Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 02:28 PM

82 posts, read 246,734 times

Advertisements

alot of good info here...thanks everybody....i'll take any info anyone else wants to throw out....she does have a car and willing to drive a distance....how's the morning commute in jax?? if she were in ga. and coming south into jax...is that the best way to be driving???

we have no kevlar...but we may invest...lol.

are there any apartments or short term hotels/suites near this area....my daughter said she had been told there were some that they have used for other short term people???

thanks again...i really appreciate your time

stevio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2008, 02:40 PM

353 posts, read 1,149,431 times
If she lived in GA she would hop onto I95 and it's a 30-35 minute straight shot with no traffic. VERY easy commute between the 2 areas.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:00 PM

82 posts, read 246,734 times
she will be getting housing assistance.....50% of the cost....so i figure an apartment/place 600-800 a month...is this the going rate for something decent to good???

Old 05-16-2008, 06:04 PM

154 posts, read 645,849 times
No way would I recommend a 20yr old co-op student to stay in St. Mary's, GA for the Summer. That couldn't be any more boring. I would recommend to look around UNF campus/St. Johns Town Center Area. She could jump on 9A to get to work. I would also look for a Studio Apt instead of those Extended Stay places. Come down one weekend with your daughter to visit if possible and make your choice. Good Luck!

Old 05-16-2008, 07:56 PM

353 posts, read 1,149,431 times
I was only recommending based on cost of living and general safety of the area..thats all.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:39 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Oh, come on! I get that the OP would be overly protective of his youngest daughter, but send her to Georgia? Please.....there are developmentally disabled folks who live safely and peacefully in Jax, I'm sure this young woman will be able to handle it!

What kind of lifestyle does she want?

I'd suggest Southbank/San Marco if she wants to experience a safer side of the big city. I was checking out property management companies and thought this site was good. It has a lot of the little, older places. All may not be in the best areas, but I know that many are. Even though they want a year lease, wouldn't hurt to call them and pick their brains. sanmarcoproperties.com

And if you all are members of a church, call a church in the area- they may know of someone needing to rent a room, they may know of a landlord who will go for three or four months with a good reference, may know of someone who just needs to pay the mortgage on a vacant place for a couple of months.

I'm sure that St. Marys is nice, but what a schlepp. And she may not mind that. But there are numerous places in and around town that would be suitable. That's what is cool about Jax- you can be a beachie, a townie, you can live in the sticks, the burbs......What lifestyle does she want to live?!

Old 05-16-2008, 09:42 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingfood View Post
may I suggest hotel suites with weekly/monthly rates? move around different rooms if it seems necessary. Not sure if there are much apartments for such short term...hang out at avenue's mall, st johns town center, stay away from her work area except for work...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaroo View Post
Yes, if she is willing to drive all the way to St. Marys, GA, then there are certainly nicer parts of town in Jacksonville she can stay in too...I'm sure there are some extended stay type places in Southside of Jacksonville or by the Town Center.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickP View Post
No way would I recommend a 20yr old co-op student to stay in St. Mary's, GA for the Summer. That couldn't be any more boring. I would recommend to look around UNF campus/St. Johns Town Center Area. She could jump on 9A to get to work. I would also look for a Studio Apt instead of those Extended Stay places...

I'm going to echo what Travelingfood, Jackaroo and SlickP said - try an extended stay hotel in Jax.

There is a Homewood Suites in the Saint Johns Town Center. This is an upscale shopping center (Louis Vuitton, Coach, etc.) and it is active both day and night - it's a hotspot. It's all new construction, so the Homewood Suites should be very nice. The commute to Downtown should be 25 or so minutes:

Simon.com - Tenant Details

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Oh, come on! I get that the OP would be overly protective of his youngest daughter, but send her to Georgia? Please.....there are developmentally disabled folks who live safely and peacefully in Jax, I'm sure this young woman will be able to handle it!

What kind of lifestyle does she want?

I'd suggest Southbank/San Marco if she wants to experience a safer side of the big city. I was checking out property management companies and thought this site was good. It has a lot of the little, older places. All may not be in the best areas, but I know that many are. Even though they want a year lease, wouldn't hurt to call them and pick their brains. sanmarcoproperties.com
HIF suggested another one of our hotspots - San Marco. If you can find a short-term stay here, I bet she'd love it and the commute would be about 10 minutes .

Old 05-16-2008, 09:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Okay, I know I said not to shelter the young woman, but I myself would be concerned about my safety in an extended stay..... haven't there been incidents in several of them this past year?

Old 05-16-2008, 10:02 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Okay, I know I said not to shelter the young woman, but I myself would be concerned about my safety in an extended stay..... haven't there been incidents in several of them this past year?
Hmm...I don't know . Some of the older ones look nasty, but at least at the SJTC there is mall security around, restaurants open in the evening, so I think that would be helpful.

For a short-term stay, there just aren't many options unfortunately.

A 20 year old should be fine, she just needs to be on the alert like she would be anywhere. By 20, I had already wandered out West and back to the East Coast again, travelled in Europe...and I lived to tell the tale .

Old 05-17-2008, 07:24 AM

15 posts, read 52,788 times
Default Agree with jackaroo

Try looking around San Marco. Very close to interstate and plenty of dining and night life spots in walking distance. Plenty of the young croud as well. There are a couple of nicer extended stay places in San Marco and a lot of apartment of garages type rooms for rent.

Good luck to her!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
View detailed profiles of: