Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-02-2008, 10:15 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,000 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

Hello - my family (wife and 2 boys ages 11 & 9) are considering moving to JAX. We currently live in Virginia in a planned development with golf course, swimming pool, etc. Are these types of developments prevalent in JAX? I saw Fleming Island in a few of the posts. Are there others? Looking to spend about $450. Would like to be near to shopping and good schools are required. Any insight would be appreciated.

Last edited by theluggnut; 05-02-2008 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: added specifics for PUD need
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-02-2008, 11:23 PM
 
Location: Jax
8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Reputation: 3441
We have about a million of them !

Yes, they are very prevalent in all of the three main counties here - Duval, St. John's and Clay. NorthEast Florida went through a huge development boom in the last 5 or so years and you can have your pick of developments that you describe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-02-2008, 11:32 PM
 
3 posts, read 7,000 times
Reputation: 11
Smile Julington Creek

As I read through some of the posts, it seems something like Julington Creek is what I am looking for. Can you provide names of others so that I can begin to research?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Jax
8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Reputation: 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by theluggnut View Post
As I read through some of the posts, it seems something like Julington Creek is what I am looking for. Can you provide names of others so that I can begin to research?

Thanks

In Duval county:

Queen's Harbour
The Woods
Deerwood
Jacksonville Golf & Country Club
Pablo Bay
The Sanctuary
Hidden Hills

These are the names I can remember off the top of my head. I'll let others list the Clay and St. John's county planned developments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 AM
 
Location: Black Hammock Island
4,620 posts, read 14,913,558 times
Reputation: 4620
In east Clay there's Eagle Harbor, Fleming Island Plantation, Pace Island (gated) and further south on 17 there's Magnolia Point (gated). In west Clay there's Eagle Landing and Oakleaf Plantation. [This is not a complete list.]

Thinking about your current scenario (kids, pool, golf) and the price range, I'd recommend you look Eagle Harbor, Fleming Island, Eagle Landing, and perhaps Oakleaf.

Welcome To Eagle Harbor Online

Fleming Island Plantation- Homepage

Eagle Landing in Jacksonville, FL

Oakleaf Plantation | Home for your family or OakLeaf Residents : Welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
137 posts, read 393,480 times
Reputation: 58
Default foolish northerner

hey all-
im a northerner (with dreams of moving south) who happened to stumble across this post. im absolutely floored by it. are these communities for real? My house cost over 600K and has zero of the ammenities that these have. Golf, tennis, schools, libraries, athletic facilities all built in? How are these so cheap? Are they really filled with families? I thought only elderly people lived in these!! Please tell me everything!! I want to move tomorrow!!! Also, to the OP where in VA are you? My company has a couple offices in VA, maybe I can move to the house you're leaving!!! haha thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 11:51 AM
 
154 posts, read 643,312 times
Reputation: 80
In St. Johns County:

St. John's Golf and Country Club -- St. Augustine, Florida (broken link)

Hampton Golf Clubs

Julington Creek Plantation - Home Page

Cimarrone Golf Club

World Golf Village Home to the World Golf Hall of Fame

Marsh Creek Country Club

You need to find out where you will be working. For instance, Fleming Island/Eagle Harbor is great but if you are working in Southside the commute is brutal. St. Johns County would be a better choice. At $450k with the housing market right now you should be able to get into most any community except maybe some of the more exclusive ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 02:12 PM
 
60 posts, read 313,019 times
Reputation: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake786 View Post
hey all-
im a northerner (with dreams of moving south) who happened to stumble across this post. im absolutely floored by it. are these communities for real? My house cost over 600K and has zero of the ammenities that these have. Golf, tennis, schools, libraries, athletic facilities all built in? How are these so cheap? Are they really filled with families? I thought only elderly people lived in these!! Please tell me everything!! I want to move tomorrow!!! Also, to the OP where in VA are you? My company has a couple offices in VA, maybe I can move to the house you're leaving!!! haha thanks all
Do a search for CDD communities on this board. You'll see how they do it. Basically, in these large master planned communities a developer finances the infrastructure (roads, common area landscaping, pools, athletic centers, etc...) with bonds. Then, as homeowners purchase, they are charged an annual CDD fee.

The CDD is essentially treated like an extra part of your real estate taxes. The good news in that respect is that it is tax deuctible. A portion of the CDD goes to pay back the bonds (this portion is typically fixed). The rest goes to pay for yearly operation and maintenance costs (this part is typically not fixed).

So, as you can see, there is no "free" lunch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2008, 02:34 PM
 
Location: JAX
353 posts, read 1,141,968 times
Reputation: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmutley View Post

The good news in that respect is that it is tax deuctible..
I know many claim this as deductable, BUT I have 2 different tax people tell 2 of my friends that it is not specifically listed as a tax deducatable item. They recommended not claiming it. MANY people claim it and almost all do it worry free....including my friends who pay them..... BUT if you get audited, be prepared because as far as I can gather, it is not tax deductable. (CDD fee's)

If someone could provide me a link showing me otherwise it would be great....

RR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-08-2008, 01:43 AM
 
Location: Jax
8,200 posts, read 35,333,293 times
Reputation: 3441
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1v3rRat View Post
I know many claim this as deductable, BUT I have 2 different tax people tell 2 of my friends that it is not specifically listed as a tax deducatable item. They recommended not claiming it. MANY people claim it and almost all do it worry free....including my friends who pay them..... BUT if you get audited, be prepared because as far as I can gather, it is not tax deductable. (CDD fee's)

If someone could provide me a link showing me otherwise it would be great....

RR
With as many of these communites as there are in Florida, imagine all the tax money slipping past the IRS !

My HOA fee goes to "infrastructure".....the entrance sign, lighting around the sign, lake fountain....I think I'm going to start taking that deduction !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 AM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top