Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2021, 02:01 PM

73 posts, read 80,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Virus sized particles will pass right through any cloth/paper mask. Sure the cloth/paper will stop particulate matter, snot, droplets, etc, but airborne virus will go right through.

Only N95 or higher rated filters can effectively prevent virus sized particles.
If you walk into any hospital COVID ward with just a paper mask, you will be thrown right out unless you have an N95 on.

Its science, not politics, unless everything they taught me in medical school was wrong.
Mandating people to wear an ineffective piece of paper on their face is pure politics.
In the COVID ward, people wear surgical masks unless they are in the room of a COVID patient, in which case they wear N95s, gowns and face shields. That's what they do at the level 1 trauma center covid ICUs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2021, 12:06 PM

9,394 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Per the Superintendent, all employees and visitors to SJC schools are now MANDATED to wear masks. Not to play "I told you so" but this is how I suspected this would go all along. Students still optional.......for now, that very well could change in the next few weeks too if and when the numbers continue to rise.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:14 PM

661 posts, read 867,522 times
Florida cases have been dropping steady the past 2 weeks. Of course it's only news worthy in some media outlets.

Old 08-24-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Florida cases have been dropping steady the past 2 weeks. Of course it's only news worthy in some media outlets.
Not sure about that.

8/11: 24,753 new cases, 7-day average of 21,169 new cases
8/24: 42,143 new cases, 7-day average of 21,329 new cases

Old 08-25-2021, 06:35 AM

486 posts, read 516,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Not sure about that.

yeah the only question now is if we have plateaued or if we have hit a testing limitation. They have not gone down. Some counties are showing decreases however. The schools all seem to be showing signs of exponential growth however. For example here in Nassau county, our weekly numbers have dropped by about 100 cases a week for the past two weeks. The cases in the schools however have doubled in that same time period.

Old 08-25-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Not sure about that.

Guess it just depends on which source you believe. I check all world data and even new york times shows drop in cases whether I filter Florida-All counties, just St Johns, Just Duval. Steady drop in daily and 7 day averages. To hell with optimism!

Old 08-25-2021, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromicide View Post
Guess it just depends on which source you believe. I check all world data and even new york times shows drop in cases whether I filter Florida-All counties, just St Johns, Just Duval. Steady drop in daily and 7 day averages. To hell with optimism!
My figures were taken directly from the NY Times. Feel free to plug in those exact dates to verify. And let's remember these are only the cases that have been formally diagnosed, there are also going to be thousands upon thousands of folks who don't get tested and simply stay home.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:31 AM

33 posts, read 27,610 times
My understanding (which would explain the difference in data you two are finding) is due to the change in criteria used in the time frame referenced. Initially, the 'new cases' were being based on 'date reported'. After further examination, they changed this to reflect 'date of infection' I believe. This dramatically changed the curve, showing a more accurate downward trend in cases. I could dig up the article, but no time for that. You may both be right, although I would argue that 'date of infection' is a more accurate representation of the state of things.

Old 08-25-2021, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheMove3210 View Post
My understanding (which would explain the difference in data you two are finding) is due to the change in criteria used in the time frame referenced. Initially, the 'new cases' were being based on 'date reported'. After further examination, they changed this to reflect 'date of infection' I believe. This dramatically changed the curve, showing a more accurate downward trend in cases. I could dig up the article, but no time for that. You may both be right, although I would argue that 'date of infection' is a more accurate representation of the state of things.
How in the world could anyone determine a "date of infection???" That capability does not exist, nor could not exist. Symptoms can appear anywhere from 2 to 14 days after infection so it could literally be over two weeks from when someone was diagnosed/reported from when someone was actually infected.

Old 08-25-2021, 12:03 PM

Still we both look at data posted by the NYT and one of sees down trend and the other shows up? I literally just google 'st johns county covid cases' and the first thing in the results in a chart that you can filter by state, county, all time, last 30 days, last 1 week etc... it clearly shows the peak 3 weeks ago and the last two weeks down by an appreciable number.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville