Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 10:09 PM

1,213 posts, read 954,485 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I live in Philadelphia, but are getting to the point that we'd like to explore Florida for either a primary residence in a couple years or a split situation between Philly and Florida. The winters, although much more mild than years before, are getting depressing and we both hate the cold. We've done relatively well for ourselves (read: well off, but money is not yet "no object"), and our kids are in grad school and undergrad, so we're finally mobile.

Although we've both traveled extensively, neither of us has ever been to Jacksonville. From my research it sounds great - decent sized, great beaches, northern section of FL, growing city that is finally getting it's druthers (much like Philly IMO). So, I guess I'm looking for some feedback based on the below.

WANTS:
- Close Atlantic Ocean access (preferably within walking distance): I lifeguarded at the Jersey shore and have surfed all my life. Cycling or walking distance to the ocean is very important to us. We're both fit, so we can be a couple miles away as long as we can get there without highways and other barriers. My only concern is how sharky it is down there, but I'll take my chances
- Things to do: My wife and I are active in our late 40s. Our kids are grown and we do NOT want to just fade away on the gulf coast with a bunch of retirees. Although our clubbing days are long over, we'd still like some options for drinking on the weekends into the night and meeting cool people at dive bars and just having fun.
- Down to earth people, but also accepting people: Although my wife and I have been successful, we grew up very modestly/poor and really hate pretense. On the same hand, we are who we are and like to be ourselves. My main concern is how people from the north are viewed and treated.
- Urbanity: Beyond "things to do," we'd like to be in, or in proximity to, a small-mid-sized city. Coming from a major metropolitan area, we would like a little urban feel. I'm pretty sure, from what I've researched, that Jacksonville already fits our needs here, but would love input.
- HOAs: If we go condo, it would be best if the HOAs weren't crazy. I hate HOAs! I know they vary widely down there (I was looking at South Beach out of curiosity and a one bedroom 500 sq. ft. condo usually comes with like $600/mo. of HOA for a crap parking space and "maintenance fees.") I don't want to feel compelled to rent out months just to cover an $1100/month HOA.
- Storms: What's the storm situ down there. I've been tracking hurricanes and the such, and it looks like you don't get nailed, but I'm assuming you have some flooding and wind collateral damage.
- Other: Am I overlooking anything or missing any important components?

Finally, if you think we would like it in your city, can you suggest some neighborhoods or areas I can search on zillow? I'd like to stay under 350k for either a large one bedroom or smallish house. Not sure this is even possible, and we can be a bit flexible, but thought I'd hear from those in the know.

Thanks in advance guys.

Cheers,
C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2020, 08:30 AM

237 posts, read 283,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Hi all,

- Down to earth people, but also accepting people: Although my wife and I have been successful, we grew up very modestly/poor and really hate pretense. On the same hand, we are who we are and like to be ourselves. My main concern is how people from the north are viewed and treated.
That is 100% dependent on you. Heads up: You will NOT find authentic cheesesteaks here. No one knows what scrapple or pork roll is. We don't "do" hockey. The pizza here is lackluster. Accept all of that up front. Do NOT complain or compare Jax to back home...in food, in sports, in nightlife, politics, etc. You will find yourself ostracized very quickly. No one likes to be told their home is lacking something by an outsider. Also, understand you're considering a move to "red" country. If your politics are blue, it' going to be difficult for you in NE FL. There are pockets of blue here and there, but the community pretty much thumbs their nose at them.

Come here and be a nice, decent person who is open to changing their lifestyle and views, and you'll be ok.

Old 12-11-2020, 09:13 AM

486 posts, read 516,099 times
I mean Duval county voted for Biden. Its not as deep red as it appears. It is very much purple unless you go into the country. I wouldn't worry too much about the Republican gatekeeping that is popping up on these forums. Just be a nice person and you will be treated well. The golden rule goes a long way.

I watched the kids in my neighborhood in deep red Nassau playing hockey in the street this week. We have a minor league hockey team.

As to food, its that way everywhere. You will find some great BBQ and good Fish down here. Just embrace the different food. You are looking to split time between the states, so it will be fine.

$350k right by the ocean will be the biggest issue, even with a 1br condo. In a year or two I expect that will be $400k-$500k at the rate prices are going. If you are willing to drive 10 minutes to the beach, you will have a lot more luck finding something. In a quick search, the only properties I could find right now are up on Amelia Island that are very close to the ocean. Prices are increasing very rapidly on the island though as retirees are buying up everything.

What you wrote really sounds like Ponte Vedra Beach or Neptune Beach would fit you well. I am just not sure you will find your price point. If ok with more small town feel and an hour to the city, then Fernandina Beach might fit(Amelia Island). Also keep an eye on St Augustine Shores, but if you want to be near the city proper(Jax) you will be an hour away then also. Further down the coast you might also find some things you like about Brevard county in Satellite Beach or Melbourne, but the city that is closest there is Orlando.

Old 12-11-2020, 12:38 PM

6,394 posts, read 4,899,454 times
350k anywhere near the ocean, especially in a couple of years, is impossible. In PVB and Neptune ultra impossible. Maybe somewhere down the coast. Maybe 10 years ago it was doable, but Jax is growing like crazy and home prices are skyrocketing. We moved here 4 years ago and would not be able to afford our house now. It is up over 30%. For once in my life, I picked the right area, at the right time. Our HOA fees are 120/month for gated, manned, patrolled security and gorgeous grounds.

Old 12-12-2020, 09:06 PM

542 posts, read 701,765 times
From your list I would say there is no reason to limit yourself to Jacksonville unless you have ties there in some way. If you want to be within walking distance of the ocean you will not actually be in Jacksonville at all. You might be in Jacksonville beach which is a different town. If you want to be under $350k and walk to beach, I believe that is a possibility but suggest you start with a zillow search along the A1A corridor. Ameila Island to St Augustine if you are interested in North Florida.

Old 12-13-2020, 05:53 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
I, too, like squarpeg, suggest St. Augustine or Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:36 AM

1,213 posts, read 954,485 times
Good suggestions all. I appreciate it. I'm going to search around on zillow around the A1A a bit north and south of Jacksonville/Jacksonville Beach and see what's out there...

Old 12-15-2020, 05:13 PM

266 posts, read 261,839 times
You sound like you come from a city that offers many things to do (I do not know Philadelphia). Be prepared to not find that in Jax. Jax is a rather provincial big city (surface-wise) and can be very boring. Yes, you can always go to the beach. And yes, there are a few bars at Jax Beach. Downtown Jax is completely deserted. There is nothing.

We lived in Jax for over 10 years and gave up on Jax after the first 3 years because we were always so disappointed when we went out and tried to have a decent time (we already had low expectations). It was just not worth it - too disappointing. And it did not improve in these over 10 years, either, on the contrary. Do not expect any decent nightlife!

You should read the different threads in this forum about Jax:

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ille-fl-5.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ositive-4.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/jacks...ositive-8.html

We eventually moved to Orlando and absolutely love it here!

Old 12-15-2020, 06:20 PM

237 posts, read 283,278 times
Seriously germanoricua, you've been doing this for how long now? You, Squarepeg & Love Boating adore taking time out of your day to bash Jax. Can't you just be happy that you've left? Has Jax moved into your head and is it living there, rent free?

Good God, get a real hobby or something! This is getting old.

Old 12-16-2020, 04:06 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,118,057 times
Don't expect Jacksonville to be like Philadelphia because it's not. Come down here with an open mind, and you may like it. Jacksonville isn't for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville