and died. Autopsy said covid. The weird thing I've heard is that local governments are counting any deaths other than stuff like car accidents as covid.

I've got two elderly neighbors in very poor health, with all sorts of physical conditions, who are hanging in there. Every day their daughter comes over to take care of them. Surely if it's that bad, the daughter would have brought in an infection?

Old 04-19-2020, 08:16 AM

25,685 posts, read 12,765,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyfanatic85 View Post
Good for the great state of Florida and Gov. DeSantis! Hoping other governors follow his lead stat!
South Carolina just did the same.

Old 04-19-2020, 08:41 AM

283 posts, read 288,629 times
It looks like CNN somewhat exaggerated the crowds and the situation in Jax after the beach opened.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...81D94HyhqkjK4Y

Old 04-19-2020, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorlyn View Post
It looks like CNN somewhat exaggerated the crowds and the situation in Jax after the beach opened.

https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...81D94HyhqkjK4Y

Well, shoot, they won't let me give you another rep until I spread it around. Anyway, those are great images.

And again I say "Congratulations, Jacksonville!" Best city in Florida, IMO.

Interesting on that thread you posted, gatorlyn, are all the nursing homes in the area with Covid-19 cases. Gee, I wonder how that happened. It's not like the people in those homes are out and about mixing and mingling. I guess their "caretakers" are infecting them. No surprise.

Any Wal-Mart shoppers here? I don't know about your neighborhood WalMart, but mine is wide open. Not just for food, pharmacueticals and other necessities, but ALL departments. I find that a bit odd. Why wouldn't they shutter the rest of the store and just keep the essential departments open? Why does WalMart get to sell clothes and Bealls is shuttered?

Old 04-19-2020, 10:33 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post

"Holy hell.

I'm not saying opening the beaches was a bad idea, but that number simply cannot be directly correlated to the opening of the beaches literally the same day. Those new cases had to be from being tested 10 or more days ago. I see this stat trending everywhere and I sort of eye roll at it because one did not cause the other.

Old 04-19-2020, 10:36 AM

9,374 posts, read 8,342,991 times
Quote:
Florida is all about beaches and water, etc. If we don't get the economy open, the deaths from poverty, suicide, domestic abuse, etc. will make the covid 19 deaths look like a minor accident. Why is this so hard to understand?

If you want to stay at home, no problem.
I'm seeing this as a Fox News/Trump talking point that is making its way around social media. While I agree there will be serious economic and emotional tolls taken on society, in no way would it replicate the hundreds of thousands of deaths in just the matter of a few months. I don't buy this at all, it's the Right's only real response to the reality of more deaths by opening up too soon.

Funny, though, that is supposed to be the Pro Life group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville