U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2020, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 8,779 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are relocating to the Jacksonville area from Miami due to work and are trying to avoid the "bad" areas when it comes to renting. With a budget of about $1300-1400, what areas would be a good spot? We prefer a house, but are obviously open to a townhouse/apartment. For reference my new job will be in the St.Nicholas part of town. However, I don't mind living a bit further away and driving a little longer if it means a safer area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM

42 posts, read 32,841 times
What kind of lifestyle are you looking to have? San Marco is practically next door and has a lot to offer but may be right at your budget line. Further out will get you better options for a lower price, but you’ll sacrifice things to do within walking or biking distance.

Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM

7,032 posts, read 7,700,222 times
Yes, insight into what you are seeking will help a lot. San Marco is a great suggestion if that's what you're seeking. Heading south on San Jose Blvd from San Marco also offers all kinds of more traditional suburban options, which might suit you. Then going south and east from St Nicholas leads you to the very broad Southside area, which includes tons of safe options from working class neighborhoods along Beach Blvd to very popular, white collar professional areas around Gate Parkway and SJTC. But those are gonna be mostly apartments and townhouses. Even St Nicholas could be a good option. It is a little spotty, but if you can find a house in your price range along the northern side of Atlantic Blvd then that would be very nice. South of Atlantic will depend on the precise area, but you could potentially find a neighborhood you like there as well.

Again, type of vibe/neighborhood feel will help in pinpointing our recommendations

Old Yesterday, 03:56 PM

8 posts, read 8,779 times
Thanks for the responses. I've lived in the suburbs of Miami my entire life. Most drives to anywhere really interesting like the beach, malls etc are about 30 minutes or less depending. The wife and I are in our 30s and not really into a party scene. While we're more laid-back, we still like having things to do though whether it be going to the park, beach, or shopping.

Old Today, 09:52 AM

7,032 posts, read 7,700,222 times
Ok. So I'll start by saying my pick would 100% be San Marco. It's a very nice streetcar suburb with lots of amenities within walking distance but doesn't feel too busy or dense. You should be able to get a nice, small house in this price range.

Trying to be a bit more suburban-minded, you can look into Miramar, Lakewood, and farther down San Jose Blvd as I mentioned. Your money will stretch a bit more to get a larger home in some of these areas compared to San Marco. Another popular option would be East Arlington. So stay more or less east of Kernan Blvd. This area is newish suburban, and kinda puts you in decent range of both the beaches and work. Also could potentially be very close to the St Johns Town Center which would really cover most of the bases for places you might want to go.

I'd say those general areas make the most sense. Or again, even St Nicholas if you are up north of Atlantic so by the river. I do not know the rental prices there but if you find something those 5-10 blocks or so are quite nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville