Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 9,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
Is Orange Park not a good area?
not sure what Florida2014 was referring to but i've lived in op my whole life and have never had an issue. lack of restaurants and entertainment would be my only negatives about op.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2020, 06:59 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Some people might like OP. Personally, I find even traveling through that area absolutely maddening. There are nice pockets in OP but overall that is not an area I would ever consider calling home, given other options like Fleming Island, St Johns, St Augustine, etc.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:25 AM

5 posts, read 6,418 times
Quote:
Not really. Congestion and traffic are out of control, high crime rate, and it's where strip malls go to die.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:43 AM

i think people who don't come from around orange park have bad ideas about the area. yes city limits of op and areas like meadowbrook are not great. ridewood and lakeside are great areas to live. crime rate has never been an issue in 32 years ive lived here. Yes all strip malls are dying so whats the point of that comment? traffic is terrible every where. do you drive out of fleming to go to jax during work hours traffic sucks. have you left southside to go to middleburg traffic sucks. and dear god any holiday near the beaches is a nightmare. there are very few truly horrific areas around us, we need to stop saying bad things about our area. ive lived all over and there are very few times i have an issue with the people around me. Everyone craps on us guys so lets keep up the positivity of our region.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:19 AM

266 posts, read 261,732 times
I lived in Jacksonville for over 10 years and went to Orange Park a lot (OP mall, had friends who lived there and friends in Middleburg).

The traffic on Blanding Blvd. (main traffic corridor to get to anywhere in Orange Park) is absolutely horrible all day every day and there is even a considerable amount of traffic at night. The hundreds of lights do not help, either. Blanding is a nightmare.

I would only move to a place in that larger area where I have alternatives to Blanding Blvd. Otherwise, plan on being stuck on Blanding all the time.

Old 07-07-2020, 11:05 AM

9,381 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchap1987 View Post
i think people who don't come from around orange park have bad ideas about the area. yes city limits of op and areas like meadowbrook are not great. ridewood and lakeside are great areas to live. crime rate has never been an issue in 32 years ive lived here. Yes all strip malls are dying so whats the point of that comment? traffic is terrible every where. do you drive out of fleming to go to jax during work hours traffic sucks. have you left southside to go to middleburg traffic sucks. and dear god any holiday near the beaches is a nightmare. there are very few truly horrific areas around us, we need to stop saying bad things about our area. ive lived all over and there are very few times i have an issue with the people around me. Everyone craps on us guys so lets keep up the positivity of our region.
I was being as positive as I could about OP. If I'm being honest, it's my personal Hell. I wouldn't choose to live so far inland in such a highly congested area with high crime, lower performing schools and as mentioned, traffic that would cut my life short by 10 years. Maybe if you lived in a nice pocket and maybe if you worked from home and didn't have to commute.......maaaaaybe you could get away with it. But no....just not my cup o' tea by any stretch.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:08 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,078,593 times
Given the choice between OP and Middleburg, which would be the better option for a young family? Not factoring in work commute to Jax.

Old 07-07-2020, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Given the choice between OP and Middleburg, which would be the better option for a young family? Not factoring in work commute to Jax.
I moved from op to middleburg. factoring out work commute I love middleburg more due to having more land and less people around me. we are about to have kids so I cant say much about family friendly things but I would say its obviously lacking in food and entertainment choices unless you like the outdoors.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:05 PM

40 posts, read 48,214 times
Fleming Island is in Clay County. The county seat is Green Cove Springs. I would do some research on the county. We lived there for 16 years, both in Orange Park and Fleming Island. The politics are very conservative and very religious. Clay County elects their school superintendent and most are elected in the August primary as they seldom have any opposition. This is just FYI as I no longer have any connection there as we moved back to NY in 2013, but still keep in touch with some friends there and nothing has changed in that area. I don't know how the job market is there now if you need employment, but many people drive that terrible commute into Jacksonville for work. So my only real advice is to do your homework and read some of the local papers online. Clay Today and Jacksonville.com are both available online. Also check your school rankings as they are also available. Good luck. I wouldn't move back there for anything, but that's just me and we did enjoy some of our years there.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:23 AM

18 posts, read 26,306 times
@kprushiek

I just moved to Fleming Island in the last couple months. My wife and I targeted it for many of the same reasons as you, but we haven't been here long enough to confirm everything yet. Also, we largely try to stay home due to Covid, so that isn't ideal for familiarizing with a new city.

We are on the water and do love that aspect. There is a realtor here that is particularly known for waterfront properties in this area. We used him and were very happy. Please send me a private message if you want his information.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville