Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2020, 10:41 AM

6,275 posts, read 4,758,955 times

Advertisements

Has anyone quit their Country Club because of COVID? We dropped our membership because we couldn't see the point of spending all that money for something we can't use. It seems many others have done the same thing. By the time this is all said and done, it will be more than 15 months until things return to a sense of normalcy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2020, 10:51 AM

19,894 posts, read 8,786,829 times
it's up to you as to how much you use it. I play twice a week.

Old 12-14-2020, 10:53 AM

9,267 posts, read 8,163,930 times
I know someone who works at the Ponte Vedra Inn and Club. Nearly all staff were furloughed in March but they have started hiring folks back. She says the dining area and the golf clubs are both still "very busy" on weekends but she doesn't have access to membership figures, just anecdotal evidence.

I would imagine a country club looking to survive would allow members to simply pause their membership for a period of months until things calm down and a vaccine is readily available for everyone. The health clubs/gyms did that and I found that to be fair.

It will be interesting to see how this all works if you fast forward several months. Are public and private spaces going to require some form of proof of vaccine to re-enter? I can see pros and cons to both sides of that.

Old 12-14-2020, 11:19 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,122,662 times
Business as usual at Sawgrass CC and I personally haven't heard of anyone dropping their membership in my age group (30s -50s). My wife's parents haven't heard of anyone dropping their membership at Sawgrass either (they indicated that golf has been busy). We use the beach club, dining, weekly golf clinics for my kid and the fitness center. We don't golf but plenty of other things to do there. If anything, the membership waitlist continues to grow.

No option to pause membership dues here.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:13 AM

We find the members, for the most, part entitled and cliquish, since they have to be well off to pay the dues and initiation fees. Our best friend quit Sawgrass CC. We never belonged to a CC before moving to Florida and it was an interesting experience, when COVID ends, we will join the YMCA. My wife is from a more friendly country and cannot believe how people act there.

Old 12-15-2020, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
We find the members, for the most, part entitled and cliquish, since they have to be well off to pay the dues and initiation fees. Our best friend quit Sawgrass CC. We never belonged to a CC before moving to Florida and it was an interesting experience, when COVID ends, we will join the YMCA. My wife is from a more friendly country and cannot believe how people act there.
You asked a question about folks quitting clubs and I answered. I respect your opinion but there's no need to make generalizations and throw in subtle attacks based on the experiences of a member that quit... Are there a-holes there? Sure there are but it's certainly not the majority as you claim it is.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:34 PM

As my dad used to say "I don't want to get into a long winded discussion". I expressed my feelings and observations and there is nothing else to add. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years to all those on Jax Forum.

Old 12-15-2020, 02:05 PM

Well here's my feelings and observations. You're wrong. Have a good one.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:36 PM

8,839 posts, read 5,874,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Since you didn't like the members at your CC, why were you members? Plenty of health clubs around for gym use.

Old 12-17-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
Since you didn't like the members at your CC, why were you members? Plenty of health clubs around for gym use.
I didn't say we didn't like them, they were cliquish and entitled. We liked our instructor and a few of our classmates. We stayed because the classes helped us. I accept people the way they are, I don't care if they are billionaires or broke. People, especially those from the NE, can be rude and abrasive. I was born in NYC and took many trips there in my career and those were many of the folks I interacted with. Its not good or bad, its just the way they are. We enjoy the more laid back Florida lifestyle and accept that there are transplants that have that NE vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville