Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2022, 06:05 PM

33 posts, read 27,639 times

Advertisements

Few questions for the locals...

We're looking to relocate to St Johns County maybe this year. Considering Jullington Creek and PVB areas for a more established community feel, schools, and convenience. In which of these two areas are you less likely to be given a dirty look for not wearing a mask in a public place? That happened with added commentary while at a store in Durbin Park last week and was quite off-putting (esp when 10-20 feet from anyone else). Finding that every populated area, regardless of whether you're in NY, PA, NC or FL, are heavily masked and some establishments even enforcing it upon entry. Some areas are even requiring vax passports to enter (PA, NY) -- INSANE esp with the science that is now available. We are tired of the pushiness, nonsense, and divide all around and want to settle somewhere less likely to comply with the madness that seems to be endless or to at least let people choose for themselves. Is St Johns a good fit?

Since our area search began in 2020, home prices have skyrocketed everywhere, including ours in NC. When this lets up is anyone's guess - maybe with higher interest rates and less covid insanity/escapism? Every home listed is gone within 1-3 days. Every new home builder is 12-18 months out. Most won't even install a pool at construction because they are too busy, as was explained to us. Jullington Creek's surrounding areas that appealed to us were South Hampton, St Johns CC, Cimarrone and Shearwater. The more established neighborhoods have more land and many homes have pools - all appealing - but most need updates (not a big deal if cosmetic). How difficult is it to find a contractor to, say, update flooring or kitchen cabinets around there? Scheduling lag times?

Also, I jumped onto Trulia to look at crime in each neighborhood, expecting not to see anything. I was surprised to see at least 1 burglary listed in each of the above neighborhoods in the last 6-9 mos. Anyone know if these are car break-ins vs home invasions that are more common? They're gorgeous and feel very peaceful when driving through... Anything else we should know about these particular subdivisions that locals would be able to share, as well as Jullington Creek? We were able to talk to a few people who live in JC and love it there. A teenager actually told me it's the "safest feeling place" she's lived in St Johns County growing up there. That's a good recommendation.

Thanks, all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2022, 07:18 PM
rtt

302 posts, read 813,178 times
The "Science" shows that wearing a mask in public spaces will help to keep you from getting infected. You may have heard of an institution called the CDC?

Old 01-02-2022, 07:24 PM

By maybe 10%. Science also shows natural immunity is a real thing. Force-masking is what I'm against. If you feel safer wearing it, go for it. Every person has to weigh their own risks/benefit.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
The "Science" shows that wearing a mask in public spaces will help to keep you from getting infected. You may have heard of an institution called the CDC?

Also, you may have read about all of the back-peddling the CDC does on a regular basis to adjust their guidance based on "science" that is ever-evolving.

If you have answers to the other questions, that would be great!

Old 01-02-2022, 07:40 PM
rtt

302 posts, read 813,178 times
You'll be very happy in the areas you mentioned. Unfortunately only about 25% of people are wearing masks in places like Target and Walmart.

Old 01-02-2022, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
You'll be very happy in the areas you mentioned. Unfortunately only about 25% of people are wearing masks in places like Target and Walmart.

People just want to get back to normal. They've been vax'd, acquired natural immunity, or they aren't high risk/concerned. Glad many are thinking for themselves and weighing the risks.

Old 01-03-2022, 06:42 AM

122 posts, read 261,502 times
Who Cares? Get over it. We wear masks when we go shopping, but most folks do not. Why on earth is this even a criterion in selecting a place to live or retire, other than to incite conflict.

Could have poor sanitation, shootings every day, poorly built housing, sofas in your neighbor's front yards, drunk drivers on the streets, trailer parks every 1/2 a mile, but no one wears masks so that is OK.

Old 01-03-2022, 07:39 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Yeah, that's crazy to ask for passports upon entry!

I had to show a police officer my driving passport after being pulled over last week!

I had to show a Costco passport to enter their business yesterday!

Can you believe the library made me produce a library passport to check out some books for my child?

I even had to produce a driving passport to fly home last month to the airlines!!!

And just this morning, the gym required me show my gym passport to enter their facility!!

THIS WORLD IS GOING CRAZY!!!!!

Old 01-03-2022, 10:40 AM

662 posts, read 868,582 times
But showing an ID to vote is somehow violating some voting rights? Sure ok

But yes we don't require the nonsense here in FL. Even those who support vax cards, lockdowns, and mask mandates forget all about that when they come to Florida for vacation right?

A nice dog and a firearm (still legal as of now) will rid you of any worries of a home invasion. Or if you aren't a fan of guns you can do like they do on TV and have a 9 iron. They look threatening on TV but dont think it's going to do any good in a real life situation. You can't shoot someone breaking into your car though. Just call the police for that and let them take whatever they want. Someone recently in Jax thought it was wise to go outside and confront someone breaking into a car.

Last edited by Gromicide; 01-03-2022 at 10:48 AM..

Old 01-03-2022, 10:47 AM

9,406 posts, read 8,374,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
But showing an ID to vote is somehow violating some voting rights? Sure ok
No one has a "right" to go into a public or private business, school, church, etc. either. They set their own rules. You either abide by them or don't. No one is forcing vaccines on anyone but don't expect to be allowed the privilege to attend school, go to a restaurant, enjoy a movie, etc. if you make the conscious choice not to abide by their rules of entry. Just like I can't walk into some random gym without having paid their gym fees and swipe my card. Or enter a movie without having paid for the ticket. None of these public or private businesses wants to be the one who is responsible for a super spreader event, which is why they're setting such rules. Moving to Florida may alleviate some of that for now, but that could certainly change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: