Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2020, 01:31 PM

12 posts, read 22,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynplm View Post
I live in a Lennar home and for the most part its pretty good. I do have some complaints though, mainly to do with the microwave over the stove not being a true hood. Be prepared to set of your smoke alarms on the regular. Maybe consider making this change now.
One of our main concerns with Lennar is that they didn't vent to the outside. I'm thinking about getting that installed after moving in (have to check with HOA...). In my old house in Miami, I used an air purifier which worked fairly well, but still on a rare occasion would set off the smoke alarm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 07:27 AM

6,409 posts, read 4,905,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSE1982 View Post
One of our main concerns with Lennar is that they didn't vent to the outside. I'm thinking about getting that installed after moving in (have to check with HOA...). In my old house in Miami, I used an air purifier which worked fairly well, but still on a rare occasion would set off the smoke alarm.
If there is a cabinet above and its on an outside wall maybe you can vent it outside. When we redid our kitchen I made sure we vented the hood outside, otherwise they are useless.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:03 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,080,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSE1982 View Post
Did you have the home built to your specs or was it already spec'd out?

The builders typically charge between $500-700 for this. Some builders have it come standard during the "rough" HVAC phase since that's the easiest time to do it. That's before walls and stucco are put up. It can be done afterwards but you will likely have more labor involved.

If it's a one story home, I doubt the HOA would even see that. But if the HOA opposes that, the only thing seen would be a small covered vent outside, that's not a neighborhood I'd want to live in.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:43 AM

52 posts, read 65,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Here's a link to the full thread. In Miami they use block construction. Up in Jacksonville it's wood, which is a very different animal that requires very different techniques.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/jack...rs-2020-a.html

SS
I was worried about this, have looked at Lennar in Saint Johns and wondered if they were block or wood. We like the home, price and location, though. DR Horton has block homes in Deland that look nice but for some reason I thought they were worse than Lennar. We had Lennar in Texas and loved that home. I tried to find something with Drees but not having any luck.

Anyway, really appreciate your insight, SS.

Old 09-29-2020, 10:29 AM

486 posts, read 516,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonbound15 View Post
I was worried about this, have looked at Lennar in Saint Johns and wondered if they were block or wood. We like the home, price and location, though. DR Horton has block homes in Deland that look nice but for some reason I thought they were worse than Lennar. We had Lennar in Texas and loved that home. I tried to find something with Drees but not having any luck.

Anyway, really appreciate your insight, SS.
I dont think Lennar is building block homes in St Johns, not too many builders outside of custom builds and one community of Maronda homes down in Treaty oaks are building block here(and only the 1st floor there). Most of the newer block construction you will find will be beachfront, with the prices to match. Futher down the coast you will find block more prevalent, I know when we looked at Brevard county(Space Coast) most were block, but they get hurricanes pretty regularly there.

Having lived and had a home built by DR Horton in Houston, as well as helped a friend buy a Lennar one there, you cannot compare the two states. The code in NE Florida is much more strict than Houston. They actually make even wood homes hurricane resistant. I think most of St Johns, Duval, and Nassau counties need to be rated up to a Category 3 Hurricane, with the SE part of St Johns needing to be Cat 4. I am sure someone could confirm that.

We walked a couple DR Horton homes here in Florida, and the framing of the houses was much better than our home in The Woodlands area.

Old 09-30-2020, 04:53 AM

52 posts, read 65,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I dont think Lennar is building block homes in St Johns, not too many builders outside of custom builds and one community of Maronda homes down in Treaty oaks are building block here(and only the 1st floor there). Most of the newer block construction you will find will be beachfront, with the prices to match. Futher down the coast you will find block more prevalent, I know when we looked at Brevard county(Space Coast) most were block, but they get hurricanes pretty regularly there.

Having lived and had a home built by DR Horton in Houston, as well as helped a friend buy a Lennar one there, you cannot compare the two states. The code in NE Florida is much more strict than Houston. They actually make even wood homes hurricane resistant. I think most of St Johns, Duval, and Nassau counties need to be rated up to a Category 3 Hurricane, with the SE part of St Johns needing to be Cat 4. I am sure someone could confirm that.

We walked a couple DR Horton homes here in Florida, and the framing of the houses was much better than our home in The Woodlands area.

This is a fair point on code by state, and I appreciate that, thanks. We just sold our house in Tomball, not far from The Woodlands. Loved the home, just not crazy about TX. So we returned to Florida, we lived here about 20+ years, but closer to Orlando. Now looking further north and Deland as they seem to be nice areas. Living closer to water makes me a bit nervous, though. There are communities by the St Johns River that we are checking out today, but some parts shows as zone x. Guess we can do as much due diligence as possible, but there is always risk of something. Have a great day.

Old 10-13-2020, 10:28 AM

2,415 posts, read 4,244,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynplm View Post
I live in a Lennar home and for the most part its pretty good. I do have some complaints though, mainly to do with the microwave over the stove not being a true hood. Be prepared to set of your smoke alarms on the regular. Maybe consider making this change now.
Maybe you just need to learn how to cook better and quit burning the food.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville