Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2021, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,361 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are planning on relocating to Florida. We are familiar with the Bradenton/Sarasota area but St John’s appeals to us because of their high ranking schools. Can someone tell me the difference? Weather, stores, traffic, safety etc please.
We are looking for a 3,000 ish square foot house, 4 bedrooms and no more than $800,000. We also want a safe community, convenient to stores, conservative values, good high school (private or public) and a competitive soccer club and soccer training facilities for my high school age daughter. Not too much to ask
Thank you all for reading
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2021, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 4,090 times
woww what a nice thx Mrswlison

Old 01-14-2021, 02:47 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
The weather in northern Florida can be quite colder in the winter than central and south Florida. Check the average weather on accuweather.com.

When you have narrowed the choices a bit, look at two hurricane related items. First, check the evacuation zone. This is different from the flood zone. Evacuation zones indicate when and if you may have to evacuate for hurricane threats.

Next is the flood zone. If you are in a designated flood zone and you are getting a mortgage, you will have to get flood insurance. This is separate from your homeowners insurance. You may want to get flood insurance even if it is not required because most homeowners insurance policies in Florida exclude water damage.

Traffic in both areas is horrendous, but Sarasota has a seasonal variation from snowbirds, whilst Jacksonville seems more stable.

Old 01-14-2021, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
The weather in northern Florida can be quite colder in the winter than central and south Florida. Check the average weather on accuweather.com.

When you have narrowed the choices a bit, look at two hurricane related items. First, check the evacuation zone. This is different from the flood zone. Evacuation zones indicate when and if you may have to evacuate for hurricane threats.

Next is the flood zone. If you are in a designated flood zone and you are getting a mortgage, you will have to get flood insurance. This is separate from your homeowners insurance. You may want to get flood insurance even if it is not required because most homeowners insurance policies in Florida exclude water damage.

Traffic in both areas is horrendous, but Sarasota has a seasonal variation from snowbirds, whilst Jacksonville seems more stable.
Thank you for the thoughtful information. As for the weather, is the summer just as hot in both places, or is it also cooler in the summer up north?

Old 01-15-2021, 09:01 AM

78 posts, read 89,477 times
Traffic is not horrendous in Jacksonville. Especially compared to Lakewood Ranch area that I bet she’s looking at near Sarasota.

I live in St John’s. Great place to raise a family. For me I wish I had moved to Sarasota. The Gulf, is much nicer than the Atlantic, Sarasota is much warmer in the winter, but not really hotter in the summer. Sarasota feels much more upscale and vibrant to me. Sarasota is closer to a better airport with more direct flights out of Tampa.

St. Johns is great, but Sarasota beats it in almost every category.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:20 AM

237 posts, read 283,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BartramBuck View Post

St. Johns is great, but Sarasota beats it in almost every category.
Except schools, cost of living, less expensive housing and taxes, convenience, less traffic, more Conservative, more family friendly.

There is a reason SJC is one of the fastest growing counties in the nation.

Old 01-15-2021, 09:51 AM

1,008 posts, read 2,634,078 times
I have lived 20 years in Sarasota and 10 in St Augustine and on balance favor SJC.
Weather colder in winter but here in Sarasota in winter one day cold next day hot no consistency.
Schools just as good in both places but look at Pine View. My daughter has taught in both and prefers Sarasota.
Gulf is warmer and looks cleaner but RED TIDE is a killer.
It really comes down to the type of people. Sarasota in winter is crowded with Northern rude snowbirds whilst SJC has mainly year round residents.

Old 01-17-2021, 06:49 AM

989 posts, read 768,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter the Brit View Post
It really comes down to the type of people. Sarasota in winter is crowded with Northern rude snowbirds whilst SJC has mainly year round residents.
And Polite Canadians....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville