Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 09:41 PM

65 posts, read 256,836 times

Advertisements

Yeah, definitely 32225. I didn't realize it was so big; but I was meaning to specificy Regency/Arlington. She lives about a mile from Regency Mall and it's just not a good place to live, in my opinion.

She actually looked at homes in The Woods and is set to view one in Kensington; I didn't realize that was 32225, as well. Thanks for the correction!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2008, 10:29 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post
[font="Trebuchet MS"]Yeah, definitely 32225. I didn't realize it was so big; but I was meaning to specificy Regency/Arlington. She lives about a mile from Regency Mall and it's just not a good place to live, in my opinion.
I agree, the immediate area right at Regency Mall is not very good .

Old 05-12-2008, 08:01 AM

97 posts, read 404,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toops View Post
If they don't mind "dorm" life, there is a Melrose Student Apartment complex on Kernan Blvd that's close to both FCCJ on Beach and UNF (Mapquest - zoom out one bar to see FCCJ/UNF campus locations). They're about $500 - $600 a month, so much cheaper than apartments. It's in the middle of convenience - there is a Publix and Wal Mart on Atlantic Blvd. (go N to see Kernan & Atlantic intersection) and that area is full of restaurants and shops - plenty of employment opportunity. I don't have any first hand experience living there, so this is all word of mouth that it's a "dorm" style life in that it's mostly younger college kids living there - but that means they'll have great opportunities to make friends and know who they're living with/around, which means it'll also be safer.
Toops - thank you. I checked out the website, but it appears that the rent is +/- $500 per bedroom (2/2 and higher only), so rent for the standard (but spacious) 2 bedroom/2 bathroom unfurnished is +/- $1000. without utilities I'll have to run this by the kids and see if they're open to finding a room-mate or two for the other bedroom. Thanks again!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Here's my first list of apartments that appear to have availability, price, amenities, location, etc.

The Commons on Anniston Road
1721 Anniston Rd.
Jacksonville, FL 32246

[SIZE=3]Ba[/SIZE]nyan Bay
1700 S. San Pablo Road
Jacksonville, FL 32224

Silver Springs
3737 St. Johns Bluff Rd.
Jacksonville, FL 32224

Bermuda Cove
2001 Hodges Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32224

Country Club Lakes
4090 Hodges Boulevard
Jacksonville, FL 32224

Woodhollow Apartment Homes
1715 Hodges Blvd.
Jacksonville, FL 32224

Coquina Bay Apartments
3709 S. San Pablo Rd.
JACKSONVILLE, FL 32224

Thanks for you honest input/opinions/experiences, etc.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:04 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,921 times
I know The Commons off Anniston Road are a good place to live, not too far from my home currently. I am not too familiar with the other complexes, but I do know San Pablo and Hodges are a safe area. I would not recommend Silver Springs, it is a great location, but I have not seen the greatest of people living there. In fact, last night I drove that stretch and saw 5 cop cars in the complex.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:08 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I know The Commons off Anniston Road are a good place to live, not too far from my home currently. I am not too familiar with the other complexes, but I do know San Pablo and Hodges are a safe area. I would not recommend Silver Springs, it is a great location, but I have not seen the greatest of people living there. In fact, last night I drove that stretch and saw 5 cop cars in the complex.
I agree, all the locations look good/safe. Silver Springs is kind of party central, but should be safe as well.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:46 AM

I cannot thank you all enough for your public and private responses to my questions and concerns. I am thankful for this site; I am thankful for you. I am now prepared to fly down and look at the 5 complexes myself, but would not be in this space without your help and guidance. I will post one more question regarding vehicle inspections, but for now, I'm on my "own" as far as housing (thanks to all of you!) and will re-post my findings once I've secured the lease. Hopefully I will have some value to add also.

Sincerely,
MaryAnn

Old 06-17-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Spent the weekend in Jacksonville :) :) :)

Justed wanted to circle back and provide my feedback. Many, many, many thanks to Riveree, Apanda and others. I had absolutely no clue, logged onto this site and was provided so much wonderful insight. Thank you!

My “short” trip:

We flew in last Friday and flew out 7:05am Sunday morning. We had one major item on our agenda - housing!

I have to let you know, I did do some additional research on my own and strayed a bit from the initial two "approved" lists of possible housing. What a HUGE mistake that was, and I will tell you why without offending too many Floridians as I continue my little story. Rent.com, mynewplace.com and apartments.com have either 1)very old pictures or 2)very good camera filters, as what you see on the internet is not necessarily what you get. (lesson one for me).

I flew down to JAX Friday evening with 7 appointments, back to back, booked starting Saturday morning. I had print outs, rent $$, crime statistics, maps, etc. Boy did I think I was oh so prepared and would need to choose between the top 3 appointments.

My husband and I decided to do a drive by of all 7 appointments the night before and stop in a few that were not on our list. We wanted to get a feel for the community on a Friday evening, or Friday night, then again during the day. It was after the first drive by, then the second, then the third, that I started doubting my research (and seriously thinking about throwing up). I'm not describing $500/month starting rent communities either. These communities were $575-$700 for 1bdr/1bath. We smelled urine, literally saw a the end of playground fight that ended with blood, fighting parents, police, etc., garbage on front hoods (but then one or two bags fell off and the owners did not pick it up and place the remains in the dumpster), front doors with little to no paint left on the metal, screens that were destroyed, and a whole lot of adults just "hanging out", abandoned cars, boats, lack of landscaping, etc. Again, not to offend anyone, but if you're looking for an apartment, PLEASE LISTEN TO THE ACTIVE POSTERS ON THIS SITE.... and I'll tell you why.

Late Friday night we finally made our way towards our hotel (Mayo/Ramada off San Pablo) and my emotions and attitude started to change.... and they changed drastically. I had the above list and my 2nd list with me (Riveree/Apanda and others weighed in on my choices) (and my handy dandy map) and we drove into the next 8 complexes around Beach, JT, Hodges & San Pablo. Grant it, by this time it was around 9pm, but we were able to get a pretty good idea of the community at night. We were on a mission at this point and knew we had narrowed our search down to 4 choices. Woodhollow (only complex with a studio), Bermuda Cove, Cape and Country Club Lakes. All within our revised budget and all had decent crime statistics (plus convenient to FCCJ and the beach!).

We showed up at Woodhollow without an appointment and we spent a good while speaking to the current neighbors, contractors and the leasing agent. Insert important point: People approached us (carpet installer and residents) and offered their opinions and advice and welcomed us. VERY VERY nice feeling.

We then showed up at Bermuda Cove and again, we spoke to the leasing agent AND potential leasee's (young women wanting to move from May Port? Point? Sorry - May something) to this area. She and I swapped so many notes/stories as between the two of us we had covered 20 different communities. I also gave her and the leasing agent this website and praised the stickies (crime statistics, etc.) and the members.

Sorry to digress......okay - from Bermuda we went to Country Club Lakes. Loved it, loved the price, but no balconies.

We then uploaded all the pictures we took (yes, I took my own pictures of the available units) and called the “kids” with what I hope was an unbiased description of Woodhollow and Bermuda Cove.

The kids chose Bermuda Cove (Woodhollow studio apartments do not include a patio/balcony and the available 1 bdrm cornered Hodges – traffic), I left a hold deposit and we’ll be back down in 2 1/2 weeks!!!!!

We also made time to quickly drive down to St. Augustine outlets, St. John’s Center (L.O.V.E. it), and the gorgeous drive up Ponte Vedra Blvd (wooooowwwwzaaaa)

Our general observations/suggestions that may be useful for others looking to relocate:
1) Honestly…listen to Riveree and others. Do your own research, but please….have a Jacksonville resident validate your findings. STAY WITHIN THE SUGGESTED ZIP CODES
2) Plan a trip to JAX and spend more than 36 hours (we were pressed for time L )
3) Every single person we came in contact with was VERY friendly. This includes residents, other potential leasee’s, contractors, wait staff, retail employees, etc. Keep in mind….I sound like a Jersey girl….and people were still VERY friendly! Talk to the people in the community, talk to the people at the airport, talk to anyone you feel comfortable approaching and just ask them what they think about their community. People, in general, love to give their opinions….just listen.
4) Diversity….Yes, there is diversity in Jacksonville. I read a comment or two suggesting that Jacksonville lacked diversity. Not sure which Jacksonville the poster was referencing, but the Jacksonville I visited has diversity. In 1 full day, I personally spoke to 8 different nationalities and 3 different sexual preferences. Jacksonville isn’t the UN, but yes, there is diversity.

I flew home feeling good about the decision we made and excited/stressed about pulling the rest of the move together in such a short time.

I seriously cannot thank everyone enough. I appreciate this site, the available resources and appreciate the fact that the members spend their personal time helping others.

Kind Regard,
MaryAnn

Old 06-17-2008, 08:29 PM

702 posts, read 2,185,921 times
I am glad we could be of help! Maybe you will move down next? Great choice, hope the move goes well!

Old 06-17-2008, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I am glad we could be of help! Maybe you will move down next? Great choice, hope the move goes well!
Apanda.....I was seriousely thinking of Ponte Vedra. Oh the architecture alone lured me in! We'll see how the kids do in school. If they love it and do well...I'll start looking into one of the new developments and hope to jump in during the construction phase! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville