Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:13 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by palenciacondo View Post
I must disagree here. State vehicle inspections keep junkie vehicles off the road and are not silly. RIde around and count how many rusted out junkers with cracked windshields, broken headlights and bad brake systems remain on the road in FLorida. Yes, inspection requires the payment of a fee and is time-consuming, but well worth it , IMO. The fact that vehicles go uninspected contributes to higher auto insurance rates in the state.
Oh really? I don't think auto insurance rates are based on the ratio of junkie vehicles in any state. I think insurers look at the ratio of claims (accidents, car thefts, etc.) relative to a particular population. By the way, I see more smoking chimneys on wheels in NJ and NY than I do here in Florida. So much for state emission inspections.

Last edited by cricketfan; 05-13-2008 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 09:27 PM

53 posts, read 305,189 times
Insurance rates are not based on a ratio of junkie vehicles. That is not what was stated. Auto inspections prevent junkers from remaining on the roads year after year. Basically, a yearly inspection forces the owner to keep the vehicle operating safely. For example, if the brakes are not functioning properly, the car will fail inspection. The brakes must be repaired in order for the auto to continue to be operated on roads. Do you want a car coming up on you from behind with good brakes or bad brakes?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:36 PM

702 posts, read 2,184,847 times
Quote:
I must disagree here. State vehicle inspections keep junkie vehicles off the road and are not silly. RIde around and count how many rusted out junkers with cracked windshields, broken headlights and bad brake systems remain on the road in FLorida. Yes, inspection requires the payment of a fee and is time-consuming, but well worth it
I for one cannot stand those with broken glass, missing mirrors and stinky cars with blue and black smoke. I think maybe if people don't want inspections, our "Community Service" officers that cannot write moving tickets sure as heck need to look out for these types of cars. Just my opinion.

Oh and and you can drive a beater and be a better driver than the guy with the Lexus, but I can see where you are trying to go with this point.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:51 PM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,051 times
Quote:
Insurance rates are not based on a ratio of junkie vehicles. That is not what was stated. Auto inspections prevent junkers from remaining on the roads year after year. Basically, a yearly inspection forces the owner to keep the vehicle operating safely. For example, if the brakes are not functioning properly, the car will fail inspection. The brakes must be repaired in order for the auto to continue to be operated on roads. Do you want a car coming up on you from behind with good brakes or bad brakes?
I might have overstated it a bit but I was responding to your suggestion that state inspections weed out junkie vehicles which in turn influence the insurance companies to lower rates in states that have inspections. I would accept that argument if you could prove that rates are lower (per capita) in states that have inspections.

Ofcourse you know I would want every car behind me to have good brakes, better still that he be a good and sober driver. But those annual inspections are just one of those bureaucratic "thingies" that make us feel that we are being looked after. Periodic inspections can't possibly keep all the millions of bad brakes off the street.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I for one cannot stand those with broken glass, missing mirrors and stinky cars with blue and black smoke. I think maybe if people don't want inspections, our "Community Service" officers that cannot write moving tickets sure as heck need to look out for these types of cars. Just my opinion.

The cracked windshield is a dead give-away that the driver has no car insurance since windshields have to be replaced for free in Florida and your insurer can't drop you for it...no good reason to drive with a cracked windshield if you have car insurance. I give those cars a wide berth on the road .

The smoke out the tailpipe, I assume you can be pulled over for, that must be a ticketable offense . I feel bad for people when that's happening to their cars - no one wants to drive around that way - yet, I want that car off the road too .

Old 05-14-2008, 05:24 PM

236 posts, read 1,085,389 times
Just because a car can be driven, does not mean that it should be driven. It always irks me that I will get pulled over in a commercial vehicle for having a headlight out while someone drives past in a car with no fender, let alone a headlight.

I have seen people drive their car until the wheel literally falls off. The neglect of a $100 repair turns into a major ordeal for the driver and many innocent passersby.

Safety inspections should be mandatory for all vehicles. At least once a year, somebody that knows what they are looking at should make sure nothing bad is going to happen.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:30 PM

702 posts, read 2,184,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riveree View Post
The smoke out the tailpipe, I assume you can be pulled over for, that must be a ticketable offense .
I don't think it is...

I got this far with the statutes, it lists Emissions, but does not see to go into any type of detail.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2007->Chapter 325 : Online Sunshine

Old 05-14-2008, 06:29 PM

53 posts, read 305,189 times
Quote:
The cracked windshield is a dead give-away that the driver has no car insurance since windshields have to be replaced for free in Florida and your insurer can't drop you for it...no good reason to drive with a cracked windshield if you have car insurance. I give those cars a wide berth on the road .

The smoke out the tailpipe, I assume you can be pulled over for, that must be a ticketable offense . I feel bad for people when that's happening to their cars - no one wants to drive around that way - yet, I want that car off the road too .

Yes, you are correct that cracked windshields on cars registered in Florida must be replaced by the insurance company without a deductible. In other words, insurance company pays in full. States which have a yearly state safety inspection, charge the owner the deductible which they have set on their policy.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:49 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apanda View Post
I don't think it is...

I got this far with the statutes, it lists Emissions, but does not see to go into any type of detail.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes :->2007->Chapter 325 : Online Sunshine
Wow....that's not good .

Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 PM

23 posts, read 123,733 times
Quote:

Au-contraire Riveree. I have never been without car insurance but have a stone caused "star" in my windshield. I choose not to have it replaced because my personal experience is that the installation of the replacement is likely never to be as good as the original installed by the vehicle manufacturer. The last time I had one replaced because it was cracked too badly to leave it the replacement whistled at speeds over 25 mph. Although the whistle was fixed it always leaked slightly afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville