Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2020, 12:59 PM

51 posts, read 95,531 times

Advertisements

I am looking for advice for a young family looking to move to Ponte Vedra Beach. I have a 7, 9, and 11 year old. We are actually from MD, but have been living in Carlsbad, CA. Carlsbad has been great for the kids with lots of sports, excellent schools, and every outdoor activity you can imagine. We are leaving do to the governor here continuing to keep everything locked down. Kids still have no school or sports. He even closed the beaches and parks for months. Carlsbad is conservative unlike most of CA. I don't like the direction things are going here.

I am not worried about the humidity, but need advice in helping to pick the best area. My research shows me that the schools are amazing in Ponte Vedra. How are the people? Looking to avoid the spoiled, entitled, keep up with the Jones type areas. There is some of that where I am now, but for the most part its great families and kids with good morals and values.

We are also looking at Jupiter, Naples, and Venice. I am also open to other recommendations if someone has one. If any one has advice on any of the above areas it would really be appreciated. We are really looking for this to be our last move and want to put our children in the best possible environment around the best like minded people. Thank you so much.

Last edited by CMgyms; 10-25-2020 at 01:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 07:17 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMgyms View Post
My research shows me that the schools are amazing in Ponte Vedra. How are the people? Looking to avoid the spoiled, entitled, keep up with the Jones type areas. There is some of that where I am now, but for the most part its great families and kids with good morals and values.
What you described for your area is essentially what it's like here in Ponte Vedra Beach (IMO). There'll be pockets of snobs here and there but you're not going to completely avoid that in any location where there's $. Live here long enough and you'll ultimately find people who share similar values to yours. There are plenty of great families with kids that are respectful, polite and well mannered.

We're going on our 6th year here and have no complaints. Ocean Palms Elementary where our son goes to has been awesome (ranked 8th out of 2000+ public elementary schools in the state - PV/PV Rawlings is the other elementary school - ranked 15th in the state). He's in 1st grade and there are 18 kids in the class. Our neighborhood is packed with kids which is similar to how I grew up and I'm extremely grateful that my 6 year old can grow up in that environment.

As far as sports is concerned, there's everything from lacrosse, soccer, baseball, softball, football, basketball, tennis, golf etc. and all are extremely competitive both at the recreation and school level. Participation is high and growing every year. My son plays rec baseball and also advanced travel ball and they do a tremendous job with both. He also went to surf camp this past summer for 6weeks and absolutely loved it. DM/PM me if you have any specific questions.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:25 PM

51 posts, read 95,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
What you described for your area is essentially what it's like here in Ponte Vedra Beach (IMO). There'll be pockets of snobs here and there but you're not going to completely avoid that in any location where there's $. Live here long enough and you'll ultimately find people who share similar values to yours. There are plenty of great families with kids that are respectful, polite and well mannered.

We're going on our 6th year here and have no complaints. Ocean Palms Elementary where our son goes to has been awesome (ranked 8th out of 2000+ public elementary schools in the state - PV/PV Rawlings is the other elementary school - ranked 15th in the state). He's in 1st grade and there are 18 kids in the class. Our neighborhood is packed with kids which is similar to how I grew up and I'm extremely grateful that my 6 year old can grow up in that environment.

As far as sports is concerned, there's everything from lacrosse, soccer, baseball, softball, football, basketball, tennis, golf etc. and all are extremely competitive both at the recreation and school level. Participation is high and growing every year. My son plays rec baseball and also advanced travel ball and they do a tremendous job with both. He also went to surf camp this past summer for 6weeks and absolutely loved it. DM/PM me if you have any specific questions.
This sounds perfect. I'll be checking it out this week. Have you been to Venice or Jupiter? They also seem to have great schools.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
This sounds perfect. I'll be checking it out this week. Have you been to Venice or Jupiter? They also seem to have great schools.
No, I have not. My wife's dad and step-mom have been here in PVB since 2012 so we came to visit every year during Christmas and The Player's Championship weeks back when it was played in May (now March). Seemed like a great place so we took the leap in 2015.

There's another thread where a poster says PVB is boring and wouldn't recommend unless you play golf but I'm assuming that person is single with no kids wanting a nightlife. Yea, for that guy or gal it's probably not a good place and s/he's better off in JB/NB/AB etc.. Trust me, there's plenty to do here especially for families with young kids.

Old 10-27-2020, 07:44 AM

1,082 posts, read 832,724 times
*likes this thread*

I am originally from Oceanside, CA and we moved out last year for the last time. I am really sad and glad at the same time. It was before the COVID BS, but we saw the writing on the wall with Newsome. That group of political idiots are an 80+ year mafia that have worked to destroy California and they have done a really good job of it.

Anyways, I am responding to your question about Jupiter. It's a very nice area and the water quality of the ocean is beautiful. I was there in the early 2000s and it was a decent place to be. Good people, good eats, stuff to do, and clean. I don't know about now, but it might be worth checking into further. We ended up in Texas where my wife's family is and we kinda wanna be back near the water. Also, EVERYONE is moving to Texas it seems and we'd like to get away from that. FL is a heavy consideration at this point, either in JAX Beach or the Central Coast.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:32 PM

55 posts, read 68,104 times
Quote:
...We are leaving do to the governor here continuing to keep everything locked down...

Be careful what you wish for, Covid rates are higher here as a % of the population for a reason. DeSantis' response to this has been pretty terrible.

Old 10-29-2020, 11:39 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,243,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynplm View Post
Be careful what you wish for, Covid rates are higher here as a % of the population for a reason. DeSantis' response to this has been pretty terrible.
People like you, are the reason people like them, move here to get away from people like that. DeSantis' response has been stellar. There is nothing one man can do to completely contain the spread of a virus amongst a population, especially one in Florida where the people crave being out and about. To think otherwise is simply delusional.

SS

Old 10-30-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
People like you, are the reason people like them, move here to get away from people like that. DeSantis' response has been stellar. There is nothing one man can do to completely contain the spread of a virus amongst a population, especially one in Florida where the people crave being out and about. To think otherwise is simply delusional.

SS
100% agree. DeSantis has done a great job and my liberal wife will tell you the same. Do your best to be careful, wear masks and don't be stupid. To OP's point, I know number of families that recently moved here due to lock downs in NJ, NY etc.. They were sick of seeing their kids not playing sports, not going to school etc.. I really do appreciate what St. Johns county school district is doing to keep the kids safe and more importantly keep the schools open.

Old 10-30-2020, 11:24 AM

55 posts, read 68,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post

SS
As someone with high-risk people in my family, I respectfully disagree.

Old 11-13-2020, 09:03 PM

1,675 posts, read 2,787,563 times
I'm familiar with all these areas. I think you would like Ponte Vedra Beach / Ponte Vedra the best. It has a younger population (many young families), excellent schools, tons of sports opportunities.

Jupiter is very nice, but has a different vibe. The superrich own homes there (Tiger Woods etc) and have yachts. Beaches and parks are nice but it's a busy area (as is all of south florida), esp during tourist season. Naples feels older - many 65-80+ wealthy residents. Also very busy during tourist season. PVB has more of a year-round residential population with some uptick during tourist season but not as much. It also feels more "real" for family life. The only not-as-nice factor is going into Jacksonville for various reasons, but most areas east of the river are fine.

I will PM you with a question that I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville