Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:20 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,092,400 times

Advertisements

It's humorous when people are disappointed that Jacksonville isn't like (insert city). I'm a lifelong Jacksonville resident and one thing I've come to expect that Jacksonville is what it is. It's not for everyone and that's cool. That being said, folks should stop moving to Jacksonville expecting it to be like wherever they come from. People should research Jacksonville thoroughly before they decide to move here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 09:15 AM

78 posts, read 74,479 times
Agreed, totally.

You think Jax is getting bad? try living here in the Tampa Bay region and down to Ft Myers! Many family members and friends (who are natives and/or very very longtime southern residents, etc) are becoming irate with the recent, wild migration of bad actors and personalities especially from places like Chicago, Greater Baltimore/DC, NYC (Bronx, Manhattan, Long Island), Providence and Boston....and don't me started about NJ,

They come down here actually expecting the same cultural things, shopping, FOOD, politics, entertainment, etc that they ruined for themselves in those other cities! It's truly offensive to natives of Florida.

Now, hell, I even have knowitall neighbors from California (the absolute worst)....and Seattle

On the other hand, we have fine adaptive transplants from Wisconsin, KY, Iowa, W-VA, Maine, Texas, LA, TN, southern IL, and even Canada.

It's a nasty mixed-bag right now and out of control here in Tampa, Orlando, Sarasota, Naples and Ft. Myers.

Orlando just got over-run with over 200k migrants from US citizens from Puerto Rico....many who don't speak standard English as born US citizens.

Overlay these transplants with the huge illegal immigrant population, we have a huge huge problem.

I agree, NOBODY does intelligent research before moving here....and don't want to, which is stupid.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:00 AM

1,266 posts, read 1,071,684 times
Wow. What a negative post about Central Florida and Florida. I guess we all have options to move to another stated or area of Florida. I mean the everglades is quiet. Demographics are changing around the USA. Get use to it.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:14 AM

655 posts, read 851,219 times
Meanwhile, TX residents are bracing themselves for the tidal wave. I mean TX is already heavily populated but it's basically like FL in terms of suburbs popping up everywhere and people trying to escape their communist govt.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:22 AM

78 posts, read 74,479 times
How is stating the truth about migration patterns, NEGATIVE?

You can't ignore the truth! Every thing isn't rosy about migratory patterns OR people. Speaking the truth should not be offensive to any clear-thinking resident of FLORIDA.

Of course people are free to move around this great nation. All movement willy-nilly can't all be desirable or even sustainable....sustainable is the main issue...resource allocation, infrastructure damage/stress, water quality, beach erosion, police/fire/emergency services, school crowding, hospital bed resources...

Un-restrained interstate migration and un-restrained illegal immigration damages limited state resources.

Migration of every sort is not automatically a net "positive". Any reasonable citizen can see the real and potential negatives.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:37 AM

2,504 posts, read 1,823,556 times
Jax also comprises all of unincorporated Duval county, which is why Jackonsville has so many people and large sq miles of land. The city has a lot of potential, especially being on a river and ocean to the east. Will likely grow further in the future as south Floridians move north to the Jacksonville area.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:38 AM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
It's humorous when people are disappointed that Jacksonville isn't like (insert city). I'm a lifelong Jacksonville resident and one thing I've come to expect that Jacksonville is what it is. It's not for everyone and that's cool. That being said, folks should stop moving to Jacksonville expecting it to be like wherever they come from. People should research Jacksonville thoroughly before they decide to move here.
We have been here for better than 31 years and while we love the area and have embraced everything, I am really disappointed in the downtown or urban core. When we first moved here the Landing was like a bight new shiny penny.

Downtown was about to begin what was supposed to be a renaissance. Instead thirty years later we lost the Landing and Metropolitan Park and except for the small but growing Elbow district downtown remains underdeveloped.

Hopefully the blossoming San Marco, Riverside and other close revitalized areas will help bring about some growth downtown.

It's one thing to move here and complain but we just want to see downtown become successful as it is hard to believe with such a beautiful downtown waterfront its growth remains stagnant except for Kahns taxpayer funded properties.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:45 PM

9,273 posts, read 8,174,607 times
Get used to it is all I'm gonna say. With all these companies now allowing people to work remotely, the flood gates are now opened to people moving to warm weather states like Florida from the colder states. It was already happening for years evidenced by the population increases into FL, now it's going to grow exponentially.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:06 AM

3,337 posts, read 7,092,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridarebel View Post
Jax also comprises all of unincorporated Duval county, which is why Jacksonville has so many people and large sq miles of land. The city has a lot of potential, especially being on a river and ocean to the east. Will likely grow further in the future as south Floridians move north to the Jacksonville area.
It does have potential, and I hope it capitalizes on it. The question is which direction will Jacksonville grow as South Floridians move here. The Southside is pretty much developed, so the only alternatives I see are the West and Northside (North of Dunn)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
We have been here for better than 31 years and while we love the area and have embraced everything, I am really disappointed in the downtown or urban core. When we first moved here the Landing was like a bight new shiny penny.

Downtown was about to begin what was supposed to be a renaissance. Instead thirty years later we lost the Landing and Metropolitan Park and except for the small but growing Elbow district downtown remains underdeveloped.

Hopefully the blossoming San Marco, Riverside and other close revitalized areas will help bring about some growth downtown.

It's one thing to move here and complain but we just want to see downtown become successful as it is hard to believe with such a beautiful downtown waterfront its growth remains stagnant except for Kahns taxpayer funded properties.
The Landing and Metropolitan Park kept downtown Jacksonville together. Now, DT isn't the same without the Landing. The city needs to do something to shake up DT

Old 12-17-2020, 07:45 AM

4,793 posts, read 5,960,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northside904 View Post
It does have potential, and I hope it capitalizes on it. The question is which direction will Jacksonville grow as South Floridians move here. The Southside is pretty much developed, so the only alternatives I see are the West and Northside (North of Dunn)

The Landing and Metropolitan Park kept downtown Jacksonville together. Now, DT isn't the same without the Landing. The city needs to do something to shake up DT
When we got here 30 years ago where River City now stands was just a sand pit and Nassau County was just a sleepy suburb. It is amazing how much the Northside has grown!

I am not one of those that believe in conspiracy theories but it almost seems the city condemned Metropolitan Park and wrote off the Landing to appease Kahn’s amphitheater and Lot J’s future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville