U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2020, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 307 times

Advertisements

I've been looking at alot of homes on the market and I see decent looking new home construction with one major flaw, the kitchen. Every single builder in every single community I've looked at (Mandarin, Southside, St.Johns, Nocatee) all have the same identical kitchen that I hate and it's my number 1 thing I look at first in a home.

Specifically, they all have the same giant flat kitchen island with a sink. I love an island but one that I can actually work on and a sink ruins that. Second, all your drying pots and pans are out in the open. Anyway that's my opinion.

My question is, are any builders in these areas flexible with different kitchen layouts/construction. Or is it just the finishes (countertops, color, etc) that you have an option with. Are any willing to not build out the kitchen at all and leave it up to a 3rd party contractor?

I'm not really serious into buying right now to really go around and talking to salesman just curious, maybe semi-serious in the next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2020, 12:45 PM

112 posts, read 229,094 times
That was one of the big issues we faced when looking to build a home here. Another one was the lack of direct sunlight in the kitchen and family room mainly due to the covered lanai blocking out all the light. We ended up designing our own, buying a lot and having it built. Our sink is under a window, the 8 ft island is all prep and eating space and we have tons of glorious sunlight!

David Weekley did have some designs with no sink in the island. Check out their floor plans. Most of the builders will not modify their plans especially in a sellers market. If the market slows down they might be more willing to make changes. You could check out some custom builders if your budget allows. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2020, 02:33 PM

118 posts, read 28,039 times
You might want to ask on houzz.com for some additional thoughts.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/kitchens

Old 06-21-2020, 08:10 PM

4,439 posts, read 13,118,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyHabSalsa View Post
I've been looking at alot of homes on the market and I see decent looking new home construction with one major flaw, the kitchen. Every single builder in every single community I've looked at (Mandarin, Southside, St.Johns, Nocatee) all have the same identical kitchen that I hate and it's my number 1 thing I look at first in a home.

Specifically, they all have the same giant flat kitchen island with a sink. I love an island but one that I can actually work on and a sink ruins that. Second, all your drying pots and pans are out in the open. Anyway that's my opinion.

My question is, are any builders in these areas flexible with different kitchen layouts/construction. Or is it just the finishes (countertops, color, etc) that you have an option with. Are any willing to not build out the kitchen at all and leave it up to a 3rd party contractor?

I'm not really serious into buying right now to really go around and talking to salesman just curious, maybe semi-serious in the next year.
Last year we were intending to build and found the same dilemma, that kitchen layouts were not our style at all. I do think there are some builders willing to customize to some degree, like moving a sink out of an island and putting it elsewhere. You really wouldn't be changing the kitchen footprint, just a redirection of plumbing (including venting) a few feet away. I think it all depends upon the community/neighborhood being built and the builders involved. If it's a development by one builder maybe there's less flexibility because a buyer is a "captive audience". If it's a development in which there are a few different builders, thus competition for your money, maybe there might be more customization allowed.

The builder we chose had a section on its website about custom builds. That gave us a clue that they might be less rigid with their stock plans and allow a few changes in the kitchen. They did. At a cost of course specially for re-engineering the plans.

(End note: we actually bought an existing house and didn't build even though we were at the point of choosing details like cabinetry and flooring prior to the start of the build. We had rearranged the kitchen to make it more in keeping with our style ... fortunately we had not reached the blueprint stage, so no re-design costs.)

Old 06-23-2020, 03:08 PM

94 posts, read 24,754 times
The kitchen feature that I see a lot in listings and I can't stand is the combination microwave / fan over the stove.

I don't want to be reaching over a hot stove for something in the microwave and I want a powerful **real** exhaust fan for cooking.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

2 posts, read 307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier1962 View Post
The kitchen feature that I see a lot in listings and I can't stand is the combination microwave / fan over the stove.

I don't want to be reaching over a hot stove for something in the microwave and I want a powerful **real** exhaust fan for cooking.
Yes, 100% this. I rarely use the microwave to begin with. I like the wall over microwave combo which leaves above the range for the exhaust fan and below for big drawer for pans and stuff.

I just want a big empty island, a fan and a gas stove. That ticks like 50% of what I'm looking for in a house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or