Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:05 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,734,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin View Post
As a former Floridian, who now lives in Utah, consider yourselves lucky you don't have to put up with periodic safety inspections, which are an anachronistic program that no longer has anything to do with safety, and is all about collecting fees, giving repair opportunities to mechanics, employing unnecessary bureacrats, and making customers for vendors of safety inspection equipment.
I once failed an inspection for a supposed cracked windshield at a station in NJ. Turns out it was really a smear from spilled coffee and not a crack. I agree with you that it's all about revenue and has little to do with vehicle safety or emissions. Luckily for Florida, Big Daddy is not as big here as he is in many other states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 10:02 AM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,669 times
Vehicle inspections are a pain but very important, I think Florida is way behind the curve on this one. As mentionned earlier, helps keep toxic emissions down, plus they catch things like broken lights, etc.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:54 PM

53 posts, read 305,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
Vehicle inspections are a pain but very important, I think Florida is way behind the curve on this one. As mentionned earlier, helps keep toxic emissions down, plus they catch things like broken lights, etc.
I vehemently agree, rtt!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:03 PM

We covered this topic in another thread but, to repeat, toxic vehicular emissions may be a big problem in other cities but because of our flat topography and the wind patterns here it is not that much of a concern to merit yet another bureaucracy.

Brakes and other safety issues might be a better argument for inspections although my guess is that most accidents are caused by careless drivers not failing parts. Things like broken lights can be easily detected by the police.

Old 06-21-2008, 05:48 PM
rtt

302 posts, read 812,669 times
I don't get the impression that the police easily detect alot of traffic violations. Would they ever pull someone over because they were missing a head or tail light? They don't even pull over speeders. (although I have to say this summer I've noticed more enforcement of speeding laws on JTB and a little on A1A)

Old 06-21-2008, 06:25 PM

53 posts, read 305,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
I once failed an inspection for a supposed cracked windshield at a station in NJ. Turns out it was really a smear from spilled coffee and not a crack. I agree with you that it's all about revenue and has little to do with vehicle safety or emissions. Luckily for Florida, Big Daddy is not as big here as he is in many other states.
Small cracks usually caused by stones and pebbles thrown from or off of other vehicles or trucks can be repaired without replacement. If the crack is small and not within the visual range of the driver, they can be plugged successfully.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:39 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,453,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtt View Post
I don't get the impression that the police easily detect alot of traffic violations. Would they ever pull someone over because they were missing a head or tail light? They don't even pull over speeders. (although I have to say this summer I've noticed more enforcement of speeding laws on JTB and a little on A1A)
When my husband had his old Jeep, it had electrical problems (imagine that ) and we sometimes had one or the other brakelight go out. He was pulled over once for that while driving down Atlantic Blvd (no ticket, just a discussion, which was very nice ).

Old 09-28-2008, 11:23 AM

1 posts, read 2,998 times
Question do you need to inspect cars in florida

I just moved to florida . Does my car need to be state inspected?

Old 09-28-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeannaking View Post
I just moved to florida . Does my car need to be state inspected?
No.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:42 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,984,152 times
The only inspection that's done is a VIN check when you register your car. Other than that, there are no other inspections (brakes, lights, emissions - none of that).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville