U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2020, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 496 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to relocate to the St. Augustine area from NY. Unfortunately with the virus we are unable to come down with the 2 week quarantine currently in place. I've been researching a lot and Beacon Lake, Silver Leaf, and Palencia seem like good home communities for us. I'd like to be closer to the beach. High schools are important also and have been researching Nease.
I have older high school aged girls, do any of these communities tend to have older kids?
I like the Mattamy Homes floor plans at Beacon Lake, are they a good builder?
Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2020, 06:41 AM

727 posts, read 438,953 times
North St. John's County is not really St. Augustine (As Such). Even Palencia is debatable. St. Augustine Real is really quite small.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:16 PM

232 posts, read 169,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinneg802 View Post

Here's a good place to start. In particular see post #4.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...rs-2020-a.html

We're also from NY. Good luck.

Old 06-20-2020, 08:05 PM

2,103 posts, read 3,181,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corinneg802 View Post
Hi, I'm looking to relocate to the St. Augustine area from NY. Unfortunately with the virus we are unable to come down with the 2 week quarantine currently in place. I've been researching a lot and Beacon Lake, Silver Leaf, and Palencia seem like good home communities for us. I'd like to be closer to the beach. High schools are important also and have been researching Nease.
I have older high school aged girls, do any of these communities tend to have older kids?
Thank you for your help!
The pictures you see in the post I am linking here are of Mattamy Homes in Beacon Lakes. You can make your own conclusions from that:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...me-buyers.html

SS

Old 07-01-2020, 07:21 AM

4 posts, read 714 times
All of those are in my neck of the woods, and a good 30 minutes or more from the beach; I wouldn't consider them close to the beach. Check out Nocatee: https://www.nocatee.com/. Many builders to choose from, huge master planned community with many neighborhoods at different price points, and closer to the beach. It can get pricey with HOA fees, but it's comparable to Palencia.

There's also Beachwalk: https://beachwalkstjohnscounty.com/neighborhoods/. It's more or less across the street from Beacon Lake and comparable in pricing to Nocatee and Palencia (maybe a little higher). The bonus there is the crystal lagoon, if you're not feeling up to the drive to the actual beach, finding parking, etc.

NW St Johns County is going to be a nightmare in the next few years with new development. If you don't mind congestion and feeling like you're living in the middle of a shopping center, then it's great. But if you're looking for something more peaceful, this area isn't it unfortunately - one of the reasons I'm looking to leave.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:06 PM

10 posts, read 6,234 times
We just bought a 4 year old Mattamy Home in Saint Johns about a month ago. Our roof started leaking over our garage a few weeks after we moved in. We called a roofer and it turns out our roof was not built the right way. We contacted Mattamy because we thought maybe they'd like to know that they're not building roofs right, but they could care less - said there was only a 1 year warranty on the roof so not their problem that it wasn't installed correctly in the first place and was destined to have problems down the road. I love our house, but definitely not impressed with our first dealing with Mattamy - they don't seem to care about standing behind their work. My husband went into the model home on our street first to ask about what we should do and the person there acted like of course Mattamy would compensate us for the roof work and make things right because that sort of lack of quality was unacceptable, but turns out Mattamy doesn't care. I think a builder should care whether they are putting roofs on right or not. So please be careful. Maybe have inspectors there all through the roof installation to make sure it's being done properly if you're doing new construction. New construction wasn't possible for us right now and it wasn't something that our home inspector could see once the shingles were on, etc. so just leaves us on the hook for shoddy work. I realize that making posts like these might drive my property value down, but moving was such a pain that I don't plan to do again for as long as possible and I think people should know when companies don't stand behind their work.

Old 07-10-2020, 08:48 AM

7 posts, read 644 times
DH and I are thinking of downsizing next year as our kids are 18+ now and only one will be coming home during college breaks. We currently live in a WGV area community (14 years) and are open to many areas, I teach in Duval and hubby works from home/travels and schools not req'd. We have been driving thru many communities the last few months during COVID lockdown just to get ideas. We are looking for a more upscale neighborhood with a strong HOA that enforces boats, yards, etc. We went thru Bannon Lakes yesterday and it seems like a OK neighborhood but many home/yards already in disarray. I counted a minimum dozen houses sporting political signs in the front yard - IMO very tacky look for a community. All the lakes were at least 10' below and looked terrible.

Old Today, 12:08 PM

16 posts, read 6,837 times
I live in Palencia. I can tell you its 25 minutes from the beach and old St Augustine. CDD fees are high $4200 per year total. Ammenities include health club, 3 pools, tennis courts / pickleball / Boardwalk to the Tolomato. Gated neighborhood. Retail at the entrance includes Publix, several restaurants Mexican, Irish Sports Bar, Chinese, Ice Cream, Pizza. Liquor Store, Cleaners, Starbucks.

The nice thing about Palencia is the windy streets with mature tree cover. Doesn't make it seem so much like a development.

Of those mentioned in your post I think its the most south neighborhood putting you 15min closer to the St Aug beaches like Vilano Beach and the old tourist town.

Old Today, 06:08 PM

15 posts, read 23,503 times
There is a new high school being built on International Golf Parkway in the World Golf Village area. Scheduled to open next year. I would find the house you like best and not worry about distance to the beach. You'll be in the house everyday and going to the beach way less than you expected to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville