U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2020, 09:39 AM

10 posts, read 1,942 times

Advertisements

My partner and I (gay couple in our mid 30's that currently live in South Florida)...are considering a move to Jacksonville (as well as other southeastern cities) to be closer to his family in SC, and in order to be able to afford a single family home. We of course plan on visiting and exploring before making any move, but the covid situation is delaying that a bit.

While i of course understand that there is not going to be any perfect comparisons, I was curious what other american neighborhoods you might compare Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Springfield, etc to?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 06:56 PM

385 posts, read 299,193 times
I'll throw Davis Island (Tampa) out there. At least I think it's called Davis Island...lol. I'm not an avid traveler so that's all I have. Most cities have similar urban areas near downtown that are artsy etc with older homes built in the 20's or 30's with big porches and interior built ins that are mostly original from that era. Ok I'll also throw in St Augustine's Lincolnville (also near downtown).

Old 07-07-2020, 04:35 PM

398 posts, read 168,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob View Post
My partner and I (gay couple in our mid 30's that currently live in South Florida)...are considering a move to Jacksonville (as well as other southeastern cities) to be closer to his family in SC, and in order to be able to afford a single family home. We of course plan on visiting and exploring before making any move, but the covid situation is delaying that a bit.
So....move to SC, or Charlotte? Seems to make more sense.

Old 07-08-2020, 05:55 AM

10 posts, read 1,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon Hills View Post
So....move to SC, or Charlotte? Seems to make more sense.
We will still have family in south florida...so something in between is what we're looking for.

Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM

5,892 posts, read 2,596,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docrob View Post

While i of course understand that there is not going to be any perfect comparisons, I was curious what other american neighborhoods you might compare Riverside, Avondale, San Marco, Springfield, etc to?

Thanks!
Maybe in Tampa Seminole Heights/Tampa Heights/Riverside Heights? I didn’t mention on the other thread, but I think Tampa Heights may be coming up with the development just south of there.... it is reasonable with nice craftsman homes. The last time they tried to bring up the neighborhood, there was a string of fires in the area (this was around in 2000) and it never really took off.

Old 07-11-2020, 09:16 AM

7 posts, read 810 times
I used to work in Springfield. I do not recommend living there.

These areas are mostly historical: Riverside - Avondale - San Marco. Check Ortega and Miramar/SanJose area too.

Reminds me of Coral Gables area of Miami.....most historically built houses have to stay looking original. They don't have the typical FL, tile roof/stucco look though. For the most part they do not allow homes to be razed and mcmansions built.

I teach in Duval County and they are desperately in need of teachers of all areas. SJC/St Augustine is hard to get a job and they tend to let many go at end of year even if you have excellent ratings.

Last edited by screenqueen; 07-11-2020 at 09:31 AM..

Old Today, 08:21 AM

26 posts, read 23,776 times
As someone who lives in Springfield, I would recommend Springfield to anyone who likes urban living and an inclusive neighborhood. Historic homes and new infill. You and your partner will immediately have friends after moving in. Springfield is home to Porchfest. It is walkable and bikeable.
Currently home to multiple breweries like Hyperion, Strings, and Main and Six. Crispy's, Waffa and Mikes, Ola's, Uptown Bar and Grill, The Cookbook, Foxy Lady Cafe, and 1840 Bakehouse are all eclectic and uniques eateries. Opening soon is the District wine bar.
One of the highlights is you can bike or take a golf cart to the sports district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or