U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2020, 04:48 PM

3,899 posts, read 2,121,643 times

Advertisements

Nocatee will have over 12,500 homes when its done plus over 500 apartments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 02:41 PM

232 posts, read 169,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Nocatee will have over 12,500 homes when its done plus over 500 apartments.

Well if that's the case Thundarr I hope the planning board made appropriate provisions for traffic, medical facilities, shopping, ect.

We saw there was a lot of building all throughout the area and were concerned when all is said and done if the roadways would be able to handle it all. I understand now there is another large community in the planning stages. Silver Leaf (?) I believe.

Old 06-13-2020, 03:23 PM

3,899 posts, read 2,121,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Well if that's the case Thundarr I hope the planning board made appropriate provisions for traffic, medical facilities, shopping, ect.

We saw there was a lot of building all throughout the area and were concerned when all is said and done if the roadways would be able to handle it all. I understand now there is another large community in the planning stages. Silver Leaf (?) I believe.
I think they are overbuilding and the area won't be able to handle it. There is not an unlimited market out there. The schools are overcrowded and once all these communities come online it will be gridlock.

Old 06-14-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
I think they are overbuilding and the area won't be able to handle it. There is not an unlimited market out there. The schools are overcrowded and once all these communities come online it will be gridlock.
Coming from NY I know how poor planning can kill off an area. I hope that doesn't happen in St Johns.

Old 06-15-2020, 06:02 AM

5,330 posts, read 3,750,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextExit40Miles View Post
Coming from NY I know how poor planning can kill off an area. I hope that doesn't happen in St Johns.
It is more or less inevitable at this point. There is not anywhere near the infrastructure, schools, retail, employment, etc. to handle this insane level of development in our area. Silverleaf will be on par with Nocatee and that will feed directly to CR 210, which is already becoming the new Blanding Blvd (minus, you know, the stores). And it's not like this is going to stop with Silverleaf, there are dozens of other parcels already planned for more housing.

On the corner of St Johns Pkwy and Race Track Rd there is a new strip mall.....great, right?!? Well, thus far it's made up of the following:

1. Self Storage (that looks like Shawshank Prison)
2. Nail Salon
3. Eyebrow Threading Salon (not even sure WTH that is)
4. Gas station
5. Some italian ice cream store

It is clear to me that these developers and the County Commissioners simply do not care to be thoughtful when it comes to growth. This garbage strip mall is a great example of the junk that continues to come to our area.

Old 06-16-2020, 10:35 AM

385 posts, read 298,685 times
It's the new South Florida. The southern charm slowly eroding away caused by people seeking southern charm.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
It is more or less inevitable at this point. There is not anywhere near the infrastructure, schools, retail, employment, etc. to handle this insane level of development in our area. Silverleaf will be on par with Nocatee and that will feed directly to CR 210, which is already becoming the new Blanding Blvd (minus, you know, the stores). And it's not like this is going to stop with Silverleaf, there are dozens of other parcels already planned for more housing.

On the corner of St Johns Pkwy and Race Track Rd there is a new strip mall.....great, right?!? Well, thus far it's made up of the following:

1. Self Storage (that looks like Shawshank Prison)
2. Nail Salon
3. Eyebrow Threading Salon (not even sure WTH that is)
4. Gas station
5. Some italian ice cream store

It is clear to me that these developers and the County Commissioners simply do not care to be thoughtful when it comes to growth. This garbage strip mall is a great example of the junk that continues to come to our area.
Tell me, is there no push back from the community ? I find it hard to believe people who moved to SJ to get away from such things would just sit back and allow this to happen again.

I looked at that location on google maps and found an older street view image from May 2019 of cleared land on the south east corner of St Johns Pkwy and Race Track Rd parceled out by Cantrell & Morgan. I agree with your assertion that there is a lack of thoughtfulness as the Durbin Pavilion is less than 2 miles and 6 minutes away. Given that and the types of businesses there it is pointless.

Not that I'd say it would happen down there, but up here they overbuilt in certain areas to the point were we now have abandoned strip malls with new strip malls built right next to them. Just unbelievable. Yet we seem to vote the same incompetent politicians back in time and time again.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
It's the new South Florida. The southern charm slowly eroding away caused by people seeking southern charm.
I hope not, as we are pretty much set on making SJ our home.
We looked at many areas along the east coast and SJ IOHO far and away outclassed them all.

Old 06-17-2020, 07:18 AM

5,330 posts, read 3,750,238 times
I hear a LOT of grumbling on social media from current residents; however, we are more or less powerless to control the development other than voting Commissioners out, which is exceedingly hard to do as there are few candidates.

1st - these developers can sell/lease space to whomever they please. So if a nail salon or self storage facility wants to pay them to lease out space (or purchase the land outright), they're going to take their money.

2nd - as was recently highlighted in the article below, many of these developers are contributing heavily to the election campaigns of the very County Commissioners who are charged with assessing and approving such developments. Can you say conflict of interest?

https://www.staugustine.com/news/202...mmission-races

With the last election, there was one candidate running for Commissioner who ran on the promise of less and more thoughtful development, but he ran as an Independent and many folks here vote a straight Republican ticket. It's likely going to take voting all these current Commissioners out to send a message that we're tired of the excessive growth. Will it happen is the big question.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Can you say conflict of interest?
I'd say conflict of interest would be an understatement. I couldn't believe what I read in the article. And apparently this is all legal (?)

What I found most offensive were condescending statements like this.

Quote:
Dean said that he hasn’t turned down a campaign contribution from a developer, but the money doesn’t influence his decision making, he said.

Waldron said... donations from developers don’t influence him or the way he looks at a project.
Over half of Dean's contributions are from developers or related businesses. Are we really supposed to believe they are contributing thousands of dollars and not expecting something in return ? I'd like to see an investigative report on the proportion of developers who donated and got contracts as opposed to those who did not donate and received no contract.

Well, that's what elections a for. Three seats are up for grabs, do the right thing SJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville