Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2020, 07:33 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,345,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marysa Butzke View Post
I want a moratorium on all transplants, esp from the NE ! LOL

Of course this is still the USA, but there is a limit to population and cultural/political shifts, who wants Jax or TPA to become CT, RI or NY? NOBODY here. ALL of my family and friends are already sick of it.
Are you going to hijack all threads where people from other states are asking about FL? Because it's getting reeeeeally old quickly. You sound like a very miserable person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2020, 07:46 AM

542 posts, read 701,611 times
Quote:
LOL, you didn't like it here when you used to live here. Your white knighting is noted and goes against what you stand for when it comes to this area.
What in the world are you talking about, I do live here.

Old 12-24-2020, 09:50 AM

78 posts, read 75,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Are you going to hijack all threads where people from other states are asking about FL? Because it's getting reeeeeally old quickly. You sound like a very miserable person.

Wuh? awfully thin-skinned aren't you? You're free to ignore my posted opinions ya know

Old 12-24-2020, 11:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
I want a moratorium on all transplants, esp from the NE ! LOL

Of course this is still the USA, but there is a limit to population and cultural/political shifts, who wants Jax or TPA to become CT, RI or NY? NOBODY here. ALL of my family and friends are already sick of it.
Sorry, but in the United States, anyone is allowed to move anywhere and vote however they want. Three years ago, I moved to Jacksonville from Connecticut and absolutely vote straight Dem in every election here just like I did in Connecticut. I am delighted to see that Duval County turned blue finally and we just passed a sales tax increase for the betterment of our public schools.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:08 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sorry, but in the United States, anyone is allowed to move anywhere and vote however they want. Three years ago, I moved to Jacksonville from Connecticut and absolutely vote straight Dem in every election here just like I did in Connecticut. I am delighted to see that Duval County turned blue finally and we just passed a sales tax increase for the betterment of our public schools.
We are also transplants from RI where the tax and spend by our government there has crippled our state. We embraced the culture and politics here when we arrived here. Everywhere in the US is different and it’s ironic so many that move here want to make things just like where they came from. We moved here for the differences, I don’t want to see Florida become another over taxed resemblance of RI.

The link below is a year old but not much has changed in the way of the Connecticut economy. Heck, I can remember when their economy was so vibrant and the state did not have an income tax.

https://www.courant.com/opinion/lett...xiq-story.html

Old 12-25-2020, 06:00 AM

78 posts, read 75,373 times
Quote:

Of course this is the USA, and you can move anywhere you wish! and I'm free to share with you and tell you, I'd rather you stay where you are.

Your sentiment is exactly what I don't want to live around...if I did, I would gladly move to your CT, but I don't, I'm a native, and a native southerner...a happy, practical conservative unlike you folks who just love higher taxes, by your own admission in your statement.

Most of the South, including FL, doesn't share your commitment to high taxes and leftist government overreach. Please go home...lol, and SOLVE the problems of CT instead of running away the chicken way....nooooo, but your want to export your insanity of government, culture and political bent. You do see us clamoring to move to CT to "turn"CT "red" do you? That should speak volumes to everyone, even those who are boneheaded and strident in their political views.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:49 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Of course this is the USA, and you can move anywhere you wish! and I'm free to share with you and tell you, I'd rather you stay where you are.

Your sentiment is exactly what I don't want to live around...if I did, I would gladly move to your CT, but I don't, I'm a native, and a native southerner...a happy, practical conservative unlike you folks who just love higher taxes, by your own admission in your statement.

Most of the South, including FL, doesn't share your commitment to high taxes and leftist government overreach. Please go home...lol, and SOLVE the problems of CT instead of running away the chicken way....nooooo, but your want to export your insanity of government, culture and political bent. You do see us clamoring to move to CT to "turn"CT "red" do you? That should speak volumes to everyone, even those who are boneheaded and strident in their political views.
Well I'm sorry but the public schools up north are FAR better than they are in Florida. Duval public schools are a total embarrassment. So yes, I absolutely want Duval schools to be like how they are up north. Which is why I'm happy to pay more taxes for the betterment of the school system here. They are severely underfunded.

The northern states are not hell holes by any objective measure. They have excellent education and healthcare, are much wealthier, healthier and much better gun laws and much less gun deaths as a result. These are positive things. Why wouldn't I want Florida to adopt the same good policies and conditions as those states? Let's keep the good things about Florida and change the bad things. I care about Florida.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Well that is fine, you can wish that, but I do not see it happening. As a matter of fact just thinking about the majority of people I know in Florida, most are from somewhere else originally. From all over, not just the North east. As a matter of fact till relatively recently Florida was essentially an undeveloped swamp. It is the people from other places that moved here that have turned it into such an important state.

Quote:
A thoughtless partisan rant. I don't think most people that come here from up north are running away from their state government. It does tend to be more expensive to live up North for a whole host of reasons. It is simply a much more difficult environment overall. I am from Vermont and compared to Florida, it is simply harder to live there, requires more energy, everything is tougher. Houses have to be built better, roads are completely destroyed every year. Cars rust away in no time. etc. So as a baby boomer, I like so many people from the North, are simply seeking an easier and yes a less costly lifestyle. The tax issues it self though has never been a driving factor in my mind. I could move to New Hampshire where there is no sales or income tax, but it is just as tough in the winter there. I find Florida overall to be a pretty dismal state. Largely based on the government policies that have evolved here, but in the USA there really is no place with the weather of Florida. You also have the wonderful water and coastline. My feeling is the vast majority of people come here for those things and while you are correct that some of us will bring a Democratic philosophy with us. I am afraid you are just going to have to accept that. Please also keep in mind the giant pile of money that these people coming from the north are bringing with them and depositing in some way into your state and local economy. That money was all made in another place and now it is just tumbling into Florida. My wife and I looked into moving to Mississippi or Alabama prior to choosing Florida. I liked Mississippi but we just felt it was so socially and economically backwards it wouldn't be the right fit for us. You might be able to find some solace in one of those places.

Old 12-25-2020, 08:11 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,123,485 times
Quote:
Well I'm sorry but the public schools up north are FAR better than they are in Florida. Duval public schools are a total embarrassment. So yes, I absolutely want Duval schools to be like how they are up north. Which is why I'm happy to pay more taxes for the betterment of the school system here. They are severely underfunded.

The northern states are not hell holes by any objective measure. They have excellent education and healthcare, are much wealthier, healthier and much better gun laws and much less gun deaths as a result. These are positive things. Why wouldn't I want Florida to adopt the same good policies and conditions as those states? Let's keep the good things about Florida and change the bad things. I care about Florida.
I see your point exactly but who am I as a transplant to determine that certain things that are widely accepted are bad?

Here in Fernandina Beach we weren’t that long ago a small sleepy coastal middle class town whose lively hood was supported by two paper mills and a port. City council meetings were snooze fests.

Fast forward to present day and we have become an unaffordable place for middle income families as rich retirees from other areas are driving up home prices. Many of these new transplants are targeting the mills along with the logging trucks and the port as they don’t want any industry where they purchased new idyllic homes. They also show up in force at the city council meetings looking to prohibit beach driving. A lot of these new transplants have the means to pay higher taxes and their voices are slowing being heard much to the dismay of the locals.

Change can be good but everywhere in the USA is both geographically and culturally different and to try and mimic the places people left instead of embracing their new surroundings is a recipe for disaster.

Old 12-25-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I see your point exactly but who am I as a transplant to determine that certain things that are widely accepted are bad?

Change can be good but everywhere in the USA is both geographically and culturally different and to try and mimic the places people left instead of embracing their new surroundings is a recipe for disaster.
I agree with the concept of not "mimicking the place you came from" In Vermont there is a saying, which unfortunately is a bumper sticker now. ( Don't Jersey Vermont ) this is the same issue we are speaking of here. Vermonters worried that all the New Jersey people moving in want trac homes, strip malls and paved roads. Cows be damned! I am certainly on-board with a very general concept of that. However.....that being said, just because a place you moved to has been doing something wrong or poorly for years before you arrived does not mean you should not try to alter it. If you arrive in a place and the school systems are failing because they are underfunded, or the road is full of litter, that paper mill you accept, because it was here, is doing something to endanger people....Sorry I am going to say something and maybe cause a change. When I first moved here there was someone in town suggesting we tear down the Fernandina post office because it would be expensive to fix. Because I am new here should I not voice an opinion on building a giant new hotel on the beach? Should the Fernandina waterfront be left a pile of wrecked abandon old buildings? I don't personally think so but I know lots of locals who would be happy to leave things as they are. But things are never as they were, especially in Florida. That broken waterfront used to be a vibrant industrial hub and fishing port. That is all gone now, it is not coming back. Things change, people need to talk about what all the people who currently live in a location at that moment think would make things better. Trying to exclude someone just because they arrived from somewhere else has never worked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville