Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:05 AM

2,689 posts, read 3,966,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinaruss View Post
Wow, lots of Fernandina Beach slamming! Personally, I lived there for about 6 months back in 1996. Worked downtown at a restaurant and I liked it just fine except it was a little too slow paced for me. It was hard to get in with the locals but I didn't find them resentful or hillbillish at all. At the time I was in my mid 20's and wanted the nightlife scene. That was totally not happening there. Now, I'm married with kids in my mid 30's and would definately consider living there. One thing to keep in mind is that if you do the whole downtown, walk to coffee shops and post office thing, you are going to have to drive to the beach or ride a bike a couple of miles. If you go beachside, expect to drive downtown to get to the things you want in walking distance.
I think you should check out Atlantic Beach in Jacksonville area. It's it's own little town with it's town center on the ocean, tons of good eateries there on "the corner". Shelby's coffee shop is the bomb AND you can still get your oyster fix at Sliders. Happy hour on Thursday night I think they are $4 a dozen or so. It's 30 minutes from downtown Jax, friendly and very welcoming to newcomers.
not to be argumentative but we are not bashing FB, just stating the reality of small town living that is not unique to FB. Your 20 year old eyes saw things differently than you would now and if you did move back up there, I bet you'd grasp where we are coming from. I live in a very similar situation in NJ, and at times the class issues can be a real PITA. Atlantic beach has that small town feel and is way more convenient to the necessary amenities and they are not encumbered by the incestuous attitudes found in FB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 11:23 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
If you go beachside, expect to drive downtown to get to the things you want in walking distance.
Well, there has been a bit of development in FB since '96.
Grocery shopping (and restaurants, and plenty of other shopping, too) is right on Sadler, a long walk or very short drive from the beach.
But it is certainly true that downtown and the beach are separate entities, though of course the downtown marina is convenient for boaters.
Atlantic Beach looks very nice.
Looks a bit ritzier than Fernandina.
************************************************** ***************************************
Estimated median household income in 2005: $43,100 (it was $40,893 in 2000)
Fernandina Beach $43,100
Florida: $42,433

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $146,400 (it was $134,500 in 2000)
Fernandina Beach $146,400
Florida: $189,500
Estimated median household income in 2005: $53,100 (it was $48,353 in 2000)
Atlantic Beach $53,100
Florida: $42,433

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $282,000 (it was $169,800 in 2000)
Atlantic Beach $282,000
Florida: $189,500

Old 05-12-2008, 12:00 PM

14 posts, read 31,979 times
My inlaws retired to FB about 5 years ago so I have been up there many times since then. I have also done some business there myself so I understand it's appeal. It is a very nice community and the development that has taken place since 96' is amazing. Lots of good stuff close by but still has that small beach town feel. As I said, I would definately consider living there again but personally, I need the conveniences of a larger city like Jacksonville but still enjoy the beachy lifestyle. That's why I suggested Atlantic Beach. It's completely an individual preference. Both towns have excellent character and offer lots of laid back, beach town living!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,298 times
Have any of you seen the movie Sunshine State? It is a great little film by John Sayles set in a small NE Florida coastal town (filmed on Amelia and in FB). Having grown up in NE Florida (3rd generation native) I would say this film nails the culture and a the classic clash between locals a and encroaching development. It is an excellent film.

Last edited by poolgirl51; 05-12-2008 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM

14 posts, read 31,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolgirl51 View Post
Have any of you seen the movie Sunshine State? It is a great little film by John Sayles set in a small NE Florida coastal town (filmed on Amelia and in FB). Having grown up in NE Florida (3rd generation native) I would say this film nails the culture and a the classic clash between locals a and encroaching development. It is an excellent film.
That sounds so interesting. I would love to see it. Is it available for rent? Where would I be able to find a copy?

Old 05-12-2008, 05:03 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,298 times
Quote:
That sounds so interesting. I would love to see it. Is it available for rent? Where would I be able to find a copy?
Probably Net Flicks

Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 PM

7 posts, read 21,106 times
Yeah know ..as I read these posts, I am beginning to wonder if Apalachicola is a "pearl" and I just don't know it yet. Here when you are walking downtown you can pretty much see the water every where,plus we have a great fresh water river. Maybe I should stay put and just drive to Tallahassee when I need to shop, it is a college town so they have some cool places. As far as everyone being upset about people from Atlanta driving up
prices, I actually have not heard those words out of anyones piehole here!
I will check out Alantic Beach tho, thanks for all who write and the more the merrier!

Old 05-13-2008, 04:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbieS View Post
Yeah know ..as I read these posts, I am beginning to wonder if Apalachicola is a "pearl" and I just don't know it yet. Here when you are walking downtown you can pretty much see the water every where,plus we have a great fresh water river. Maybe I should stay put and just drive to Tallahassee when I need to shop, it is a college town so they have some cool places. As far as everyone being upset about people from Atlanta driving up
prices, I actually have not heard those words out of anyones piehole here!
I will check out Alantic Beach tho, thanks for all who write and the more the merrier!
I heard it quite a bit in the 19 or so months I lived in Port St Joe (but my husband was working with developers).
If you don't care about the beach or being close to a big city, you might as well stay in Apalach. It is a charming place, and Tally has a wonderful youthful energy (my younger kid is going to school there).
Quote:
It's on Netflix.
It's one of my favorite movies, I loved some of the lines Alan King had: "Nature on a leash"
Much of it was filmed right here on Amelia Island.
Sunshine State

Old 05-13-2008, 08:39 AM

56 posts, read 217,474 times
Have heard incredible things about Port St. Joe. Have been there a couple of times but not enough to make an informed decision about living there. I have often wondered what life is like over there.

I understand that this is a forum for the Jacksonville Area (Fernandina Beach) but if anyone could elaborate a bit on the lifestyle at Port St. Joe, I'd really appreciate it.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:16 AM

Flag
Just do a search in the Florida forum with my username.
I've posted extensively about PSJ.
We arrived there in fall of 2005, and left almost exactly a year ago, May 2007.
If you disliked Fernandina, I can't imagine you enjoying PSJ, but in terms of the beaches and scenic beauty, it's hard to top PSJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville