U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-27-2020, 11:38 AM
 
Location: the other side of the tracks
93 posts, read 24,370 times
Reputation: 103

Advertisements

don't know if anyone mentioned "Isle of Palms" neighborhood to you. It is older but right next to the intracoastal waterway, south of Beach Blvd (route 90). on the westside of the intracoastal waterway. There are many homes in that neighborhood that have docks right in their backyard as canals were dredged when the property was originally developed a long time ago. Also check out "Intracoastal West" which is primarily between Atlantic Blvd (route 10) and Beach Blvd and east of San Pablo Rd. and west of the intracoastal of course. No matter where you choose Jacksonville has many public boat ramps that are used regularly by all of the boating community. Great way to spend lazy days, either cruising on the St. Johns river or the Intracoastal Waterway. Lots of choices and just about all the neighborhoods near the water are generally safe. Next year let us know which neighborhood you selected.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-30-2020, 09:45 PM
 
95 posts, read 39,624 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech Sr. View Post
don't know if anyone mentioned "Isle of Palms" neighborhood to you. It is older but right next to the intracoastal waterway, south of Beach Blvd (route 90). on the westside of the intracoastal waterway. There are many homes in that neighborhood that have docks right in their backyard as canals were dredged when the property was originally developed a long time ago. Also check out "Intracoastal West" which is primarily between Atlantic Blvd (route 10) and Beach Blvd and east of San Pablo Rd. and west of the intracoastal of course. No matter where you choose Jacksonville has many public boat ramps that are used regularly by all of the boating community. Great way to spend lazy days, either cruising on the St. Johns river or the Intracoastal Waterway. Lots of choices and just about all the neighborhoods near the water are generally safe. Next year let us know which neighborhood you selected.
Thank you!! The Isle of Palms looks really appealing, we will check it out. We’ll also check out the Intracoastal West. Thanks a ton for this info!! Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2020, 12:52 AM
 
Location: Fleming Island
8 posts, read 4,272 times
Reputation: 23
I think the first choice you have to make is which body of water you want to live on. Living on the ocean is very different from living on the St. Johns River. I don't know all of the areas on the intercoastal, but you will probably have some of the same issues living on the intercoastal as you would on the ocean. You will have more maintenance on many aspects of your house due to the salt. It is a very different life than on the River (I lived on the ocean for a year before moving to the River). Living near the ocean will be much more expensive (but does have its pluses).

As far as the comparison between St. Johns County and Fleming Island be careful what you read on here. I think many of the posters here are unfamiliar with Fleming Island. If you look at a map, the road access from the other side of the river is to the north in Orange Park and to the south in Green Cove. It is not easy to go from NW St. Johns County to Fleming Island and there is not a lot of reason to (both have most of the stores you want/need).

The schools in the northern part of St. Johns County are excellent, and as you go further south that is less true. In Clay County, the schools are generally more similar to southern St. Johns County (somewhat average). However, the schools in Fleming Island are considered excellent.

When I moved here, I almost bought in St. Johns County and studied the schools in some detail. I think the schools in NW St. Johns County have an edge over Fleming Island, but the difference is slight. I think I saw an opinion that St. Johns County schools are vastly superior to Fleming Island. That is a bizarre opinion. The difference between Fleming Island and St. Johns is almost negligible (and if you look at some outside factors, Fleming Island schools are probably better positioned for long-term success). My best guess is the person was confusing Fleming Island and Orange Park.

Be careful about some of the things you read about Fleming Island here. I think someone also mentioned traffic on Blanding Blvd when discussing Fleming Island. As someone who lives here, it is very clear that person doesn't know anything about Fleming Island. Blanding Blvd is in Orange Park and has issues. But it is a very different area from Fleming Island.

NW St. Johns County is a very fine place to live. But there is a somewhat bizarre reverence of it on this forum. The schools are indeed excellent. But it has very significant "development" issues. What will that area look like in 10, 20 30 years? You won't find that at Fleming Island. Fleming also has its issues. But I strongly suspect people in NW St. Johns County who are critical of Fleming Island know very little about Fleming and are instead talking about Orange Park. I would simply say when you visit (as I believe you are planning to), just take some time to drive around both and see what you like. There are reasons to prefer each (NW St. Johns County or Fleming Island). To me, Fleming Island is far and away better. I would not pay attention to negative opinions about Orange Park that are directed to Fleming (inferior schools or traffic on Blanding). But you need to see what you prefer.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2020, 02:14 PM
 
95 posts, read 39,624 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoriole View Post
I think the first choice you have to make is which body of water you want to live on. Living on the ocean is very different from living on the St. Johns River. I don't know all of the areas on the intercoastal, but you will probably have some of the same issues living on the intercoastal as you would on the ocean. You will have more maintenance on many aspects of your house due to the salt. It is a very different life than on the River (I lived on the ocean for a year before moving to the River). Living near the ocean will be much more expensive (but does have its pluses).

As far as the comparison between St. Johns County and Fleming Island be careful what you read on here. I think many of the posters here are unfamiliar with Fleming Island. If you look at a map, the road access from the other side of the river is to the north in Orange Park and to the south in Green Cove. It is not easy to go from NW St. Johns County to Fleming Island and there is not a lot of reason to (both have most of the stores you want/need).

The schools in the northern part of St. Johns County are excellent, and as you go further south that is less true. In Clay County, the schools are generally more similar to southern St. Johns County (somewhat average). However, the schools in Fleming Island are considered excellent.

When I moved here, I almost bought in St. Johns County and studied the schools in some detail. I think the schools in NW St. Johns County have an edge over Fleming Island, but the difference is slight. I think I saw an opinion that St. Johns County schools are vastly superior to Fleming Island. That is a bizarre opinion. The difference between Fleming Island and St. Johns is almost negligible (and if you look at some outside factors, Fleming Island schools are probably better positioned for long-term success). My best guess is the person was confusing Fleming Island and Orange Park.

Be careful about some of the things you read about Fleming Island here. I think someone also mentioned traffic on Blanding Blvd when discussing Fleming Island. As someone who lives here, it is very clear that person doesn't know anything about Fleming Island. Blanding Blvd is in Orange Park and has issues. But it is a very different area from Fleming Island.

NW St. Johns County is a very fine place to live. But there is a somewhat bizarre reverence of it on this forum. The schools are indeed excellent. But it has very significant "development" issues. What will that area look like in 10, 20 30 years? You won't find that at Fleming Island. Fleming also has its issues. But I strongly suspect people in NW St. Johns County who are critical of Fleming Island know very little about Fleming and are instead talking about Orange Park. I would simply say when you visit (as I believe you are planning to), just take some time to drive around both and see what you like. There are reasons to prefer each (NW St. Johns County or Fleming Island). To me, Fleming Island is far and away better. I would not pay attention to negative opinions about Orange Park that are directed to Fleming (inferior schools or traffic on Blanding). But you need to see what you prefer.

Thanks for sending this, you’ve given me some great info!! We will definitely check out Fleming Island and St. John’s County. Did you prefer living on the ocean or the river? What are you favorite cities near Jacksonville? Thanks for the help!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2020, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Fleming Island
8 posts, read 4,272 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kprushiek View Post
Thanks for sending this, you’ve given me some great info!! We will definitely check out Fleming Island and St. John’s County. Did you prefer living on the ocean or the river? What are you favorite cities near Jacksonville? Thanks for the help!!!
I prefer the River long-term. I rented on the ocean for a year because I could and it was a good experience. But when you are right on the ocean, the salt kills everything. Also, you are probably going to be more at risk to hurricanes (though if you look up historical data on hurricanes, Jacksonville has done better than most of the southern east coast with respect to hurricanes). So being on the ocean is going to be much more expensive in general and you are going to have a lot more in maintenance costs. It's pretty cool if you can afford it though.

As far as other cities, the previously discussed Fleming Island and NW St. Johns County are musts. I would also consider these neighborhoods in Jax along the river: Mandarin (just north of NW St. Johns County), Riverside, and San Marco. The Jacksonville neighborhoods will be more expensive than the suburbs (Fleming Island and NW St. Johns County), but it is worth it to see the neighborhoods. Riverside and San Marco have some walkable areas that have shops and local restaurants. You see much less of that (if any) in the suburbs.

Also, it is probably worth it to drive down A1A from Atlantic Beach down to Ponte Vedra. That will give you a feel for the oceanfront areas.

Overall, the Duval County schools do not rate very well. However, they have some magnet programs that look very strong. I do not know how hard it is to get into those programs, but if you like any of the areas in Duval (Duval County includes all of Jacksonville which includes all of the places I have mentioned except Fleming Island (Clay), NW St. Johns and Ponte Vedra (St. Johns County)), the magnet schools are worth looking into.

If you are coming all the way here, you may also want to save some time for St. Augustine. It may be a fun touristy excursion.

Finally, I don't recall if you were planning to rent temporarily, but I did that for a year before buying. I wanted to just buy first (also from long distance), but enough people told me to rent to scout out the areas and then buy. That is probably the best way to do it, although two moves are a pain. It is nice to be able to just go see properties that you are interested in and get a feel for what is important to you. That can change as you look at more properties.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-01-2020, 08:54 PM
 
6 posts, read 9,500 times
Reputation: 10
As someone who is also looking in this area (as well as St Augustine - I think), this is SO HELPFUL! Thank you for taking your time to share all of this info! You wouldn't happen to know a good, full time realtor would you?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2020, 10:11 AM
 
Location: PVB
4,573 posts, read 2,490,605 times
Reputation: 5087
For those prospective homeowners, its best to spend a few weeks here to scope things out for yourself. What is good for one is not necessarily good for another. We looked at over 100 houses in every area before we settled on our place. We almost bought a house in Jax Golf and Country Club and Deercreek until our Realtor advised us St Johns County was better for resale and even though a house was 15% more expensive there, it was worth it in the long run. Its also significantly cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter which I have personally verified numerous times. For example 92 in St Johns Town Center and 86 here. For me why live in Florida if you can't be close to the ocean. There are lakes and rivers everywhere.

Last edited by Thundarr457; 09-02-2020 at 10:49 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2020, 11:28 AM
 
95 posts, read 39,624 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoriole View Post
I prefer the River long-term. I rented on the ocean for a year because I could and it was a good experience. But when you are right on the ocean, the salt kills everything. Also, you are probably going to be more at risk to hurricanes (though if you look up historical data on hurricanes, Jacksonville has done better than most of the southern east coast with respect to hurricanes). So being on the ocean is going to be much more expensive in general and you are going to have a lot more in maintenance costs. It's pretty cool if you can afford it though.

As far as other cities, the previously discussed Fleming Island and NW St. Johns County are musts. I would also consider these neighborhoods in Jax along the river: Mandarin (just north of NW St. Johns County), Riverside, and San Marco. The Jacksonville neighborhoods will be more expensive than the suburbs (Fleming Island and NW St. Johns County), but it is worth it to see the neighborhoods. Riverside and San Marco have some walkable areas that have shops and local restaurants. You see much less of that (if any) in the suburbs.

Also, it is probably worth it to drive down A1A from Atlantic Beach down to Ponte Vedra. That will give you a feel for the oceanfront areas.

Overall, the Duval County schools do not rate very well. However, they have some magnet programs that look very strong. I do not know how hard it is to get into those programs, but if you like any of the areas in Duval (Duval County includes all of Jacksonville which includes all of the places I have mentioned except Fleming Island (Clay), NW St. Johns and Ponte Vedra (St. Johns County)), the magnet schools are worth looking into.

If you are coming all the way here, you may also want to save some time for St. Augustine. It may be a fun touristy excursion.

Finally, I don't recall if you were planning to rent temporarily, but I did that for a year before buying. I wanted to just buy first (also from long distance), but enough people told me to rent to scout out the areas and then buy. That is probably the best way to do it, although two moves are a pain. It is nice to be able to just go see properties that you are interested in and get a feel for what is important to you. That can change as you look at more properties.

Thank you, this is super helpful again!! I really appreciate it and will look into ALL these areas!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top