Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2021, 09:46 AM

661 posts, read 866,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brads1123 View Post
I have a young family as well and we are visiting St Johns county for the 2nd time in two weeks.

Nocatee is essentially sold out until they release more lots...so we are looking into places like Mill Creek, Shearwater and Rivertown.

Do you think it will be easy for kids to make friends out there without being in the heart of the "action" in Nocatee?
Younger kids make friends easier. It's the older kids that struggle to squeeze into existing groups of friends. The good thing is, when you move here your kid is only the 'new kid' for about 1 day. On Tuesday, there's a new kid in class. and again on Wednesday

Nocatee is no different. Getting kids involved in sports is the sure fire way not only for the kids to make friends, but parents too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2021, 05:30 PM

6 posts, read 5,039 times
There may be a couple more "advantages" to moving to Florida, but I would start asking about the "disadvantages", in which there are many. lack of good healthcare is one, along with really crappy weather for 8 months of the year, crappy food as well. call an insurance company in Florida, ask them what their rates are, for both auto & home. Lots of bloggers out there promoting Florida(where ever), but few give the real insights of life in Florida including most residents. Call a real estate broker in Florida, ask how many people are moving out, the number may surprise you. almost 90% of people that have moved to Florida, have decided to move again, just the stats. Hate to be negative, but truthful wins over. Do your homework. Ooh and the huge bugs and snakes & alligator's. No thanks

Old 10-15-2021, 06:00 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluetTimber View Post
There may be a couple more "advantages" to moving to Florida, but I would start asking about the "disadvantages", in which there are many. lack of good healthcare is one, along with really crappy weather for 8 months of the year, crappy food as well. call an insurance company in Florida, ask them what their rates are, for both auto & home. Lots of bloggers out there promoting Florida(where ever), but few give the real insights of life in Florida including most residents. Call a real estate broker in Florida, ask how many people are moving out, the number may surprise you. almost 90% of people that have moved to Florida, have decided to move again, just the stats. Hate to be negative, but truthful wins over. Do your homework. Ooh and the huge bugs and snakes & alligator's. No thanks
I tend to believe this is a burner account created by someone who posts nothing but anti-FL posts to try and sway people from moving into "his" state. Look at all of his posts.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:10 AM

486 posts, read 516,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I tend to believe this is a burner account created by someone who posts nothing but anti-FL posts to try and sway people from moving into "his" state. Look at all of his posts.
I agree with you on that... his post exaggerates any negative and it really doesn't ring true for NE FL.

Weather is awesome Oct - Apr in NE FL. Then its on the hot side in May and September. The oppressive heat is in the summer months... like just about everywhere else in the US. Now the rest of the months will be hotter than northern months for sure, but if you like hotter temps it is pretty ideal and you will get a taste of the seasons here in NE FL, unlike much of the rest of the state. We can even get downright cold in the beginning of the year, days below freezing are not unheard of.

Huge bugs... get a service or stay on top of your diy pest control... really no different.

Snakes... I have yet to see a poisonous one since moving here 4 years ago. I see lots of Garter snakes and Black Racers... completely harmless to humans.

Alligators... my community has exactly one that has been seen in the past 5 years, and it is not a large one. It is more afraid of people than we are of it.

That move in/move out flux can been seen just about everywhere in the US. Once people decide to uproot their lives from one area, it is a heck of a lot easier to do it again. I have lived in three states, and the urge to move again is always strong since I have done it before... I just call it wanderlust and instead focus on getting 2nd and 3rd properties in those places because overall it is just cheaper to have my home base in Florida.

Morale of the subject, no place is perfect. If you are ready for a change of pace and it will not impact you financially in a negative light, try somewhere new.

Old 10-15-2021, 06:23 AM

14,931 posts, read 12,130,043 times
Quote:
So you'll take their money but not their votes....got it.
Nobody's twisting their arms to come to FL. On the contrary, many of us would be happy at having a letup in the masses moving to FL, it's too crowded now as it is.

And unequivocally NO, we do not want their "blue" votes, the consequences of which have created the liberal hellholes from which many of them say they are trying to escape in their move to the Sunshine State. Why would anyone with any rational thought seek to recreate those conditions in their new surroundings??????

Old 10-15-2021, 06:40 AM

9,382 posts, read 8,348,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Nobody's twisting their arms to come to FL. On the contrary, many of us would be happy at having a letup in the masses moving to FL, it's too crowded now as it is.

And unequivocally NO, we do not want their "blue" votes, the consequences of which have created the liberal hellholes from which many of them say they are trying to escape in their move to the Sunshine State. Why would anyone with any rational thought seek to recreate those conditions in their new surroundings??????
FL is and has been almost half blue, half red for many many years now. So when you say "we don't want" you're only speaking from one side of things. There are PLENTY of blue/Liberal voters who would welcome these NYers and their blue votes.

Can't stop them!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2021, 07:50 AM

1,558 posts, read 2,149,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluetTimber View Post
Quote:
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottamemnon View Post
I agree with you on that... his post exaggerates any negative and it really doesn't ring true for NE FL.

Weather is awesome Oct - Apr in NE FL. Then its on the hot side in May and September. The oppressive heat is in the summer months... like just about everywhere else in the US. Now the rest of the months will be hotter than northern months for sure, but if you like hotter temps it is pretty ideal and you will get a taste of the seasons here in NE FL, unlike much of the rest of the state. We can even get downright cold in the beginning of the year, days below freezing are not unheard of.
It's funny, I used to be the guy that couldn't stand the hot humid summer months in NJ. My wife wanted to move here back in 2015 and I reluctantly said yes. Fast forward 6+ years and with my blood "thinning" (I know it's a myth, or is it?), I b**ch and complain when it get's below 70 around here. I absolutely love the weather from about March to November and it's not like I'm sitting inside when it's super hot. My kid plays on 2 baseball teams and I coach so I'm outside most days in some capacity for 2 hours+ when it's 90+ degrees. I need another place further south from Dec - Feb.

As for insurance rates, my auto rate is actually lower here than it was in NJ and I had the best auto insurance in NJ (NJ Manufacturers). Homeowners? Yes, it's definitely more expensive especially out here at the beaches ($800/yr in NJ vs $2,800/yr FL). But let's not forget the property taxes. We were paying $13k/yr for a 2000 sqft home in NJ (now $18k from what I understand) vs $4,500/yr for a 3000 sqft home in FL. Net net, we're still in the black for $6500 savings per year. Oh and let's not forget, no state income taxes.

Healthcare? Mayo Clinic is pretty bad I heard...

Snakes and Alligators? C'mon dude... grow a pair

Last edited by Ivan Putski; 10-15-2021 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-15-2021, 09:00 AM

13 posts, read 19,913 times
I think there are advantages and disadvantages wherever you live. NJ/NY to Florida - does the good outweigh the bad? As far as dining, there appear to be decent restaurants and I anticipate more opening up soon as there's an influx of new yorkers.
I keep hearing about people who moved to FL and then moved back to NY but I have yet to actually meet one. Everyone I know who has made the move has been much happier than they ever expected.

Old 10-15-2021, 11:17 AM

486 posts, read 516,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan Putski View Post
100%

. But let's not forget the property taxes. We were paying $13k/yr for a 2000 sqft home in NJ (now $18k from what I understand) vs $4,500/yr for a 3000 sqft home in FL. Net net, we're still in the black for $6500 savings per year. Oh and let's not forget, no state income taxes.
The tax part is even better over time too. Your valuation can only go up by 3% a year, which is awesome for periods of time like now, when values are skyrocketing. You also get to port over the difference in market value and your current valuation when you sell your house and buy a new one in Florida. Really love the Save Our Homes act.

Also homestead act limiting your exposure as well. Even more for veterans and over 65.

This is a great comparison with a state like Texas... where it can go up by 10% a year(and unlimited% for year 1), and the portability of your under value amount is not carried over to a new property. Many people are leaving Texas because of the property tax increases for Florida.

Cars are dirt cheap after you have them registered here as well. No excise taxes, no inspection fees, etc. Get ready for a lot when you bring them here though.. like $350 per vehicle if I remember correctly.

Its all of these tax advantages that will ensure that Florida is my primary home location for the rest of my life. Thankfully it doesn't appear as though anyone really wants to add taxes on top, not red, not blue, nor something else.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:47 PM

323 posts, read 259,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseyWales90 View Post
In a perfect world politics wouldn't matter. But the quality of life decreases substantially when left wing voters start moving into an area. People understandably don't want their nice areas to eventually deteriorate like NY, Chicago, California, etc. And many people fleeing these areas have zero self-awareness.

Florida is one of the best states in the US. It needs to stay that way.
Most Red states are in the worst condition because of "red votes." The top 10 poorest states and states that are most dependent on federal welfare are as follows: Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kentucky, West Virginia, South Carolina, Tennessee, and New Mexico.

The only state of that list that went for Biden this last election was New Mexico, and it was still close.

Blue states like California, Connecticut and New York, subsidize low-tax conservative cesspools throughout the Bible belt — in a big way.

Democratic-voting areas fuel a whopping two-thirds of the American economy. Republican-led parts of the United States, on the other hand, are hugely unproductive.

The economic divergence between red and blue states is staggering — and growing rapidly. While income and education levels are increasing at a swift rate in Democratic areas, they are stagnant or declining in red states.

The Opioid epidemic is also most problematic and rampant throughout red state cesspools. These are places chock full of welfare, crime, drug use, poor education, lack of medical care and general ignorance.

Florida is a rare exception... However, Florida isn't a full on "red state," it's about half and half. There are tons of liberal/blue voters here...and more are coming.

Also, all the fastest growing and economically healthy areas of Florida are the Blue areas: Miami metro, Orlando metro, Tampa Bay metro, Jacksonville, Gainesville and the Tallahassee area. These are the areas that pull in the most tourist dollars as well; these are the places that people want to visit and/or live when they come here... Isn't that curious..
If you removed these "Blue areas" from Florida, with all their economic might and tourist dollars they bring to the state, Florida would be reduced to the likes of Mississippi or Alabama. Thank goodness for those "Blue areas!"

To further hit the point home, California's GDP last year was $3.2T, representing 14.6% of the total U.S. economy. -- It's the worlds 5th largest economy on it's own.

Make no mistake -- Blue America is far better off than red America.

So what's Q'anon saying these days?? -- Trump going to be reinstated by Christmas?? I'll let you get back to your Plandemic video now. Remember, the vaccine is equipped with a microchip so the government can monitor you. Keep away from it at all costs! -- Freedom!!

Last edited by MarcBetrus; 10-15-2021 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Jacksonville