Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2020, 01:49 AM

99 posts, read 166,847 times

Advertisements

We're in a condo right now, renting. We're looking to buy sometime within the next 6 months. We're open to as far north as Springfield, as far south as St. Augustine, as far west as Orange Park/Lake Side/Green Cove Springs and as far east as the beaches (though that seems unlikely with our budget.)

Ideally, we're looking for a mid century modern 3BR, 2 BA house with a pool or room to build one for under $400K. No kids, so not concerned about school districts and we split between office and WFH (obviously, right now, we're working from home 100% of the time), but we've both lived in LA so Jax traffic is not a big deal to us. In other words, we're fine commuting from all over the greater Jax area if we find the right spot.

From browsing real estate sales from the past three years, the good news is, the kind of place we're looking for does still seem to exist in Jax. The bad news is, not that many of them go on the market every year, so it feels like we could be waiting a long time. That's okay, we're not in a rush and can wait for the right place. Based upon what I've observed, it looks like our most likely areas to find such a house would be Arlington, Orange Park, Lakeside, Grove Park.

I wouldn't say we're married to one particular style of mid century modern and, we're realistic here, this is Jax and we're not millionaires, so it doesn't necessarily need to be Architectural Digest ready. I guess what we like most are... clean, angular lines, lots of natural light, brightness. Interior remodels that "refresh", but don't lose the character of the place and don't turn the homes into generic McMansions (what is up with that grey vinyl "wood" flooring that seems to be going into every remodel??)

Anyway, we're going to start working with a realtor soon, but we like to do our own homework and not just be reliant upon the realtor. Do y'all think this is just a pipe dream, or do we have a realistic shot at scoring this type of home sometime in the next... year?

This is an example of a MCM home that's currently on the market that, well... bless their hearts. They just went way over the top. It looks like a late 50s/early 60s themed hotel:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...43705681_zpid/

Here are example of some others that have sold over the last couple of years that more closely fit our goal (none of them is 'perfect' or has everything we want, but they give you the general idea):

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/8...44483572_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/5...43705667_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...44530722_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4...44559412_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/7030-Di...44539152_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2020, 09:47 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,986,983 times
There are many MCM houses in Jacksonville. Many are entry-level for first-time buyers in an as-is state, many are flipped and depending on the value in the neighborhood some are well-done or are simply, well, flipped (slapped on paint, new cheap appliances, etc.). If one goes on the market it can go fast because of affordabiilty.

The neighborhoods where you find many mid-century houses vary greatly in flavor. Some are generally well-kept, others are "half and half" with nice houses mixed in with Sanford & Sons, and others are completely Sanford & Sons.

It is possible to find what you're looking for.

As for vinyl plank flooring, good stuff actually. Water and moisture proof, easy to install, and affordable. Scratch resistant. Less concerns installing it over cement slabs than wood products with the humidity here. Makes for decent flooring for active families with kids and pets. There are cheap versions that look and sound like plastic, and better types with thicker layers and built-in sound barriers that can look and sound better than laminates. Does it fit into a MCM house? Maybe yes maybe no. Depends on the interior design and decor.

Old 05-11-2020, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
There are many MCM houses in Jacksonville. Many are entry-level for first-time buyers in an as-is state, many are flipped and depending on the value in the neighborhood some are well-done or are simply, well, flipped (slapped on paint, new cheap appliances, etc.). If one goes on the market it can go fast because of affordabiilty.

The neighborhoods where you find many mid-century houses vary greatly in flavor. Some are generally well-kept, others are "half and half" with nice houses mixed in with Sanford & Sons, and others are completely Sanford & Sons.

It is possible to find what you're looking for.

As for vinyl plank flooring, good stuff actually. Water and moisture proof, easy to install, and affordable. Scratch resistant. Less concerns installing it over cement slabs than wood products with the humidity here. Makes for decent flooring for active families with kids and pets. There are cheap versions that look and sound like plastic, and better types with thicker layers and built-in sound barriers that can look and sound better than laminates. Does it fit into a MCM house? Maybe yes maybe no. Depends on the interior design and decor.

Oh my gosh! "Sanford & Sons" -- what a great way to describe some houses in Jax. I know exactly what you mean, too. We went to an open house for a really nice MCM bungalow in Arlington a couple of weeks ago. The house itself was tastefully updated without losing its character, but the neighborhood was such a mixed bag of one house being well manicured and cared for and the next basically a junkyard for the owners' 17 rusty off-road vehicles. It felt a bit like a neighborhood that was going to stay stuck in time and, with it, its property values, so we passed.

As for vinyl flooring. I was referring specifically to this grey colored "wood" vinyl flooring that seems to be everywhere now. If you've spent anytime browsing real estate listings, you'll see how ubiquitous it's become. This type of thing. It just looks like you've stepped into a monochrome landscape. Kinda soulless. But it seems awfully popular, so I'm clearly in the minority on that.

Old 05-11-2020, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCali View Post
Oh my gosh! "Sanford & Sons" -- what a great way to describe some houses in Jax. I know exactly what you mean, too. We went to an open house for a really nice MCM bungalow in Arlington a couple of weeks ago. The house itself was tastefully updated without losing its character, but the neighborhood was such a mixed bag of one house being well manicured and cared for and the next basically a junkyard for the owners' 17 rusty off-road vehicles. It felt a bit like a neighborhood that was going to stay stuck in time and, with it, its property values, so we passed.

As for vinyl flooring. I was referring specifically to this grey colored "wood" vinyl flooring that seems to be everywhere now. If you've spent anytime browsing real estate listings, you'll see how ubiquitous it's become. This type of thing. It just looks like you've stepped into a monochrome landscape. Kinda soulless. But it seems awfully popular, so I'm clearly in the minority on that.
Ok got it ... the gray "wood" floors, not necessarily non-wood flooring. I know what you mean. Goes along with gray paint. Everywhere. I am not necessarily opposed to gray, but it's hard to remember a house when it's gray like the others.

Have you looked in Fort Caroline? North of Ft. Caroline Rd in 32277 and 32225.

Old 05-11-2020, 04:44 PM

6,419 posts, read 4,913,806 times
As far as those LVP, Luxury Vinyl Plank floors go. We actually started to install it in our house. They put down 40% of it and it looked like a tiger (not Woods) was used for the pattern. We told them to stop immediately as we could never live with it. I ripped it out gently by hand and gave it to Habitat for Humanity. Since we wanted a waterproof floor we decided to go with ceramic tile and it looks fabulous. If your house floods, vinyl plank will collect water underneath (since it floats vs glued down) and you will have to take it up, dry it off and put it back down. Ceramic on the other hand, you just mop it off and its as good as new.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:51 PM

482 posts, read 419,379 times
Quote:
Anyway, we're going to start working with a realtor soon, but we like to do our own homework and not just be reliant upon the realtor.
Why not? That is their job after all.....

Old 05-11-2020, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
Why not? That is their job after all.....
Because today a buyer works WITH a realtor meaning both parties do the work together as well as independently to find properties. The last three houses we purchased we found. That's not to say our realtors were sitting back doing nothing. It's a collaborative effort. And it has to be if time is of the essence and/or it's a fast-moving market.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:12 PM

Quote:

Ideally, we're looking for a mid century modern 3BR, 2 BA house with a pool or room to build one for under $400K. ...

From browsing real estate sales from the past three years, the good news is, the kind of place we're looking for does still seem to exist in Jax. ...

Anyway, we're going to start working with a realtor soon, but we like to do our own homework and not just be reliant upon the realtor. ...
When you do choose a realtor, ask to be set up on flexmls. This will give you access to properties on the MLS and more up-to-date status of the properties. You can also set up preferred sorts and settings, and get alerts when a property that meets your criteria comes onto the market.

Old 05-11-2020, 08:13 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,517,459 times
My daughter lived in a beautiful neighborhood west of St. Augustine and the World of Golf--about 6 miles off the interstate. The area had modern homes, and absolutely beautiful landscaping that was maintained by the HOA.

I would much better live in such a community, as the home prices in the burbs are often very, very good. Only problem I see with Florida are some property taxes and HOA dues are more than I want to pay.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawipafl View Post
When you do choose a realtor, ask to be set up on flexmls. This will give you access to properties on the MLS and more up-to-date status of the properties. You can also set up preferred sorts and settings, and get alerts when a property that meets your criteria comes onto the market.

Thanks, we've done that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville