Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 10:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,891 times

Advertisements

My wife and I just bought a home in St. John’s County. We are leaving “Rhude Island” aka Rhode Island. We will be escaping high taxes, poor infrastructure, high housing costs, unfriendly people, cold weather, old dilapidated school buildings/playgrounds/parks etc.
Anyone else from RI/MA/CT area heading to St. John’s area?

Any suggestions, hints, tips, or tricks for our new home area? We will be close to the St. John’s River with younger kids. I will commute to Jax. We enjoy biking, walking, fishing, shooting, etc. We are also looking for a good barn for horse boarding if anyone knows of one nearby?

Thanks all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 01:22 AM

1,319 posts, read 1,080,172 times
When I retire +/- 1 year my husband and I who are lifelong Rhode Islanders will be selling our home in Bristol and purchasing a home in The Villages which is a 55+ retirement community in central Florida. For us it is more about escaping the cold northeast winters allowing us to have a more active outdoor lifestyle for a greater part of the year with others of our own age group.

Best of luck with your relocation.

Old 12-20-2020, 09:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
When I retire +/- 1 year my husband and I who are lifelong Rhode Islanders will be selling our home in Bristol and purchasing a home in The Villages which is a 55+ retirement community in central Florida. For us it is more about escaping the cold northeast winters allowing us to have a more active outdoor lifestyle for a greater part of the year with others of our own age group.

Best of luck with your relocation.
That’s great! I do agree with the active lifestyle as well. We are leaving Florida today and we noticed so many people outside this weekend doing things (walking, biking, grilling, just hanging out together). It’s so different in RI where everyone is stuck inside so much, there are no sidewalks to safely walk or bike (other than the bike trail but who wants to drive to that all the time). We look forward to heading south soon to so we can take advantage of the outdoors.

Check this article out I found, sounds like we aren’t the only ones!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/r...o-florida.html

Old 12-20-2020, 10:08 AM

5,130 posts, read 6,127,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay13579 View Post
That’s great! I do agree with the active lifestyle as well. We are leaving Florida today and we noticed so many people outside this weekend doing things (walking, biking, grilling, just hanging out together). It’s so different in RI where everyone is stuck inside so much, there are no sidewalks to safely walk or bike (other than the bike trail but who wants to drive to that all the time). We look forward to heading south soon to so we can take advantage of the outdoors.

Check this article out I found, sounds like we aren’t the only ones!

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/04/r...o-florida.html
We made the transition several years ago from RI and while we have adapted to the Jacksonville area we still do miss RI, although RI has changed tremendously economically from when we lived there. It is now a very expensive place to live.

Good luck and welcome to the area

Old 12-20-2020, 02:54 PM

237 posts, read 283,278 times
Just make sure you don't come and "Rhode Island" up our Florida!

Old 12-20-2020, 07:03 PM

76 posts, read 65,361 times
Congrats on your move! We're in CT and hopefully punching out next year if everything works out selling our existing house (and it should, housing market has improved in CT with the New Yorker's coming north into the countryside)! Still thinking about where we're going to land but St. John's is on our list.

Old 12-21-2020, 06:33 AM

78 posts, read 75,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGAFL View Post
Just make sure you don't come and "Rhode Island" up our Florida!

AGREED. Just don't come to our home in FL and bring your lousy voting habits that helped to ruin the place you're escaping....

I know if I wanted to be around the typical residents of RI, i'd MOVE THERE!

Old 12-21-2020, 06:37 AM

78 posts, read 75,394 times
I want a moratorium on all transplants, esp from the NE ! LOL

Of course this is still the USA, but there is a limit to population and cultural/political shifts, who wants Jax or TPA to become CT, RI or NY? NOBODY here. ALL of my family and friends are already sick of it.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:44 PM

542 posts, read 701,765 times
Quote:
I want a moratorium on all transplants, esp from the NE ! LOL
Of course this is still the USA, but there is a limit to population and cultural/political shifts, who wants Jax or TPA to become CT, RI or NY? NOBODY here. ALL of my family and friends are already sick of it.
A very common and ridiculous statement. I hear this same thing from people in the North country about.. them city folk. What nonsense. We are all citizens of the USA, people can live where they want, stop being a dink.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:42 AM

237 posts, read 283,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squarpeg View Post
A very common and ridiculous statement. I hear this same thing from people in the North country about.. them city folk. What nonsense. We are all citizens of the USA, people can live where they want, stop being a dink.

LOL, you didn't like it here when you used to live here. Your white knighting is noted and goes against what you stand for when it comes to this area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville